Deadly Protests in Bahrain Sparks Costa to Cancel Calls

Dan Askin

So cancel Bahrain and add Libya to our cruise at Xmas ! despite demonstrations there as well ! makes you wonder what is going on with them.

I really don't understand what you are talking about. Bahrain is substituted by Abu Dhabi or Muscat next week, not by Libya. I also looked at your sailing at XMas, and your ship was never supposed to call at Bahrain in the first place.

UKBayern ... I know we were not going to Bahrain, i was merely saying that the inclusion of an extra day and to go to Libya after Costa new that trouble had already started is somewhat strange to say the least.

Ron .... Costa added Libya 2 days ago which added a 6th night to the cruise which was 5 nights, have to wonder what will happen if problems continue in those countries! as i said strange choice knowing trouble had already started there.

We just disembarked from Deliziosa on Sunday. Obviously safety is paramount but do feel a liitle disappointed that our cruise only really lasted four nights with an extra day at Dubai. The ship seems to be a day late at every port this week suggesting they had a very long stay at Dubai over the weekend!

Hello, i'm writing from Bahrain ! :)

Other than the Pearl Roundabout, a small area in Manama, the nation is fine. There is absolutely no violence, the protesters' camp is more akin to a rock concert than a protest venue, with a stage, celebrations, food, even a make-shift barber shop opening up. I will not go into details about why violence was initially used, but yesterday I was there doing some photography- I do not personally agree with their cause, but it was just something that had to be seen !

Nonetheless, I doubt that the Kingdom will want people mixing with the protesters, so I doubt they will allow cruise ships to call here- from a safety point of view, I assure all that it is safe and all the travel warnings should be lifted in the very near future. In fact, quite honestly, the protests would be quite a tourist attraction (of course this cannot be the case for obvious reasons, but what am I trying to say is that in no way is it dangerous).

I can predict that cruise ships, unless some drastic changes are made, will not call in Bahrain until the Winter season.

Libya, on the other hand, is a different story in its entirety. Bahrain is not a dictatorship- the protesters want certain political changes- Libya is one (dictatorship), and it is unlikely that even after the fall of Ghaddafi things will calm down- there are to many factions within the nation, and no particular leader. Libya is not Egypt. Nonetheless Costa will not cancel cruises until you are atleast a few months out from the sailing.

I hope I did not stray too far off topic here- I know there are some political themes in my post but I find that necessary to clear things up about cruise ships calling in places which, incidentally, are suffering from political civil unrest.

Regards and greetings from Bahrain !

Archived