Getting to Vancouver and then back from Anchorage

MJN

Hi all, We are in the midst of planning our flights to Vancouver for our Alaska RCI cruise and then trying to get back from Anchorage from our post cruise/tour. It's become more complicated than we expected. Some airlines don't fly into Vancouver and those that do are more expensive. So if you fly into Seattle then you have to pay for either a train or a bus, which adds at least $100. plus per person, plus cab transfers. So then if you decide to fly direct to Vancouver to avoid all that and you book a round trip ticket you then have to fly from Anchorage to Vancouver and that turned out to also be complicated as Alaska air does not fly direct to Vancouver but you fly first to Seattle and get a connecting flight to Vancouver. YIKES. Tell me what I am missing here? What other airlines fly from Anchorage direct to Vancouver, or am I just better off flying one way and going from Anchorage straight home to Florida? I did see Air Canada had flights that flew from Anchorage to Toronto and then on from there. Thanks, I posted a similar question on the Alaska forum but thought perhaps there were some past Alaska cruisers who are no longer following those threads that might have some experience with this.

We did Vancouver/Anchorage in May 2008. There were 4 of us coming from 3 different locations. My roommate and I from Boston, MA, my mother from San Francisco, CA and my roommate's mom from Omaha, NE. Each of us flew from our respective states to Vancouver. All of us had to make at least one transfer somewhere. Coming home we all departed from Anchorage and flew back to our respective states. Again, we all had to transfer at least once.

Yes, it was pricey, but it was a lot less of a hassle than doing a RT out of Vancouver or Anchorage or Seattle AND a lot less expensive both in time and money.

I will say this much: When you arrive in Vancouver, forget about catching a cab. Take Limojet to your hotel or the ship. $45 for 3 of us and it was sweet! I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Here's the link: http://www.limojetgold.com/

Have a great cruise!

Theresa

I live in Miami and was able to get a flight from Anchorage to Miami. Forgot where it stopped on the way. It was a long flight, but that's the way to do it. We went to Vancouver a day before the cruise and after the cruise we rented a car in Anchorage and drove up to Denali. Drove back to Anchorage for flight home to Miami, not Vancouver/Miami.

When we did the Northbound Alaska Vancouver-Anchorage via Seward..We connected through Portland Wa. then into Vancouver..on the return we had a direct flight fom ANC-LAX...One of the highlights was our RCI contracted train transfers (GrandView Railroad Alaska) from Seward right to the doors of the Anchorage airport..Just remember to participate in this wonderful narrated train trip your flight can leave ANC no earlier than 1:30pm....

I live in the Vancouver area, and if we fly anywhere in the States, we usually end up driving across the border and fly out of Bellingham, WA or Seattle because it costs a lot less. The Canadian taxes, transborder taxes, and airport fees, etc all added up, make the transborder travel more expensive.

So, Seattle, or Bellingham might be airports to consider. Quickshuttle offers transfers from both airports to downtown Vancouver hotels and cruise ship terminal. Then perhaps find a flight from Anchorage back home.

We used the Amtrak last year when we flew into Seattle. It was less than $50 for a business class seat. The scenery was wonderful and the 4 hour ride was great. We will use it again if we return to Alaska. We did however have to fly back from Fairbanks and it was pricey!

Archived