Your First Cruise

Bridge Maven

I went only because my husband wanted to go so badly. I worked on a cruise ship for several years and when I left I swore I would never step foot on one again. My DH and I did a 5-nighter out of New Orleans on the Carnival Holiday and had bad weather every day save for one with the rain coming down sideways as we sailed away. But nonetheless, we had the time of our lives and haven't looked back since.

Now I can't get enough of them, so never say never.... ;)

Prior to taking your first cruise, did you think it was going to be a once in a lifetime experience or the type of vacation you would take on a regular basis if you enjoyed it?

I went on my first cruise blind eyed in 2004 on the Summit. It was to celebrate my engagement, booked by my MIL. It was an inside cabin, and I was terrified before we sailed not knowing much about anything about ships. They were on cruises before, and I was pleasantly surprised. I fell in love with it instantly. I still remember when I piled way too much food on my plate in the buffet at that first lunch on the ship.

I couldn't imagine a year go by any more without a cruise. We always get a balcony now, and my husband loves the balcony too. Although back then, they used to tell me "we only sleep in the rooms, all you need is a cheap inside cabin". We only sail 2 weeks in a year, and book for the next cruise before getting off the ship :D

My first cruise was with my parents in 1979 aboard Carnival's Festival for a 7 day Caribbean trip. At that time, I believe she was the largest cruise ship sailing out of Miami at an earth shattering 38,000 tons. I am now about to embark on my umpteenth voyage aboard Solstice at 122,000 tons in May from Florida to Barcelona.

The most memorable thing about that trip was not the ship or the islands but rather when we arrived for dinner on the first night in the MDR to find the three of us white folks had been seated with a large African American family who were celebrating the senior's anniversary. My parents being depression era babies from Ireland were by no means bigots but clearly out of their comfort zone they were taken aback and not sure they would fit in. Well they stayed and for the next 20 plus years a wonderful friendship amongst the families thrived until, sadly, age and sickness took their toll. The cruise instilled in me two things, a lifelong passion for liners and ocean travel but more importantly at the age of 12, I discovered the value of not judging people by their skin color.

My first cruise was on Century - 11 nights out of Barcelona. I thought it was a once in a lifetime trip through the Med with a good friend. Little did I know that I would be completely hooked before sailaway! Now I have a serious two cruise/year habit and I'm working on getting more of my friends and family hooked. :D

I think I did my first cruse about 15 years ago...always was a resort person before that. I just enjoy all the different locations the ship and overall the best value for the money now. Where else get all the food you want and entertainment in one. Its great meet great people always and just enjoy them.

My first cruise years ago - I was more than a little apprehensive. We went with my parents. None of us was sure if it would be a one-time event or something we'd occasionally do. I was worried that the kids would fall overboard, DM was worried that she'd be seasick the whole time. Neither one happened & we started cruising yearly after that. In fact, like so many others, I find that I go into cruise withdrawal if we don't have one booked that I can look forward & plan for!

My husband and I took our first cruise on SS Leonardo da Vinci, during the middle seventies, for our honeymoon. At that time people use to joke that cruises were for the newlywed and the nearly dead, so we assumed it would be a once in a life time experience. We loved our honeymoon cruise on SS Leonardo da Vinci, but cruising wasn't very child oriented at that time so we didn't take our second cruise until the nineties when our daughter was in college. At that time my husband and I decided to take at least one cruise a year, and we usually take two or three cruises a year. Meanwhile, our granddaughter, who is only three years old, took her fourth cruise last week and is in the process of planning her fifth, with a little help from her parents :)

We took our first cruise on Carnival with our 3 children (now adults) in 2003.

I remember the 5 of us driving up in the taxi to the port and were wowed by the sheer size of the ship. Hands down one of the best family vacations we ever had.

Fast forward to 2011 and we are going on our 8th cruise in December.

If it were up to my husband, this would be the only way to vacation. Having a new grandchild and another one arriving in a few months, I cannot wait to go on Disney in a couple of years to experience another wonderful family vacation.

If we could afford it (money and time) we would cruise twice a year, no question about it.

Our first cruise was on HAL's S.S. Volendam in 1979. We though for sure we would fall off the edge of the earth as we left land behind:D. Now, some 32 years and 37 cruises later (20 on Celebrity), we still haven't fallen off the edge of the earth. Still plan on looking for it until I'm looking up at the lawn instead of down.

Phil

Our first cruise was in 1986 on what is now the MSC Melody (then the Home Lines Atlantic). I was 5 months pregnant. We hit a hurricane coming back from Bermuda. I was green and couldn't take anything.

This was back when cruising was still somewhat of a luxury. My rich aunt and uncle cruised often. We thought it would be a once in a lifetime thing.

It took us a while to get back into cruising. And it was not because of our first experience - I loved it despite the storm. We bought a timeshare and went often to Aruba and we did the Disney thing.

But then we started cruising more. And as my signature says - looking to break 200 days at sea!

For my 40th birthday my family asked if I wanted a big party or if there was something else I would prefer. I immediately asked for a caribbean cruise (to be part of our annual holiday-far removed from Scotland!). Suffice to say DH and two children were far from happy and complained bitterly but I got my way and by two days in they were all asking when we could cruise again! Five cruises in with Royal DH and I are going on our first Celebrity cruise in september without children (both will be at university by then and they are NOT happy we are going without them).

We took our first cruise in 2004 with some friends on the wonderful Galaxy. Fell in love with the simplicity of cruising (not having to decide where to go to dinner, driving everywhere, etc.). Have been lucky enough to do it each year since. Just got back from our 8th on Celebrity, this year on Equinox, which we loved. For our last 5 cruises, we have been joined by my in-laws, who are now also cruise lovers! More choices for dinner, but we keep it simple and go to the MDR. Already trying to plan our next one!

Archived