Quick review -- Sea of Cortez ports

CowPrincess

You're very welcome! Too bad we are developing this great "reference" thread at the same time HAL appears to be dropping the Sea of Cortez itinerary :(

This has me really concerned. Have no idea where I will cruise in 2012. Don't want Hawaii nor Panama Canal. Done that 5 times & I don't want to fly to Fort Lauderdale. Alaska weather is too iffy. I find it difficult enough flying alone to San Diego with cruise luggage.:(:confused:

This has me really concerned. Have no idea where I will cruise in 2012. Don't want Hawaii nor Panama Canal. Done that 5 times & I don't want to fly to Fort Lauderdale. Alaska weather is too iffy. I find it difficult enough flying alone to San Diego with cruise luggage.:(:confused:

Gail

This is going to be unfortunate if HAL keeps the Sea of Cortez off their itineraries.

Have you thought of Panama in the fall, then you can walk on in Vancouver? Flying back is not nearly the hassle as flying out to Ft L.

Alternatively, you could do the Vancouver to NZ and fly back or take the round trip out of Vancouver to Hawaii. But, none of these are cruises you want to do! Or just do the 7 day Mexico back-to-back.

This is my one big beef with HAL: just not enough variety out of Vancouver!

Gail

This is going to be unfortunate if HAL keeps the Sea of Cortez off their itineraries.

Have you thought of Panama in the fall, then you can walk on in Vancouver? Flying back is not nearly the hassle as flying out to Ft L.

Alternatively, you could do the Vancouver to NZ and fly back or take the round trip out of Vancouver to Hawaii. But, none of these are cruises you want to do! Or just do the 7 day Mexico back-to-back.

This is my one big beef with HAL: just not enough variety out of Vancouver!

I have to ask why you think it's better to have a long flight at the end. I'd rather get it over with at first. I like the longer Mexican cruises. Too bad HAL sees no value in them. I too have no desire to do a Hawaii cruise. That's WAY too many sea days.

I have to ask why you think it's better to have a long flight at the end. I'd rather get it over with at first. I like the longer Mexican cruises. Too bad HAL sees no value in them. I too have no desire to do a Hawaii cruise. That's WAY too many sea days.

I don't think it is "better" to have a long flight at the end of a cruise. Please note that the OP is in a homeport and can fly one way.

What I am saying is that I like not flying to a cruise because I don't have to worry about getting to the airport in a snowstorm; about getting to the airport at the truly ridicuolus hour necessary when booking HAL air; about flight delays becasue of weather or aiplane problems; about missing the ship because of those problems; about whether to fly early and book a hotel.

Flying home is not a problem. I don't have to worry about any of the above-mentioned potential problems.

I don't think it is "better" to have a long flight at the end of a cruise. Please note that the OP is in a homeport and can fly one way.

What I am saying is that I like not flying to a cruise because I don't have to worry about getting to the airport in a snowstorm; about getting to the airport at the truly ridicuolus hour necessary when booking HAL air; about flight delays becasue of weather or aiplane problems; about missing the ship because of those problems; about whether to fly early and book a hotel.

Flying home is not a problem. I don't have to worry about any of the above-mentioned potential problems.

Ok, that makes sense. My problem is that flying home from Fort Lauderdale is usually a "ship"show so I'd rather not end a cruise there. That said, flying home from San Diego last weekend was pretty much a nightmare so closer is not necessarily better either. I'm not looking forward to either flight on my next cruise but they got to be a lot better then the million below zero temp. we have in Calgary right now.

CowPrincess I would also like to thank you for all the info. As everyone else has said it is so hard to get info on the ports. I have been trying to find interesting things to do on our own and find that HAL and probably all the other ships have most of the tour operators locked up in a contract so they can't deal directly with cruisers. In Topo we really thought long and hard about the trip to Copper Canyon and have decided that it is just not worth 16 hours to see. Besides we just visited the Grand Canyon a few months ago. We were thinking of going to El Fuerte but the tour people at 3Amigos said it would be an $80 cab ride - one way. We will be with another couple but that is still a lot - although I think it is about 2 hours. It sounded like there were some neat things to do there. Did you talk to anyone who did an excursion there. I think HAL sells it as "Land Of Zorro and River Float". I think there are a couple of others as well.

We are also looking at a zip line adventure in either PV or Cabo. Would be nice to know if anyone else in their mid 60's did this and came out smiling. :o)

Thanks again. It inspires me to to take the time to write a review as it is so helpful to others.;)

Yes, I think El Fuerte is about 2 hours each way, so $80 really isn't that much each way, y'know? I didn't speak with anyone who went to El Fuerte this time, but last time a number of pax did an excursion with HAL that included El Fuerte and enjoyed it. Sorry I can't give you any more info on it. Didn't zipline :) I love your avatar!

Ok, that makes sense. My problem is that flying home from Fort Lauderdale is usually a "ship"show so I'd rather not end a cruise there. That said, flying home from San Diego last weekend was pretty much a nightmare so closer is not necessarily better either. I'm not looking forward to either flight on my next cruise but they got to be a lot better then the million below zero temp. we have in Calgary right now.

Sorry about your nightmare flight from SD to Calgary. Our only probelm out of SD is the long wait at the airport until 5pm, which seems mandatory for any HAL air flight! Glad you understand my take on these flights.

CowPrincess I would also like to thank you for all the info. As everyone else has said it is so hard to get info on the ports. I have been trying to find interesting things to do on our own and find that HAL and probably all the other ships have most of the tour operators locked up in a contract so they can't deal directly with cruisers. In Topo we really thought long and hard about the trip to Copper Canyon and have decided that it is just not worth 16 hours to see. Besides we just visited the Grand Canyon a few months ago. We were thinking of going to El Fuerte but the tour people at 3Amigos said it would be an $80 cab ride - one way. We will be with another couple but that is still a lot - although I think it is about 2 hours. It sounded like there were some neat things to do there. Did you talk to anyone who did an excursion there. I think HAL sells it as "Land Of Zorro and River Float". I think there are a couple of others as well.

We are also looking at a zip line adventure in either PV or Cabo. Would be nice to know if anyone else in their mid 60's did this and came out smiling. :o)

Thanks again. It inspires me to to take the time to write a review as it is so helpful to others.;)

About the Copper Canyon tour: we spoke to a couple who did this as a land tour over a couple of days. They weren't that impressed, so we also thought about it and decided 16 hours (and the cost) wasn't worth it. Having taken 12 hour Beijing shorex twice, we thought, never again so long a time -- really overwhelming at times and headache-inducing! Consider your decison wise!

Yes, I think El Fuerte is about 2 hours each way, so $80 really isn't that much each way, y'know? I didn't speak with anyone who went to El Fuerte this time, but last time a number of pax did an excursion with HAL that included El Fuerte and enjoyed it. Sorry I can't give you any more info on it. Didn't zipline :) I love your avatar!

Thanks CowPrincess My avatar is a photo I took. I have been diving about 13 years and absolutely love it. An incredible world that few people get to see.:)

Sorry about your nightmare flight from SD to Calgary. Our only probelm out of SD is the long wait at the airport until 5pm, which seems mandatory for any HAL air flight! Glad you understand my take on these flights.

It's great when you can get direct flights but that doesn't seem to happen often. I don't know what was going on at the San Diego airport on Feb.19th but I'd never seen it like that. People were everywhere, not enough seats. I didn't dare get out of my chair or I wouldn't have gotten it back. The airports seem to be really bad in some US cities. I'm used to Canada where there are always tons of empty seats in the airport.

It's great when you can get direct flights but that doesn't seem to happen often. I don't know what was going on at the San Diego airport on Feb.19th but I'd never seen it like that. People were everywhere, not enough seats. I didn't dare get out of my chair or I wouldn't have gotten it back. The airports seem to be really bad in some US cities. I'm used to Canada where there are always tons of empty seats in the airport.

I know what you mean. We've been through San Diego many times and always wonder at how small that airport is. Before they let you check-in early, we sat in the last 2 available chairs by the front windows for 3 hours, waiting to be able to check-in and at least get into a more spacious and comfortable area.

Direct flights are great, but HAL air seems to have something against the idea. Our next flight to SD leaves at 6 am, so we will have to get up at 3 am, just to get to the airport on time. With a direct flight we would be leaving at 9am and arriving at the same time in SD as with the non-direct.

CowPrincess

About Loreto: is the "marina" on the map where the tenders go?

Thanks again for the maps!

You're welcome for the maps :) and yes, the tenders go to the spot labelled "marina".

Can you do me a favor and take a pic of the cow statues that are at the Aft pool on the Zaandam? I meant to do that, but forgot. And forgot. And forgot :)

You're welcome for the maps :) and yes, the tenders go to the spot labelled "marina".

Can you do me a favor and take a pic of the cow statues that are at the Aft pool on the Zaandam? I meant to do that, but forgot. And forgot. And forgot :)

CowPrincess

Absolutley, I'll try to remember, and remember, and remember!

In the meantime, try Google Images, "Zaandam Aft pool". There are a few photos.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for all the info Cow Princess. I will be sailing on the Grand Princess Sept 17th with stops in Cabo, La Paz, Loreto, and PVC. Anybody have any tips on La Paz? I'm also interested in the Sea of Cortez pearls. Again thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for all the info Cow Princess. I will be sailing on the Grand Princess Sept 17th with stops in Cabo, La Paz, Loreto, and PVC. Anybody have any tips on La Paz? I'm also interested in the Sea of Cortez pearls. Again thanks in advance for any help.

Are you aware that this wonderful review is over 2 years old?

You can find out about some of these ports here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203

We got back to La Paz in Oct 2011 and not much had changed from our visit in 2009 :) We docked at Pichilingue and there were complimentary shuttles available to the town of La Paz, and to a beach. We did both again :)

There is a private tour operator in La Paz that offers "swim with wild sea lions" snorkelling, and people we met RAVED about that. HAL offers a shorex to kayak and snorkel in the area. Can't remember the other offerings, sorry!

For us, we just walked around town and then went back to the ship, got a shuttle to the beach, and slothed on the beach. Where the beach shuttle took us, there were 2 restaurants,and a bunch of palapas. Clear water, lovely sand, and no huge waves, so both times there it was suitable for swimming.

The ocean right IN La Paz is highly polluted, so not suitable for swimming.

I was underwhelmed with the Sea of Cortez pearls.

Both times we docked in Pichilingue, there was an enormous market set up for us. Tons of lovely and not-so-special stuff. I blew my budget last time on some gorgeous silver jewelry.

There is not much info available about the ports of La Paz, Loreto, Guaymas, so any help I can provide, I'm happy to do so.

Archived