Any recent parking experiences at FLL Cruise Port?

AttorneyVin

Hello All,

My wife and I are about to set sail from FLL on Saturday's Eurodam Sailing, and I was curious about the current parking situation at FLL Cruise Port. I think we will be parking at the Main Cruise Terminal and not Park-n-Fly -- is this a good choice? What are the current prices? Which lot is best to park in? Is it easy to find the appropriate lot at the actual Cruise Port? Any information would be greatly appreciated, as neither of us has actually driven to FLL for a cruise.

Thanks so much!

The Mid-port garage is directly across the street from HAL's main pier, #26. Last time we parked there (12/09) it was $15/day. Even if you are not at 26, the common alternatives (25, 27, 21, 19) are all within an easy walk. If you should end up at pier 29 there will be a free shuttle from the garage.

edit: I just checked the schedule, and you will be leaving from pier 26, but you may return to a different pier. Check THIS SITE sometime while you are on your cruise.

2977995240099632937S600x600Q85.jpg

Parking is still $15 /day in the garage or any of the surface lots ... but it may be free:

However, pursuant to Section 8 of the latter statute, any vehicle with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by the person who has a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker, is exempt from any parking fees in Port Everglades.

Here is how to request free parking at Port Everglades:

At the entry of the Port Everglades parking garage, pull a parking ticket from the automated machine and get the attention of one of the parking agents in an adjacent exit booth. Advise that parking agent that you would like a disability waiver of parking. The parking agent will telephone for a parking supervisor who will come to the booth and examine your vehicle to determine if the driver/vehicle meets the criteria for a parking waiver. The parking supervisor will inspect the vehicle to determine if a Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker is affixed to it and/or if the vehicle has specialized equipment and a hanging tag from the Division of Motor Vehicles verifying the equipment.

When the parking supervisor verifies that a disability waiver of parking is allowable, the driver's name and address and the registration number on the sticker or hanging tag will be recorded on the parking ticket by that parking supervisor and the parking supervisor will sign the ticket. At this point the driver will be given the parking ticket and directed to enter the garage.

Upon exit, the parking ticket with the recorded information and the parking supervisor’s signature will be surrendered to the exit parking attendant and no parking fees will be charged.

How much is a Fl. Turnpike Exemption Sticker and how do we get one?
THIS PDF says you go to www.dot.state.fl.us/ctd for an application. Since there is no mention of a cost, it may be free.

Down near the end of the document it talks about a "Non-Revenue Sun Pass" which can be used on any FL toll roads, but to get the transponder for that costs you $26.50.

I notice you are from Tampa. On one of our cruises, a couple from Fl. (Sarasota, I think) told us they rent a car and turn it in in Ft. Lauderdale, then rent a car after the cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to their home. She said that way their own vehicle doesn't get dinged up in the parking garage. Just wanted to this idea with you. Happy cruising! ;)

We also do one way rentals each way. But we weigh the cost of the rentals (plus gas) against what it would cost us to park at the port and having the convenience of having your car right at hand when returning. Have you looked into the Cruise Connection bus (connect2cruise.com)? And when we booked through Princess we got a slight reduction because they get group pricing.

How much is a Fl. Turnpike Exemption Sticker and how do we get one?

Be aware that the Florida's Turnpike Exemption Sticker is given only to someone who has a handicap that prevents him/her from depositing coins into the basket at a tollbooth. The person must have a valid driver license and a doctor has to sign off on the request.

Not everyone who with a disability qualifies for this sticker.

DH is in a powerchair and has limited mobility - he can't walk - but he does not qualify for the exemption sticker.

We do get free parking at Port Everglades as our van has been modified to accommodate the powerchair. When we leave the garage, a tollbooth employee will inspect the inside of our van to verify that it has been modified.

The parking deck opposite the pier is a good option. We parked for $15 per day in October.

If you want to save a few steps, park on the upper level near the sky bridge. There is an elevator, just off the pier entrance/exit to the sky bridge.

One mistake I made at disembarkation was to try to meet DW and pick up our carry-off bags on the main road outside the pier, and not at the main baggage loading/unloading area. Although the main road was free when I went to get my car, the area where I planned to pick up DW was lined with supply trucks bringing goods to the ship by the time I got out of the garage.

It's better just to pick up others in party at the main baggage loading/unloading area, even with the congestion there.

And, yes, you can use credit/debit cards when you exit the garage.

It's better just to pick up others in party at the main baggage loading/unloading area, even with the congestion there.
We take our bags up the elevator and just across the sky walk. I wait there while DH brings the car around to load the bags. Then as soon as we pay we're on our way - no need to get into the congestion of trying to load up with the mob scene.

There are only two parking garages at Port Everglades, the Northport and Midport ones. The Midport one will be most convenient to the majority of piers HAL usually docks at (26, 29, 19, 21). If your ship is docked at 26, you can easily cross the street via an above ground walkway. If your ship docks further away (at 29, for example), there are free shuttles that run constantly from the garage. Parking is $15/day.

We were on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal on Feb 1st and used Park and fly. http://www.netparkfly.com and it was much cheaper than port parking. They have a free shuttle to and from the ship and we were dropped of right in front of door to terminal. I would not heaitate to recomend to anyone. We chose the covered parking and was very pleased.

We use Park-n-Fly Plus when off-site airport parking in Atlanta because they have a Delta check-in counter and take your luggage right there, then shuttle just with our carry-ons to the airport. However, for cruise parking we always park right in the port garage rather than have to shuttle to Pk-n-Fly with all the cruise luggage. Worth the extra $ just to walk across the street and be on our way.

Another option is a park, sleep, & cruise deal at a local hotel. Last year we tried this at Cambria Suites. It included a night's lodging, parking for the length of the cruise, and free shuttles to and from the port, about 15-20 minutes away. The total cost was about the same as parking at the port, plus we didn't have the hassle of a 3-1/2 hour turnpike drive on the day of embarkation.

Archived