Princess pricing???

john elway

Hi All

First timer here....My wife and are looking to book a cruise for our 25th anniversary for April 2012.I have noticed that prices for this April(2011) are considerably cheaper($300-400)than April(2012).My question is,will prices for next April come down to similar pricing?If yes,when do prices typically bottom out?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome ! My feeling is who knows as it is so far out.... Others can be more precise. Basically Princess is still selling cabins for this April..

World events, the economy, the tempo of early bookings all play into the price equation. That said, prices nearly always do come down. It is easier for the cruise line to work in the direction of offering a discount. The one time I had prices shoot up was on a Baltic cruise with only two ships doing the itinerary.

There is a lot of supply in Apri for the Carribean. This year I have gotten some pretty good pricing both in the fall to the Black Sea and now again in the spring to warmer climes.

You will get lots of good advice and information here.

It's past final payment for April 2011 cruises so if there are cabins still available, they will be at a lower price "for new bookings only." Whether there will be a similar sale next year is anyone's guess. It depends on the ship, itinerary, dates, etc., all of which are variables. There is no generalization when it comes to whether or when Princess lowers prices. For many of my cruises over the years, prices have gone up, not down. As an example, for my Star cruise a year from now, and which I booked months ago, the same cabin category would cost me over $500 more if I booked it today.

Depending on how the cruise is selling, prices can go down but usually go up as the cruise gets closer. If you book now and see a price drop for your cabin and it is not for new bookings only, you can call Princess and they will give you the price drop as long as it is before final payment date.

As Pam said, the price for our Alaskan cruise this May has gone up $150 per person since we booked last August.

If the ship isn't selling well, then pricing could go down - but just call Princess and see if they will adjust your pricing.

I booked a cruise for next December less than a week ago and the prices have already gone up $190 per person. They may come down again over the next several months or they may go up more. Your best bet is to find the cruise you want on Princess, note the price and then start shopping around at all of the online TA's to see who has the best deals. Princess is one of the only lines that allows the TA's to discount the fare.

Hi Again

I should have been a little more specific,we are looking at the 10 day E.Carribean cruise departing from Ft. Lauderdale on the Emerald departing Apr.6/2012.

Should we look at booking now or wait until closer to departure date to see if prices drop?

Thanks again!

You can book now AND take advantage of price drops should that happen between now and final payment. As to whether or not there will be cabins left after final payment for the "clearance sale" its anyone's guess. I just booked last Thursday for a cruise that leaves in just under 4 weeks, BUT I was flexible to any port in FL (and am actually leaving out of San Juan) but limited to 2 departure days. I was looking for the best cruise 'deal' and would jumped on 7 nighter on any line (except Carnival, but that's my preference.) This just happened to be a deal I couldn't pass by.

We are on the same cruise with you Crown April 30th, final payment was on Feb 14. So if you cancel there would be a penalty. If you are just upgraded to balcony call Princess and see what the price difference is.

Dawn

We are on the same cruise with you Crown April 30th, final payment was on Feb 14

Oh, and let me add....

Dawn, nice to meet my first fellow cruiser

on this board.

Figured sooner or later I would run into someone

who would say, "I am on that cruise, too."

Shame. The earlier April cruise dropped in price.

Balconies are $699. I am hoping the April 30th

drops from $749 to $699 as well. I have two cabins

booked so that's a total savings of $200 if that happens.

Picked this cruise because of airfare. Wanted to go

out of San Juan like we did two years ago, but San

Juan airfare is ridiculous right now. I kept searching

for the best airfare then picked the date of the cruise

that best coincided with that best price.

Should be a great cruise.

NJronbo,

Nice to meet you too. We have a roll call going on the roll call board. Dont know how to post the link. Maybe someone can help me.

Yes we were hoping the minisuites would come down to 899.00 but we still got a great deal from our ta. Hope to see you on the roll call.

Dawn

Yeah, all I wanted to know is that if I already,

completely paid for my April 30th 2011 cruise

on my credit card can I still upgrade to a balcony

if a reduced price is offered?

After final payment, discounted prices are usually only good for new bookings. But you could try. ;)

Sorry John,

To answer your question. My dh and I always go at the end of April , we book about a year out when the prices are high as we like a certain cabin. I have found prices drop at different times thru out the year. I might be lucky but the prices your are seeing for this April is usually what we end up paying for the last few years. I have had the price drop for my April 2011 cruise drop last June, Sept and Oct.

But I seem to get a better deal thru my ta with obc , lower prices and excellent service. Hope this kind of helps you out. And I hope I didn't confuse you.

Dawn

John, I would book now and then just keep an eye on pricing. If you see a price drop - then call Princess or your TA and have it applied to your booking. As long as any price drops you see are not for new bookings only, Princess will apply a price drop you may find.

Booking now assures you of getting the cabin you wants vs. what may be left if you wait until final payment time. And most of the time, prices go up as it gets closer to the cruise date. If the ship isn't selling well, then you may see a price drop - and all you have to do is call Princess and ask them to apply it to your booking if it is before final date.

Looks like my original question kinda got Hi-jacked.

Please respond with your thoughts/ideas.

Thanks

If you want to go a specific cruise and the price is acceptable, book it now. Then watch for price drops between now and the final payment date. On some of our cruises, the lowest prices have occurred about a month before the final payment date. On others, they've been lower after the final payment date. But that's the risk you take.

Be sure to keep an eye on prices for all acceptable categories of cabins. Sometimes you can upgrade yourself and get a better price.

Archived