Still Confused about ID's.

dcedar

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU PEOPLE MESSING WITH ME?????

LOL

Okay. I am no longer confused. I am going to bring my EDL, DL, Pistol Permit, Birth Certificate, A Blood Sample, A Urine Sample, My first Tooth, DNA report, Social Security Card, Sams Club Card, Credit Card, Shoppers Club Card, Hallmark Gold Crown Card, Ollies Army Card, Cotsco Card, and My Mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (She will tell them who I am)

P.S. I can go to Canada any time I wish with my EDL:)

Thanks for the informative replies some of you have left:)

or you could save the trouble and just bring a passport... but them Mom wouldn't get to go with you ;)

Have a wonderful cruise!

To get back to original question - a DL or EDL will be your government photo ID and birth certificate will be required to board. Passport or no passport is another thread.

I do agree Passport vs No Passport is another thread.

But, the OP is asking if the EDL is enough, and it is. He/she will not need a birth certificate with that. It is equivalent to a Passport Card.

(that said, I'd personally still take my birth certificate due to possible, um, human error of the agents checking, and not knowing what an EDL was, since there are only 5 or 6 states that have them...)

No passport...and no time to get one. I will bring the birth certificates just incase. I hate to bring them because if they are lost it is a pain in the ... to replace them. Better than not having them and needing them tough:) Ugh!!!!

I did not realize so few states have EDL's.

According to who?

We're talking about cruising, freakin' obviously if you want to go somewhere you NEED a passport you NEED a passport. For closed loop cruises in the US you don't need it. I have one for other travel, but for those who only cruise from the US, it is an unnecessary expense. My investments increase in value. As posted by a flight attendant in another thread, a couple of phone calls to Homeland Security and it wasn't a major, major hassle.

Those posts were made by the husband of a flight attendant. He admits that his wife had no idea what the circumstances of these people were, how long it took them to arrange for permission to travel, or if they were on the short list of people who can travel without a passport (you can find that list on the Homeland Security web site). Secondly, he also admitted that his wife had only observed this a couple of times. You cannot therefore make the assumption that it's easy as a few phone calls to get back into the US without a passport.

There have been posts from people on this board who did get back into the country-they had to purchase emergency passports- but in two of the cases I remember off hand, it took a couple of days to process.

I'm going to give it about....oh...maybe 6 months or so.......that the cruiselines will be mandating passports.......

People have been cruising with b.c.'s and id for years and years.......for some reason today it is too confusing for people to comprehend.....

Ummm, noooo. The cruise lines have never mandated passports; that is a government function. The cruise lines will have NO incentive to mandate passports that the government does not require.

No passport...and no time to get one. I will bring the birth certificates just incase. I hate to bring them because if they are lost it is a pain in the ... to replace them. Better than not having them and needing them tough:) Ugh!!!!

I did not realize so few states have EDL's.

You will provide an educational favor if you attempt to board without producing your BC first. See if you have any trouble. I would be interested in the outcome.

Have a great cruise! And don't worry about your BC. I doubt you'll lose it, and really, it's not all that much of a hassle to replace. Just $$$.:)

Ummm, noooo. The cruise lines have never mandated passports; that is a government function. The cruise lines will have NO incentive to mandate passports that the government does not require.

Yep. If it were solely up to the cruise lines, as long as you can prove you paid for your cruise, they wouldn't care. They are among the ones fighting to keep passports from being required.

Of course, once passports are required, that will eliminate an awful lot of threads on CC! ;)

You will provide an educational favor if you attempt to board without producing your BC first. See if you have any trouble. I would be interested in the outcome.

/quote]

I, too, would be interested to find out if the agents know about them down here.

And they won't. They would have absolutely no reason to and every reason NOT to.;);)

Oh believe me they will.......it seems there is alot of confusion lately and it will just get worse.......it seems some people don't know their left from their right these days:D

No, I don't believe you.;)

Ok then just mark my word:D

More and more people show up with the wrong docs....you didn't hear about this problem even a few years back.....Cruiselines have even added on their website that they suggest passports.

It's just a matter of time.......

Oh believe me they will.......it seems there is alot of confusion lately and it will just get worse.......it seems some people don't know their left from their right these days:D

Only the U.S. State Department/Homeland security can make and enforce passport rules and laws.

I hate conspiracy innuendos......

Just get one....end of worrying about it.

Ok then just mark my word:D

More and more people show up with the wrong docs....you didn't hear about this problem even a few years back.....Cruiselines have even added on their website that they suggest passports.

It's just a matter of time.......

More people are cruising, more people aren't reading their terms/conditions/documents required.....and, more are doing their own reservations knowing absolutely nothing about what's required and what is missing.

In the past, more and more people booked with reputable travel agents who hand-carried them through the process, assuring they had the proper documents......

The info on cruise websites has always been the same.......they reflect the laws of Homeland Security/Dept of State...who have the same language. I suggest, for your reading pleasure, you go to their website and check out WHTI - the wording is the same.

Cruise lines don't make up their own rules.....but, they are required to follow the rules and laws of the U.S.......including the wording in the ticket contract and terms and conditions.

I'm going to give it about....oh...maybe 6 months or so.......that the cruiselines will be mandating passports.......

People have been cruising with b.c.'s and id for years and years.......for some reason today it is too confusing for people to comprehend.....

Cruiselines cannot mandate passports for voyages where none is required.

You do realize that only the State Department can make laws about passports....right?

There is so much confusion on this topic it's insane. I spent all day today calling EVERYONE and I still got different answers. I leave for Mexico 3/19 and I have a Florida state issued laminated BC card - I can't blow the money on an expedited passport. Lots of unfortunate unexpected expenses recently:(

Here is a breakdown of what everyone I called had to say:

My Travel Agent - BC card and ID are fine (as long as it has a raised seal)

NCL - BC and ID are fine and they go by federal law and federal law currently says BC and ID are good for closed loop circuits.

Immigration - They said call LA Border Control and referred me to getyouhome.org (which is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative website)

WHTI - List's acceptable documents as Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced DL, Trusted Traveler Program Cards...But if you click on the special groups tab it explains that with a closed-loop cruises there is a clause that allows for BC and ID. But certain foreign ports may require a passport.

LA Customs Border Officer - BC and ID are fine, but it's up to the cruise line to determine if the BC you have will be approved.

Local Passport Office - BC cards are old and laws have changed so get a new BC

Travel Insurance Agent - Will not refund if you are denied boarding because of lack of documents, but knew nothing of the closed-loop clause and said passport required.

Florida State Vital Statistics - Said take current BC to any local passport office and see if they would accept it as a legal document. If they do, it's a valid copy and not a hospital copy.

So in conclusion I bought a new copy of my BC online, and will be using that and my ID, but I will first show my BC card just to see if it will pass :)

Next time around I'm just going to fork over the money for a passport, but this time I just can't.

Archived