Booking an interior cabin instead of balcony

klo28910

My first 2 cruises were ocean view rooms. Then, we had a balcony on the Legend in June... then after, a port hole room in August and an interior room in December. I love them all. If it was a $500 difference, I know I would do the interior room. I loved the balcony, but we don't spend a lot of time in our room. I don't care what room I'm in as long as I'm on a cruise ship!!! :) We have 2 cruises booked for this summer and both are interior because they are saving us SO MUCH money.

If we can find a good price, we get the balcony (DH smokes, so that makes it convenient). If I find a better price for an inside, that's what'll be.

Just booked a cruise for 1st week of April, 1A (upper & lower), at military rate. (real good deal!) Told my PVP, when she tried to upgrade me to a PT room for $55 more p/p, we've been married 10 years, he's in his 50's, I am in my 40's, bunk beds are fine. LOL!

It's the relaxation that matters more than the room!

Lisa

I looked at the port hole cabins, but they are at the very front of the ship. Won't there be much more motion up there? I've only gotten sick one evening on one of our cruises, but we've always been midship. Is it really rough up there?

We have been cruising since 1965 and except for once when we cruised with my sister-in-law (she wouldn't cruise unless she had a balcony room because she was afraid she would feel cramped and not enjoy herself), we have always booked inside cabins. We truly are rarely in our room and you can't beat the price. Yes, I did enjoy the balcony room I shared with my SIL but we still book interior rooms because of the price. We've never, ever had a bad cruise! Hope whatever you decide you have a great time!:D

We have cruised mostly in a balcony cabin. We booked an interior once and although it was fine, we felt like we just couldn't stretch out and relax. So we prefer a balcony. But if it meant going or not going we would book a broom closet! ;)

Another alternative is to book an interior with an obstructed view category 4J we had one on the Dream and loved it, and have booked on our upcoming Freedom cruise in May - the rooms are big and you get the benefit of the window with the pleasure of the price of an interior! Just my two cents

Looking at this for a trip on the Liberty. How was the 4J cabin. Any problems with people on the deck outside your window? Could you actually see much? Any sound problems from the wind or people?

Thanks for the help.

The 1st several cruises we took we got OV cabins. It was really more a fluke as I let our TA book the room. I really appreciated the window and would always draw the curtain back open after our room steward closed it in the evening, as even the glow of lights from the ship added a little more ambience to the room in my opinion.

Then I met a woman from work who has been cruising for many years. She brought in a large book from Carnival and started showing me how much cheaper it is to go inside. We started booking inside cabins and we can afford to cruise more often now. Yeah!! One of those cruises that I booked an inside I was upgraded to an OV at no additional cost. Double yeah!!

BTW when I am in an inside cabin I find that I keep the TV on all the time (usually to one of the deck camera views) as an additional light source and to feel like a window. Our last 3 cruises were inside cabins

I still prefer having a window. Its not so much for me to see out, but to let the light in. I'm just one of those people whose mood is strongly affected by daylight! Our next booked cruise (hopefully we can squeeze one in before) is in an inside room with an obstructed view, with french doors. So I get my window to let in light and an inside cabin price.

I have never tried a balcony. It looks to me like many of them shade the the balcony area and when I finally make it outside to relaxor have fun, I really want to soak up the sun. So, unless we get some kind of free upgrade to a balcony I'll make do with the cost of inside rooms or obstructed view rooms and cruise more often!

That's not to say that I don't look at many of the pics of suites and their balconies and lust after them!!! I just want to cruise as much as possible.

We have booked everything from a suite to an inside and are pretty flexible. On the inside we just leave the TV turned to one of the outside cameras so we can get a outside perspective while being inside.

WHen we had an inside, we also kept the tv on for the outside view.

However, nothing beats the fresh air from a balcony and sitting on the balcony watching the sunrise, sunset and pulling into port in the wee hours of the morning. :)

We have always had balcony cabins and loved it. We really don't spend much time on the balcony, but we enjoy the feeling of space it provides. We decided to join some friends on a cruise in 8 weeks and are considering booking an interier cabin for the price. We could save $500 by booking an interior and since this was an unplanned cruise, I don't want to spend too much money.

Will we regret having an interior room after having a balcony for our others? Everyone says that once you get a balcony, you won't go back to interior. I would love to hear others' experiences with interior cabins. Thanks.

SHH. Inside is the best kept secret on the ocean. I've had ov and balcony and only take those on a good upsell deal. A balcony is nice but c'mon if you've got smokers close that could ruin it Also, once you leave your cabin everybody is the same.

Guess I am not a balcony person either. Got upgraded to one on TA once. Rarely used it. Have a balcony here in SoFl. Never sit out there either. I would rather do 2 Inside cruises at the price of one balcony. Try it; you can always book balconies on subsequent cruises if its not your thing.

I agree.

I have only been on 2 cruises so far (have another booked tho!) One was a balcony and one was an inside. The balcony was totally ruined for us due to smokers each side :( and we ended up rarely using it and even having to keep the doors shut. The inside was great, quiet ,dark, no smoke, plenty of room, and we were only in it for bed, showers, freshening up :) We booked another inside for next time, we are from the UK so the fact that there are huge savings to be made is nice too!

By the way, we don't smoke, and we are not some of those people who can't bear the slightest amount of smoke, we are quite "live and let live" really, but that instance was truely awful :(

I've had all types of cabins...Cat 12 suite to an inside. I found that if I can get a good deal on the balcony great! But Id rather cruise more (3-4 times a year) with an inside or OV than to cruise less by spending extra on a balcony.

The first time I had an inside, we spent more time out and about on the ship, did more of the activities, etc. I found that to be nice!

I am in the same situation! I have been cruising in a balcony for quite a few years but we are going on an 8day on the Freedom and have booked two interiors in order to save money. We are basically getting the two interiors for what we would pay for one balcony. You are reassuring me that this will be just fine. I appreciate it! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Loved reading the variety of perspectives.

I recently booked our very first inside after having a porthole once, and an ocean view another time. I'm a little nervous about it only because I'm not sure if myself or my girlfriend will feel claustrophobic. So I've been debating if I should at least pay extra for a porthole or even an obstructive view.

In July we will have our first balcony on a different cruise line. It's our wedding cruise and I talked my fiance into letting me splurge a little since it is a special occasion. The inside cabin will actually be on the Carnival Glory for a 5 day cruise to Canada. It's a surprise honeymoon so I can't even ask her if she thinks she'd be okay in an inside.

I just emailed my TA to see what the difference in price would be.

We have done everything from an interior to a suite...and my opinion is

"just get me on a ship".

Now since there are always at least 3 of us in a cabin, I will not book an interior on a Spirit Class ship again...but we have done interiors on every other class of ship without an issue.

Go and have a great time...whatever cabin you are in.

My first three cruises were ocean views. It was great but while I was on the Dream I thought about how much time I spent in the cabin. I figured it was less than two hours outside of sleeping and freshening up and I thought about how much money I was spending to have that window.

Last fall I booked my first inside cabin. It was very different. If you turn off the lights you are in total darkness. I brought a nite light to plug in during the night to go to the bathroom. On the ocean view you could just open the curtain. This cabin (Norwegian Pearl) was also the smallest that I had ever been in. In the end the price was half of what I paid for the window. That means I can cruise more often. I booked another inside (172 sq ft) in a week on the Norwegian Sun. I would rather be on the ship and have no window than have a window and cruise less.

DSCF1584.jpg

Inside cabin Norwegian Pearl

DSCF1588.jpg

Power bus for nite light and other devices

DSCF1589.jpg

Not much room with the bed as a queen size (two twins together)

GoodNightJack.jpg

Ocean View Carnival Paradise (large Room)

1391CarnivalDream.jpg

Ocean View Carnival Dream (two bathrooms and a tub)

DSCF1002.jpg

Ocean View Norwegian Sky

Thanks for posting these photos!

The 1st several cruises we took we got OV cabins. It was really more a fluke as I let our TA book the room. I really appreciated the window and would always draw the curtain back open after our room steward closed it in the evening, as even the glow of lights from the ship added a little more ambience to the room in my opinion.

Then I met a woman from work who has been cruising for many years. She brought in a large book from Carnival and started showing me how much cheaper it is to go inside. We started booking inside cabins and we can afford to cruise more often now. Yeah!! One of those cruises that I booked an inside I was upgraded to an OV at no additional cost. Double yeah!!

BTW when I am in an inside cabin I find that I keep the TV on all the time (usually to one of the deck camera views) as an additional light source and to feel like a window. Our last 3 cruises were inside cabins

I still prefer having a window. Its not so much for me to see out, but to let the light in. I'm just one of those people whose mood is strongly affected by daylight! Our next booked cruise (hopefully we can squeeze one in before) is in an inside room with an obstructed view, with french doors. So I get my window to let in light and an inside cabin price.

I have never tried a balcony. It looks to me like many of them shade the the balcony area and when I finally make it outside to relaxor have fun, I really want to soak up the sun. So, unless we get some kind of free upgrade to a balcony I'll make do with the cost of inside rooms or obstructed view rooms and cruise more often!

That's not to say that I don't look at many of the pics of suites and their balconies and lust after them!!! I just want to cruise as much as possible.

I have done inside rooms and also have had a ov room. I am with you and the cheaper it is the more I can cruise!!! I would love to try a balcony but a bit to pricey for me. I like looking at the sea with the ov room but I like the darkness in an inside room and I didn't find it bad at all. My next cruise I am doing a PT room, my first so am looking forward to that!! I just have to cruise!!!

If you feel that you wont miss having that extra space & the luxury of having a balcony, then save your $$$! I have never stayed in a cabin personally higher than ocean view - but that's fine with me & my family. My mom had a balcony on our last cruise, and though it was nice, I felt my PT cabin was more spacious in the room itself. I personally think PT cabins are the best way to go if you want somewhat of a window to see outside without the extra cost.

My advise is to pay for the window. "Insiders" feel like dungens when I am with a guy boyfriend. Insiders are okay if they are located in the upper decks near an elevator once you have been cruising in your future.

A surprise cruise should have an obstructed window, window, or port hole. You want to be romantic and need the ocean romance light in your cabin. Lucy

My advise is to pay for the window. "Insiders" feel like dungens when I am with a guy boyfriend. Insiders are okay if they are located in the upper decks near an elevator once you have been cruising in your future.

A surprise cruise should have an obstructed window, window, or port hole. You want to be romantic and need the ocean romance light in your cabin. Lucy

Well for the last few days I have been debating whether or not I would be able to deal with rooming in an inside cabin. I've never been in one before and although we don't spend much time in our cabin I was afraid that I would feel a little claustrophobic. Booking this as a surprise honeymoon was already a tight splurge, but I went ahead and upgraded to an ocean view for $260 more.

I think it's worth me not being stressed for the next couple of months with worry, or on the ship worried if I didn't like it. I know Sha will like it because we've always had a window or at least a porthole. The portholes were already sold out for this trip as I was trying to upgrade to that first.

Cabins are selling so the best he could do (for what I wanted to spend) was a 6B ocean view aft. I was in 4C interior midship originally. This will be my first time in a cabin located aft.

Archived