As You Wish Dining and Food Allergies

pictonite

I've only sailed with HAL with a fixed dining time. For our next cruise, of 28 days, we have been assigned anytime dining. I have been used to conferring with the Maitre d' about food selections for the following day. On Princess last year, with anytime dining, the Head waiter always seemed to find me, and my choices were delivered wherever, and whenever I chose to eat .

I'm looking for some reassurance from CC'ers that the same thing will happen for me on the Volendam - or should I pursue getting fixed dining?

(BTW - I do know how to check in on boarding with the Maitre d', and HAL is aware of my allergies! :D )

Thanks for any assistance!

I've only sailed with HAL with a fixed dining time. For our next cruise, of 28 days, we have been assigned anytime dining. I have been used to conferring with the Maitre d' about food selections for the following day. On Princess last year, with anytime dining, the Head waiter always seemed to find me, and my choices were delivered wherever, and whenever I chose to eat .

I'm looking for some reassurance from CC'ers that the same thing will happen for me on the Volendam - or should I pursue getting fixed dining?

(BTW - I do know how to check in on boarding with the Maitre d', and HAL is aware of my allergies! :D )

Thanks for any assistance!

I think you already know what to do - talk to the maitre d' (or dining room manager) and if necessary, remind you waiter. When you find a good waiter maybe get their table again.

I don't think you need to go to fixed dining (unless you want to).

Hal is very cognizant of this stuff and I think you should be well taken care of. Have a great cruise :)

I have been on a couple of HAL Cruises where the waiter came around with someone in your same situation to get the order the night before in anytime dining.

I have seen special requests other than food allergies taken care off.

When you checkin for anytime dining they have your table number.

Main thing is to touch base with HAL & Maitre-D

im new to cruising and have no idea how to manage my food allergy.

i am allergic to pine nuts and therefore most pesto. some restaurants seem very slap dash with these items, garnishing many dishes with them.

but that can be very dangerous for me, and i certainly dont want to be ill on my first cruise!!

any help or advice would be lovely

thanks

molly

Thanks, everyone - you have reassured me! I have not had a problem on any cruise so far - including NCL and Princess , with any time dining. I'll just follow the same tried and tested routine with HAL.

Molly - the cruise lines are very good about helping you with food selections when you have serious allergies. You need to let the cruise line know, through your travel agent, that you have allergies. Then, when you get on the ship you should visit the maitre d' on the first day, to introduce yourself, and let him/her be aware of your needs. If you have alerted the cruise line ahead of time, then you will probably have a letter in your cabin letting you know that they are aware of your problems, and how they plan to help you. I usually meet with a head waiter every day, and I will discuss the following day's menus with him/her. My meals are then pre-ordered, and I am reassured that they are free of those pesky nuts that make me ill! I have found that the cruise line staff go out of their way to make you feel special, and try to make your dining as stress free as possible. Last year, on the Caribbean Princess, the Head Waiter always found me, and would present me with special goodies - a plate of nut-free desserts at the High Tea, special petite fours on Gala Evenings! Don't worry - you will be well looked after! Hope this helps :)

...but it's so much easier on you if you can simply go to your fixed table and your server has your choices ready without explaining over and over every night that you have special menus/requirements.

I agree, Brian. I'm on a low sodium diet, and each night, the dining steward brought over a menu for me to fill out for the next evening's dinner. I made one exception..."regular" escargot! I had it low sodium last year and it just wasn't the same!

Miss sailing with you...and hope to catch up again on another cruise...you're such nice company - not to mention, fun!

We did enjoy the Maasdam immensely though...and will sail her again next January. A fabulous itinerary...the best we've done.

DH is gluten intolerant. The last two cruises on the Noordam we had open seating. His dietary restrictions were never a problem. Whoever served us gave him a menu for the next night with the choices they had that were, or could be gluten free. He circled his choices every night for the next evening, and the next evening he told the server, and was brought what he ordered.

He didn't get sick, so what they brought him was gluten free.

In the Lido and Pinnacle Grill he would have to ask if he wasn't sure, and he always got the correct information, so that worked good for us too.

Hope this helps-

AC

I have numerous food allergies and just sailed on the Noordam. It took a day or two to straighten out. I was given the next days menu each night in anytime dining and the menu was adjusted for me leaving out ingredients I can't have. If there wasn't a selection I could eat they prepared something simple for me. It was not a problem at all and they were very accommodating and careful.

I have a severe allergy to tree nuts. My one and only experience with as you wish dining was nerve-wracking. I was served a "nut free" piece of chocolate cake that was basicly a piece of cake with the almond garnish scraped off the top! Needless to say I didn't touch it! :eek:

I now ask for fixed dining because I feel safer . I explain it all the first night as other cruisers have indicated, pre-order for the next night and double check before I eat . I feel the communication from me to the galley is less likely to get missed the fewer people I have to talk to. If I'm not going to be there for dinner I notify the desk in the dining room as soon as I can.

I've only one food allergy, and that is to oranges.... can eat lemons, grapefruit tomatoes and (sounds dumb I know) mandarins. On my cruises on RCI and X, I told our travel agent and spoke to the maitre d' on board. Our waiter always alerted me if something I was going to order had oranges (or juice) in it and I had no problems. I'll do the same thing (our TA has it on our file from our last cruise and she's already put the info on our paperwork, and I'll do my part when we board.

My reaction isn't live-threatening, but causes multiple ulcers throughout my mouth and throat.... not what you want with all the delicious goodies on a cruise.

Smiles

Marg

Archived