White Pass & Yukon Railroad boarding

travellingnana

Am I correct in understanding that if I buy my WPYR tix through Princess Cruises that I will board at the pier, and that if I buy the tix on my own that I will board at the train depot? If I buy the tix on my own and already have them in my hot little hand, do I still board at the depot? Do the people on the pier board first? I'm just asking because I have no idea how crowded the train gets, and I wanted to know if the extra money spent buying them through the ship is worth it. This will be mid-August, and I plan to take the train in the AM.

Thank you...I've never cruised before!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Yes if you book the YP&YR on your own you will need to walk or take a shuttle from what is known as the "Railway dock" to the station. You will have no trouble in getting on a train as the train you go on maybe well different that the train that leaves from the dock. They do leave some cars open for people boarding at the station. Obviously the cruise ships are by far the largest bookers of the train and the railway does not want to be competing with their largest customer.

What Putterdude says is correct. Two minor additions:

1. Some ships tie up at Broadway Pier (Holland America?) which is even a shorter walk to the station.

2. Sometimes the Railroad runs trains that for some reason the ships don't sell. If you want something specific you might look at the railroad's site. Last time we took the train we wanted to go all the way to Carcross and the ships weren't selling it - so there was a not insignificant group of us who bought our tickets in advance from the railroad and walked into town to catch it in the morning. We had a small consist with spare seats.

Does anyone know which option would be the least crowded? I wouldn't mind the short walk into town if it meant the car I was on had less people. I did read a review from someone who booked through the cruise line and they said it was very crowded and noisy. I didn't know if it was just that particular day or if it is common for the cruise booked cars to be jammed packed with people.

Does anyone know which option would be the least crowded? I wouldn't mind the short walk into town if it meant the car I was on had less people. I did read a review from someone who booked through the cruise line and they said it was very crowded and noisy. I didn't know if it was just that particular day or if it is common for the cruise booked cars to be jammed packed with people.

First, the number of cars on any tour depends on the number each cruise line reserves plus some that get on at the depot. When your ship comes into port you will see train cars at the Broadway Pier, and the Railroad Pier. Those cars are for the ships tours ONLY you have to show your tour tickets to get on. Then the engineers couples the cars from the pier to create the train. I don't know at what point they add cars for the walk-ups at the depot or whether they simply add people at the depot to the empty seats in the different cars. At least that was our experience in 2005 and again in 2009.

BTW, we were on Pacific Princess in 2009 and we docked on the right side (facing town) of Broadway pier. Perhaps we used that place because the ship is one of their small cruiseships.

I need some help as well from previous Alaska cruisers~

What is the difference or IS there any difference between White Pass Summit Rail and Yukon Rail??? I was trying to make a reservation with a private tour operator and I had a choice between Yukon Rail and the White Pass...what's the difference?? Do both ultimatley go to the same location? If not, which is better?

Thanks as always!

I need some help as well from previous Alaska cruisers~

What is the difference or IS there any difference between White Pass Summit Rail and Yukon Rail??? I was trying to make a reservation with a private tour operator and I had a choice between Yukon Rail and the White Pass...what's the difference?? Do both ultimatley go to the same location? If not, which is better?

There are 4 options:

- to the White Pass Summit and back by train only

- to Fraser (British Columbia) by train and back to Skagway by bus

- to Fraser by train, continue to Carcross (Yukon) and Emerald Lake by bus and then bus back to Skagway

- to Carcross by train and back to Skagway by bus

The further the better - the variety of scenery on the long tours will amaze you (from the coast to bare granite, alpine lakes and on to a desert).

There are 4 options:

- to the White Pass Summit and back by train only

- to Fraser (British Columbia) by train and back to Skagway by bus

- to Fraser by train, continue to Carcross (Yukon) and Emerald Lake by bus and then bus back to Skagway

- to Carcross by train and back to Skagway by bus

The further the better - the variety of scenery on the long tours will amaze you (from the coast to bare granite, alpine lakes and on to a desert).

We are booked with Dyea Dave in Skagway. Our choice is to take the van to Emerald Lake and then if the weather is nice, our option is taking the train back to Skagway-which we will probably do regardless of the weather. IMO the further you go, the better the trip.

It is really hard to predict, it really comes down to .... the obvious....how many tickets are sold. We have found it not overly crowded in either case but that may have just been the luck of the draw. Last year we had the car almost to ourselves when we booked at the station but I wouldn't want to hang my hat on that.

It looks like it will be fine either way. I actually like the afternoon time the best and would probably walk into town before the train left to look around anyway. I think booking direct would probably be best for me but I always have the fear of something I want being sold out. That is the main reason I would book through the cruise line - to guarantee my seat.

Archived