Paris to Normandy cruises

Bojangles

Has any one taken this cruise from Paris to Normandy and did you enjoy it. We want to spend some time in Paris, and also see Normandy. We were thinking this might be a good way to combine the two. What is the trip like in between the two places. Last year we went on the Avalon trip on the Danube. We had some water problems and had to be bussed to the last two stops. It wasn't bad though. Would love to have information on the Paris Normandy trip.Thank you Donna

We did this cruise several years ago and have nothing but praise for it. It was outstanding. Docking in Paris was a great location. It was two block from the Metro and we could even buy tickets on the ship. We went into downtown Paris on our own the day we arrived on the ship and the day before we left. Just three or four Metro stops away. Being impressionist painting fans as well as a WWII buff, we found ALL the excurions to be outstanding. Food was great, and they even gave us Euros to pay for our lunch in Normandy.

Normady was our first river cruise. Last Oct. we did the AMA Legendary Danube cruise (also outstanding) and in Oct. we are book for the Uniworld River Tosca cruise in Egypt. The Uniworld Douro cruise is on our list for 2012!!

I think there is very little difference in the cruise lines. Our choice is made based on the itinerary!!!

Feel free to ask me any questions!!!

We have not been on it yet, but are booked for Viking's Nov 7 cruise. The itinerary really intrigued us and we have not been to that particular part of France yet.

If you don't go this year, I will be posting a blog daily during ours and a detailed review upon return.

Cheers,

We did this cruise with viking last April and spent 5 days in Paris pre-cruise. Parisis, to say the least, is fantastic. If you can, give yourself some extra time to experience the city.

The towns and villages between Paris and Normandy are unique and worth every moment that you spend in them. Monet's home in Giverny was a great attraction to experience and the medieval town of Rouen was something not to be missed.

Normandy - just not enough time!

I've seen the white cross's and star's of david in photo's and on tv but when I stood there among them the sacrafice that thay gave really hit home. Standing on a German bunker and looking out at the beach and the water and trying to fathom how far the soldiers and marines had to run just to get some cover is hard to put into words.

We want to go back to see Mont St Michel and this time rent a car and drive to the other beaches and spend more time in the Normandy countryside. Possible visit the German cemetary.

It is a great tour no matter which line you go with.

We did this river cruise in 2008 with Grand Circle Travel. It was our first river cruise and also our first trip to Europe. We weren't sure what to expect, but we absolutely loved it! Our river cruise started in Honfleur and ended in Paris. Normandy was a very humbling experience, and we had a wonderful tour guide for the day. Honfleur was a beautiful town. Picture perfect. We spent an afternoon with a local family at their home in Vernon. Delightful! One day we will definitely repeat this trip. Right now there are just too many new places for us to visit!

We also did Paris and Normandy with Uniworld - and loved it. The itinerary has changed a bit since our trip in 2008, but not significantly. Loved seeing Giverny, and then Monet's water lily canvases in the Orangerie in Paris.

The beaches in Normandy were a humbling experience... and we would also like to go back.

The River Baroness is getting a refurb, so will be "freshened" for the 2011 season. We were quite happy with the "old" look, but guess this is one of the last boats needing a refresh.

We are doing this cruise with Viking next month & will let you what we think of it.

Question for past Viking travelers - do the provide slippers & robes to all cabins?

On the trip that we did several years ago they did NOT provide either. We took the Viking trip from Chalon to Avignon.

We did this cruise several years ago and have nothing but praise for it. It was outstanding. Docking in Paris was a great location. It was two block from the Metro and we could even buy tickets on the ship. We went into downtown Paris on our own the day we arrived on the ship and the day before we left. Just three or four Metro stops away. Being impressionist painting fans as well as a WWII buff, we found ALL the excurions to be outstanding. Food was great, and they even gave us Euros to pay for our lunch in Normandy.

Normady was our first river cruise. Last Oct. we did the AMA Legendary Danube cruise (also outstanding) and in Oct. we are book for the Uniworld River Tosca cruise in Egypt. The Uniworld Douro cruise is on our list for 2012!!

I think there is very little difference in the cruise lines. Our choice is made based on the itinerary!!!

Feel free to ask me any questions!!!

Paris Normandy Paris on Viking will be our first river cruise (first cruise ever for me) looking forward to the sights as described also interested in local restaurants at city stops (other than but maybe including Paris). Do ships crew give advice, information or do you have any suggestions? I realize you did this cruise a while ago, but maybe?

Thanks in advance sbsz = email ssetnick@smu.edu

• 2 weeks later...

In other European cities where we did not have much time, we just hired a cab for a few hours to hit the highlights. Is this possible in Paris. I know they have a great metro system, but again our time will be limited. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

thanks

This was also our first European river cruise. We cruised Honfleur-Paris and then spent a week in Paris. We were so relaxed from the river that it took til the second day to get our "city" legs going. Would recommend Paris first and then the cruise. The food on board our boat was sooo good we did not eat dinners on shore. In Paris we ate at small bistros and places that we had researched--one was Polidor supposedly the oldest rest. in Paris. It was very good. We returned a few years later to another rest. we had enjoyed and it was not good. Current research in guide books and on line will be a big help and of course recent rest. visitors. Pat

Hi Maggie Mae,

Someone on this board posted that there are on-off buses in Paris now. I googled it and it is true. That would be a lot cheaper than a taxi. Have a wonderful time -- Paris is so beautiful. We don't take the Metro there anymore when we visit since we want to see it from above ground.

Sheila

Thanks for all the information. Someone on the board said at night is a good time to ride the bus and see all the lights. I think this would be a good idea. We will be on the river boat for seven days then in Paris for six. The last time we were in Paris we either walked. ( stayed on the left bank near Point Neaf Bridge), or took the hoho bus. Donna

We did the Paris to Normandy Cruise in Dec 2010 and really enjoyed it in spite of cool weather and some slush and snow. We came one day ahead and stayed in a small hotel near Gare de Nord. You can walk to most places from there though the metro is faster and the bus ride sounds nice at night. You can buy tickets into Paris, metro passes and the art/landmarks pass at the airport. You can see a lot of art and/or churches etc on the pass in two days then linger when the boat tour starts. We left our luggage and went sight seeing all day on arrival and then left our luggage on the boat the next morning and did the same until time for dinner on the boat. There were many highlights in Paris and on the cruise though the Normandy Beaches tour is especially moving.

Due to a second snow storm, we had to spend an extra two days in Paris at the end (my favorite place I have ever been stranded) but the snow melts quickly and Parisians and tourists were out and about anyway. The extra days were when we really walked around. The sights of Paris day and night are beautiful from the Eiffel Tower, Pompidou Center, Arc de Triomphe, and the Tower of Notre Dame (we hit this at twilight to see the lights come on!-also the view from the church in Montmartre is supposed to be good but is not when heavy snow is falling) and a night ride on a bus is also nice but nothing beats walking around the streets if you have time-in and out of the main tourist areas. That was true in the small towns the cruise stopped in as well. Have fun.

Archived