A Passport "What Would You Do" Question

bankerbabe

We have friends that are going along with us on our cruise next month (SO EXCITED!!)

MONTHS ago, I'm talking late summer months ago, I provided our friends with passport applications, and the form that they would need to have the husband sign so that the wife could take the kids to get their passports while daddy was at work. I told her to call me when she needed the forms notarized, as I could do that for them (I'm a notary).

A couple of months go by, and I ask friends if they sent in their passport applications. They hadn't. But I figured I had done my part and that they are grown adults and can figure it out on their own from there.

Well, we now leave in 30 days and the kids don't have passports. It IS a closed loop cruise (Caribbean) and now the mom is in a bit of a panic because she doesn't have passports for the kids. I told her that she COULD use birth certificates only, even though passports are recommended. She's asked me to notarize everything for her tonight so that she can submit with an expedited passport application - at an additional expense.

She's asked me what I think about the expedited passport - if I think that she should just go with the birth certificates or spend the extra money. I honetly don't know what I would do if I were in her situation - I'm one of those OCD planners that wouldn't have waited so long so the whole situation is completely inconceivable to me.

If it were your friend asking for advice - expedited passport service or go with a birth certificate alone - what would you tell them?

We have friends that are going along with us on our cruise next month (SO EXCITED!!)

MONTHS ago, I'm talking late summer months ago, I provided our friends with passport applications, and the form that they would need to have the husband sign so that the wife could take the kids to get their passports while daddy was at work. I told her to call me when she needed the forms notarized, as I could do that for them (I'm a notary).

A couple of months go by, and I ask friends if they sent in their passport applications. They hadn't. But I figured I had done my part and that they are grown adults and can figure it out on their own from there.

Well, we now leave in 30 days and the kids don't have passports. It IS a closed loop cruise (Caribbean) and now the mom is in a bit of a panic because she doesn't have passports for the kids. I told her that she COULD use birth certificates only, even though passports are recommended. She's asked me to notarize everything for her tonight so that she can submit with an expedited passport application - at an additional expense.

She's asked me what I think about the expedited passport - if I think that she should just go with the birth certificates or spend the extra money. I honetly don't know what I would do if I were in her situation - I'm one of those OCD planners that wouldn't have waited so long so the whole situation is completely inconceivable to me.

If it were your friend asking for advice - expedited passport service or go with a birth certificate alone - what would you tell them?

I would tell her to save the money and just use birth certificates.

How many kids? What is the expedited cost? What is the woman's financial situation? Without knowing that, hard to say. Many many people sail with just birth certificates. And virtually nobody ever has a problem. And if there is one- they have their birth certificates and the US knows that it might happen. And has things in place to deal with these kinds of problems. Otherwise they would require passports. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Speaking as someone who has kids I would get the passports. I know you can use the birth certificate but believe me everything goes off without a hitch when you have a passport. When we decided to take our children on a cruise we went and got them a passport. There was no way I was taking a chance that something could happen to them while we were out of the country and no way to get them home. Plus, I didn't want any foreign officials questioning me about custody or permission to be there or whatever. I'm divorced and remarried and I can tell you with the passports noone has ever looked at us twice.

Now, if your friend feels comfortable risking that nothing happens and she has to fly her children home then tell her to use the birth certificates. Terrible that she would procrastinate so long. Good luck!

I would tell her to save the money and just use birth certificates.

Same here...

How many kids? What is the expedited cost? What is the woman's financial situation? Without knowing that, hard to say. Many many people sail with just birth certificates. And virtually nobody ever has a problem. And if there is one- they have their birth certificates and the US knows that it might happen. And has things in place to deal with these kinds of problems. Otherwise they would require passports. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

$60 each on top of the normal fees.

I too am a passport person - HOWEVER - on a closed loop (is Dad going with them) a birth certificate is fine. If they plan on travel in the future then I would get a passport but otherwise she will be fine. I would step back and tell them to deal with it how they wish, you can only coddle people so much - like another poster said "they are adults" If they get passports I would definitely NOT expediate them but they will have to send the original BCs and may not get it back on time. Whatever.

$60 each on top of the normal fees.

So- ($60 x # of kids) + (Cost of passport x # of kids)= probably a lot. I have 3 kids- I wouldn't do it. They will be fine frankly- and this from someone who got her first passport at 5 weeks and has had one all her life- >60 years. And my kids have had passports their entire lives. Always current since I never know when the urge to travel might take over. But having had them stolen- I know how good embassies are when there is a crises.

It's two kids, at $60 per kid ADDITIONAL cost, above the $105 for the passport. Plus an additional $12 for overnight shipping, each application.

Money is tight for them, or I wouldn't hesitate to tell her to do the expediting.

And I'm worried about the "what ifs" if the passport doesn't come in time, and she doesn't have a birth certificate anymore.

YIKES!!

But then again, according to the State Department, expediting passports are coming within 2-3 weeks. But we leave in 4. :(

I'd go and look at the birth certificates to make sure they are the right ones and not those hospital certificates that don't count!! Who knows what she has??

IF they are OK then fine.If not then she's in trouble unless the passports come on time!!

I'm leaning toward telling her that I think she should save her money and take the birth certificates - after I have a good look at them. I believe that she ordered them directly from the state recently, which was PART of the delay in applying for the passports, so they should be good ones.

The dad is also going on the cruise, all of their last names are the same, and if the BCs are what I think they are, they state right across the top in giant letters "Office of Vital Records".

I don't know how it works in Oregon, but here in Memphis, I can go to the local

Health Dept fill out a short little form and be out the door with a BC.

(The Legal kind that cruise lines want) in 15 minutes.

I would do that before I took the chance of sending one off in the US Mail.

(just in case, something happens at the health dept and they could not get it to me)

If she was to send it off without a backup copy, and it were to run late

or get lost in the mail, they would be waving bye bye as you sail away.

But then again, according to the State Department, expediting passports are coming within 2-3 weeks. But we leave in 4. :(

I'm a bit fan of passports for everyone, but that timeframe would be way too tight for my comfort.

There may be another option... there are offices where you can get same-day passports, but I don't know if there is one near you, or what extra fees might be charged.

At this late date, I think I would be inclined to go with the birth certificates if same-day is not an option.

Hopefully, your friends have taken travel insurance, which may defray some of the costs if '&***' happened. I would doubt that costs incurred as a result of not having appropriate documentation would be covered, though.

Good luck to you and your friend!

Wendy

I'm a bit fan of passports for everyone, but that timeframe would be way too tight for my comfort.

There may be another option... there are offices where you can get same-day passports, but I don't know if there is one near you, or what extra fees might be charged.

At this late date, I think I would be inclined to go with the birth certificates if same-day is not an option.

Hopefully, your friends have taken travel insurance, which may defray some of the costs if '&***' happened. I would doubt that costs incurred as a result of not having appropriate documentation would be covered, though.

Good luck to you and your friend!

Wendy

Funny you should mention travel insurance . . . . . . .

When they booked the cruise, I encouraged them to purchase travel insurance. They insisted that they didn't need it.

I keep reminding myself that they are grown adults and it's their problem if things don't work out. But I still have nightmares at night.

Given how they ignored the important stuff I also am not sure I would give any advice because now they are getting to that stage where anything can go wrong like having the wrong documents or certificate. I think I would just give her the website with the requirements are explained and let her deal with it and decide. If they don't allow one of them on the ship she could blame you over something like "You told me..."

Liability...

The most I would do is make sure that she understands that she has to have the right required Certified birth certificate so she has to do her homework quickly if that is what she selects.

Funny you should mention travel insurance . . . . . . .

When they booked the cruise, I encouraged them to purchase travel insurance. They insisted that they didn't need it.

I keep reminding myself that they are grown adults and it's their problem if things don't work out. But I still have nightmares at night.

Close your eyes and envision a stop sign - take a deep breath. Stop stressing and let them deal with it - all of your stuff is in order and that is all that counts.

At this point, I would say that you should NOT advise them at all. None. You led them by the hand at one point and they did nothing. Now at crunch time, things are messed up.

Just pass along facts, like BC will work or not work. Send off BC for passport and neither get arrive on time you SOL, etc. Just pass on facts and let her decide what to do. You've already done your part.

Archived