NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

My parents are currently on the February 11th sailing of the Norwegian Dawn and I have heard disturbing reports from them.

First, while still in the Miami port, the passengers were informed that they would not be able to make their first port of Samana due to "minor engine problems." Of course this was the only port that my parents had pre-booked an excursion at.

Next, even with skipping Samana, the ship arrived two hours late to the next port in Tortola (so they were only there for about 7 hours). Engine repairs were done, but apparently not very well. The top speed of the boat was 17 knotts and evidently two of the four engines are dead. The ship arrived as scheduled in St.John's, Antigua were engine repairs were attempted for the second time. Unfortunately these were also unsuccessful and the final two ports (Bridgetown, Barbados and Basseterre, Saint Kitts- Nevis) were cancelled and the boat was rescheduled at two different ports (St. Martin & St. Thomas). Instead of the pricy southern Carribean Cruise my parents purchased, they were given a much cheaper eastern Carribean Cruise.

The boat only arrived at two of the five ports scheduled, being two hours late to one of them! In my opinion, as well as that of most of the passengers my parents have talked to, this is completely unacceptable. Slight problems are understandable, but completely skipping three of five ports is not a minor problem.

The only positive thing I have heard is that the crew are doing their best- the food is great, the service is excellent. This does not, however, make up for the complete mess that the rest of the cruise has been.

You did not mention that an OBC of $200 was given to compensate the missed ports, plus 10% off next cruise.

Engine problems happen, and ports and not guaranteed, common knowledge, yes, I too would have been somewhat upset if I really wanted to see a specific port, but to call it a complete mess?

They did replace 2 of the port with st maarten and St Thomas...and with 2 full days left, they might even stop again...sorry I do not quantify this as a mess.

..by the way 17 knots is fairly respectable...NCL facebook confirms that the repairs were successful and are now cruising at 22 knots.

..just my opinion.

This happens from time to time ,ports are missed its all in the contract that they checked off on. If you book island tours with private operators this is the risk they take. If booked through the cruise line a full refund will be credited.

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

Here is our statement on Norwegian Dawn.

Norwegian Dawn experienced technical difficulties with one of the ship’s engines on Friday, February 11. As a result, the ship traveled at a reduced speed while the issue was being repaired which in no way impacted the safe operation of the vessel.

Based on this reduced speed, changes were made to the itinerary that included cancelling the call to Samana, Dominican Republic on Sunday, February 13 and replacing Barbados and St. Kitts with St. Maarten and St. Thomas on Wednesday, February 16 and Thursday, February 17.

Guests on board received a $200 per stateroom on-board credit and a 10% future cruise credit. We appreciate their understanding regarding this necessary itinerary change.

The repairs were completed on Wednesday, February 16, so, therefore, all future cruises for Norwegian Dawn will sail as scheduled.

My parents are currently on the February 11th sailing of the Norwegian Dawn and I have heard disturbing reports from them.

First, while still in the Miami port, the passengers were informed that they would not be able to make their first port of Samana due to "minor engine problems." Of course this was the only port that my parents had pre-booked an excursion at.

Next, even with skipping Samana, the ship arrived two hours late to the next port in Tortola (so they were only there for about 7 hours). Engine repairs were done, but apparently not very well. The top speed of the boat was 17 knotts and evidently two of the four engines are dead. The ship arrived as scheduled in St.John's, Antigua were engine repairs were attempted for the second time. Unfortunately these were also unsuccessful and the final two ports (Bridgetown, Barbados and Basseterre, Saint Kitts- Nevis) were cancelled and the boat was rescheduled at two different ports (St. Martin & St. Thomas). Instead of the pricy southern Carribean Cruise my parents purchased, they were given a much cheaper eastern Carribean Cruise.

The boat only arrived at two of the five ports scheduled, being two hours late to one of them! In my opinion, as well as that of most of the passengers my parents have talked to, this is completely unacceptable. Slight problems are understandable, but completely skipping three of five ports is not a minor problem.

The only positive thing I have heard is that the crew are doing their best- the food is great, the service is excellent. This does not, however, make up for the complete mess that the rest of the cruise has been.

There is already another long thread about this. It is fixed and they are no longer limping. :)

I am so excited to cruise this coming Feb.25th on the NCL Dawn I'm just beside myself. I haven't experienced any trouble on a cruise before but I've only been on one other cruise which was on the the NCL Pearl March, 2009, and it was a lovely time. Just to be on the ocean with the warmth of the sun will be just wonderful. I am so tired of the cold and snow. What ever happens.... happens.:)

I am so excited to cruise this coming Feb.25th on the NCL Dawn I'm just beside myself. I haven't experienced any trouble on a cruise before but I've only been on one other cruise which was on the the NCL Pearl March, 2009, and it was a lovely time. Just to be on the ocean with the warmth of the sun will be just wonderful. I am so tired of the cold and snow. What ever happens.... happens.:)

That's the Spirit !!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic . :D

Thank you for this update NCL. This is very much appreciated and reassuring for many of us future booked passengers.

Norwegian Dawn experienced technical difficulties with one of the ship’s engines on Friday, February 11. As a result, the ship traveled at a reduced speed while the issue was being repaired which in no way impacted the safe operation of the vessel.

Based on this reduced speed, changes were made to the itinerary that included cancelling the call to Samana, Dominican Republic on Sunday, February 13 and replacing Barbados and St. Kitts with St. Maarten and St. Thomas on Wednesday, February 16 and Thursday, February 17.

Guests on board received a $200 per stateroom on-board credit and a 10% future cruise credit. We appreciate their understanding regarding this necessary itinerary change.

The repairs were completed on Wednesday, February 16, so, therefore, all future cruises for Norwegian Dawn will sail as scheduled.

This happened to Carnival Destiny a few years ago and I am sure other ships too. The cruise line know the ship already has engine problems. But they refuse to cancel cruises and push their luck until the ship cannot function and some cruise is the unlucky ones that get an amended voyage or not much of a cruise

I could research my posting here about 7 months ago when this was announced. I posted that I was going to book a Dawn cruise but when heard about the engine problems, I changed my mind.

This happened to Carnival Destiny a few years ago and I am sure other ships too. The cruise line know the ship already has engine problems. But they refuse to cancel cruises and push their luck until the ship cannot function and some cruise is the unlucky ones that get an amended voyage or not much of a cruise

No doubt, it's just too big of an operation to be able to afford canceling cruises and paying who know's how much on top of that for immediate drydocking, and perhaps factory reps from the engine company to be on site with almost no notice. If she can move, they won't pull the plug.

But around CC, you have to like it if your vacation is scrambled. Would be willing to bet any amount of money that MOST of the folks saying they'd be just so pleased to be onboard under these conditions are full of more soup then the church mission on Christmas.

WOW I was getting ready to book my first NCL cruise now I have second thoughts maybe I should stay with CCL until they can fix the problem!!

Yeah. Never happens to CCL. That's why the Navy and Coast guard had to rescue one of their ships off the coast of Baja California by airlifting spam and water. Then it took them more than a month to fix the issues while it sat at the cruise ship terminal here in San Diego.

Yep...cancel NCL and go with Carnival. You'll be 100% sure of no issues.

Anyone here own a boat? They're basically holes in the water that you pour money into. I'm surprised there aren't more issues.

Yeah. Never happens to CCL. That's why the Navy and Coast guard had to rescue one of their ships off the coast of Baja California by airlifting spam and water. Then it took them more than a month to fix the issues while it sat at the cruise ship terminal here in San Diego.

Anyone here own a boat? They're basically holes in the water that you pour money into. I'm surprised there aren't more issues.

Can always count on you to nail it!!:)

Well said...

Agreed, it can and does happen on all lines.

However, according to the NCL apologists here on CC it would appear that CCL handled this situation on the Splendor, in completely the wrong way. CCL should not have refunded the whole cruise, arrange and pay for changes to travel, forgive all on board purchases, be open or communicate with the passengers, or give a discount on a future cruise.

Instead the correct way to handle this would have been to blame it on a technical difficulty. Then, point to the cruise contract where it states that the not even the seaworthiness of the ship is guaranteed, and if anyone was unhappy with that situation it would mean they cannot be allowed to cruise again, as they are not worthy of spending their money and having their own opinion.

Agreed, it can and does happen on all lines.

However, according to the NCL apologists here on CC it would appear that CCL handled this situation on the Splendor, in completely the wrong way. CCL should not have refunded the whole cruise, arrange and pay for changes to travel, forgive all on board purchases, be open or communicate with the passengers, or give a discount on a future cruise.

Instead the correct way to handle this would have been to blame it on a technical difficulty. Then, point to the cruise contract where it states that the not even the seaworthiness of the ship is guaranteed, and if anyone was unhappy with that situation it would mean they cannot be allowed to cruise again, as they are not worthy of spending their money and having their own opinion.

Are you really that stupid?

If you think the situation with NCL Dawn even compares to Carnival Splendor I suggest you get your head checked!

Indeed.

See here:-

Glad that the crew are doing well.

Personally, I still fail to see why getting 9 days of a 9-day cruise amounts to a major problem. A 9-day cruise is the only thing that NCL (or any other cruise line) promises. Anyone who has a settled expectation of getting to any particular place is indulging in a certain amount of wishful thinking.

We were on the 9 day Christmas cruise in December. We had fun, because let's face it, it's a cruise! but the ship is sorely in need of repairs. Just as an aside, for those of you who missed Semana, you didn't miss anything...

Our toilets and those of our daughters' in the cabin next door kept either failing to flush, or worse, backing up onto the floor. I noticed out of order toilets throughout the ship, so I'm not sure the problem was an isolated incident of someone flushing something that shouldn't have been flushed. When the bathroom was unusable just before dinner time, I asked guest services if we could use the showers in the spa. I was told they didn't have any. Um, OK... yeah right, no showers in the spa, or anywhere else.

There was water leaking in many areas of the ship, with big buckets catching the drips. Most noticeable in the theaters and lounge since you had to walk around them.

Sushi restaurant served tea in coffee cups because they had gotten rid of all the Japanese tea cups to prepare for makeover during dry dock. Minor point, but just illustrates some lack of attention to details and if you're paying extra for the sushi restaurant experience, presentation is part of it.

Towel situation was difficult. They were constanly out of beach towels at the pool deck, so you couldn't swap off there and had to bring wet towels back to the cabin. Also, they often didn't have washclothes in the cabin. The steward said they didn't have enough. I'm guessing that they're waiting for drydock to replenish the supply.

NCL really should have sent Dawn to dry dock sooner.

Off topic,

The "freestyle" attitude may be getting out of control with respect to dinner attire. One day my husband showed up to one of the main dining rooms in a sweaty t-shirt, flip flops and bathing trunks and asked to be seated. The host said, "Of course sir, right this way." My husband said "You mean you would actually seat me in the dining room with me dressed this way?!!" He was told, "Well, we don't like to tell people how to dress." Maybe because it was Christmas week the already relaxed dress code was even more relaxed but people (mainly teen/early 20s guys) could at least take off the baseball caps.

I will say though that the entertainment was far and away the best of any of the 11 cruises I've been on, and that goes for entertainment in the smaller venues and in the main theater.

Overall, a relaxing time, but definitely some maintenance issues that NCL should address.

Off topic,

The "freestyle" attitude may be getting out of control with respect to dinner attire. One day my husband showed up to one of the main dining rooms in a sweaty t-shirt, flip flops and bathing trunks and asked to be seated. The host said, "Of course sir, right this way." My husband said "You mean you would actually seat me in the dining room with me dressed this way?!!" He was told, "Well, we don't like to tell people how to dress." Maybe because it was Christmas week the already relaxed dress code was even more relaxed but people (mainly teen/early 20s guys) could at least take off the baseball caps.

I will say though that the entertainment was far and away the best of any of the 11 cruises I've been on, and that goes for entertainment in the smaller venues and in the main theater.

Overall, a relaxing time, but definitely some maintenance issues that NCL should address.

So, your husband didn't want to be seated, he was just testing them? Wow, people amuse themselves in fascinating ways on vacation! :rolleyes:

I agree that the Dawn has the best entertainment. I can't wait to sail her again! (in over 600 days :()

So, your husband didn't want to be seated, he was just testing them? Wow, people amuse themselves in fascinating ways on vacation! :rolleyes:

That's as bad as the people that say they sit outside the naughty room to watch the people have to go claim their allegedly contraband filled luggage.

So many things to do on a cruise ship and this is what they find "entertaining". Go figure.:rolleyes:

If you book island tours with private operators this is the risk they take. If booked through the cruise line a full refund will be credited.

And im most cases, atleast all the private excursions that I have ever booked, private tour operators will also refund your money if your ship does not dock for any reason. They are well aware that you are not in control of things like what the Dawn is experiencing.

Instead of the pricy southern Carribean Cruise my parents purchased, they were given a much cheaper eastern Carribean Cruise.
Would you please care to qualify this statement? How is a Southern Caribbean cruise any more pricey than an Eastern Caribbean? Unless there is some significant difference in the port charges, I don't see it!

Your parents paid for and received a 9-day cruise. They may not have hit some of the ports originally listed on the itinerary but they got their cruise.

I don't see how any of this qualifies the cruise as a "complete mess"!?!?

we are the people on board and the fact is if we were going to Paris and instead they sent us to Quebec instead would be fun but not what we paid for, changing ports if in the southern Caribbean would have been something else, we have saided and into these ports before, we booked new ports for a reason.

Now add to that a fire last night in the garbage room, cabins on 4 and 5 were evacuated, and many of us were unable to sleep after the all clear with the sounds of crew frantically moving about the ship. Also to those who earlier complained of stabilizers out, well we agree. Breakfast was with a retired navy man who said this rocking was totally unacceptable for the calm sea conditions. No one is very happy on board today, tired and much sea sickness.

The nick name is the cruise from hell, all it needs now for myself is teh sight of a rodent to push me over the edge. Thank goodness next week we cruise Carnival or this would be my last memory of a cruise and I would NEVER cruise again!!!!!

Archived