Norfolk, Va precruise hotel

HOSKI

Hubby and I booked the two night to nowhere and would like to stay overnight before the cruise and leave the car at the hotel. Any suggestions? We are looking for cheap.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

i live in norfolk, what ship are you doing the cruise on. look for hotels at waterside. wich is downtown norfolk, definitly check rates online you will probaby find a better deal. let me know what i canhelp you with..

Jenn

Jenn

Thanks for offering to help. I am not having much luck. We are taking the Victory on a two night to nowhere and don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel. I'm shocked at the pricing. I have found cheaper hotels in New Orleans and also FL. Someone suggested staying in Portsmouth and taking the ferry over. Good idea?

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

ill check portmsouth and see what it right at the ferry they funny thing is portsmouth is directly across from the boats you could swim across faster than you can drive lol. but parts are not good area. ill check and see whats over there. about how much are you wanting to spend. the only prob si the summer is big tourist season because of all they got going on and its a military town. if you dont mind taking a cab to and from the cruise hampton blvd right up by the base has nice hotels ill check the prices..

June 12th. I really didn't feel like spending $80 to stay for a two night cruise but want to be close by. Maybe something a little further out would be fine and we could drive to the cruise pier. I would say $60. Is this realistic?

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at the Sheraton Waterside via Priceline for $42 per night. It's 3 blocks from Nauticus cruise terminal.

Good luck!

Crystal - 6/11/04 Harmony to Alaska

Celebrity (6)

NCL (5)

Princess (4)

Disney (2)

Royal Caribbean (2)

HAL (1)

BEAV

Just what I was looking for. icon_smile.gif

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

i couldnt figure out why some of the hotels were showing booked. june 11-13 is harborfest. your going to have a hard time finding a hotel . if you do a broder search. look at va beach, newport news. hampton, even williamsburg if you dont have any luck in norfolk. traffic is awful during harbofest theres hardly no where to park they shut downtown down literally for the weekend. but the hotels downtown do have paking garages you can park in. hopefully priceline will work for you..

Priceline wants $142 for the Sheraton that night. We are kind of screwed for a good price. We have friends in Chesapeake but I really didn't want to ask to stay there. I did find the Days Inn Marina/Beachfront for about $70, I'm just not sure about it. Also the Suburban Lodge of Hampton comes highly recommended and reasonable. Any thoughts on these two?

I wonder how we will get thru traffic to the pier?

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

i was gonna suggest the marina. its right on the water you can look out and see all the navy ships. it right as you come off the tunnel of 64. at willoughby spit. i dont know anything about the one in hampton. ill check and have an answer for you in the morning.. getting down there want be the problem. you need to call the cruise line your sailing and and find out a definite about where to park. also. did you find any hotels on northhampton blvd. park is norfolk. then turns into va beach. theres afew hotels there. also on newtown rd. any of the hotels out near greenbrier mall (cheasapeake) are easy access the downtown. like 5 mins.

ok i double checked travelocity. do a search for holiday inn portsmouth-oldtowne waterfront; the rate was 84.00 or 85 you can see right across to norfolk where you ship will most likeley be that were you take the ferry. or near it alos check the reanassance portmouth norfolk. it waterside those are the only 2 i wojuld stay in thats actually a nice little area that was the area your friend was talking about where you could take the ferry over.

Thanks, I'm to re-read your post then try to get hubby to make a decision before everything is booked. His mother is in the final stages of cancer so we are having a tough time and that is one of the reasons we booked this two nighter.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

HOSKI,

How are you getting $142 from Priceline? With Priceline you BID for a hotel (name your own price). They are, however, affiliated with an on-line travel agency called LowestFare.com. Is that where you're getting the $142 price from? If so, you're not really dealing with Priceline, but rather just another on-line agency similar to Expedia, Travelocity, etc.

As info, Hotwire wants $77 per night (June 10 & 11) for either the Sheraton or Raddison. Nine times out of ten Priceline will beat Hotwire's price.

Celebrity (6)

NCL (5)

Princess (4)

Disney (2)

Royal Caribbean (2)

HAL (1)

They have above the bid you are placing what they suggest and/or have been able to get a hotel for at in that area and dates.

I think I will look at hotwire. I don't think I've tried them.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

Hoski,

The rate Priceline displays above the box where you enter your bid is merely to try and coerce you into bidding more than necessary. Translation: More money in their pockets!

This very issue is addressed in the Hotel FAQ at BiddingForTravel. Here it is....

Q. I saw that Priceline now tells you the average price for a hotel room based on the city and quality level you are bidding. Wouldn't it be easier if I just used that information to determine a bid amount?

A. Absolutely not, and I cannot stress that enough. Ignore that information as though it didn't even exist. The rates listed on Priceline's website have been proven to be completely false

If you're going to try Priceline, I can stress enough to first go to BiddingForTravel.com.

Good Luck!

Celebrity (6)

NCL (5)

Princess (4)

Disney (2)

Royal Caribbean (2)

HAL (1)

Not having much luck guys. Most places downtown are full and the Days Inn Marina is out because I found reviews and it is scary. May try Williamsburg next.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

try newport news up at patrick henry. but i dont think your gonna find anything under 80 a nite. theres a few on jefferson ave in newport news near the newport news airport area there nice . and try the comfort inn and hampton inn and hampton blvd in norfolk. there decent hotels we have put family there when the navy ship came home.

jenn

I'm going to search tonight. I couldn't get any time at work today. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Well I did it. Hubby wanted me to look in Chesapeake near friends but for a hoot I also put in downtown Norfolk again at hotwire. I got the Marriott Waterside for $81.95 total including fees and taxes. I think this is pretty good because it was listed as a 3 1/2 star and I did a search of other sights after and it ranged from $98 to $179 to sold out and that did not include tax and fees.

It was more than what I wanted to spend but with so much being sold out I feel pretty lucky.

I went to one review sight and it was a mix of bad and good reviews and another had good reviews. Wish us luck.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

oh yeah thats very good.. try to go down the nite before your cruise and enjoy harborfest. and check out all tha tall sail ships. i will be moving from norfolk may 28th. we are getting orders to jax. and will be going on my cruise may 31st on the sovereign. enjoy your cruise.

Jenn

the only bad thing people really say about waterside is the fact that all the bars at waterside on the weekends bring out a wild drunk crowd and the rent the hotels and get alittle crazy. my hubbys ship did our christmas party there 2 yrs ago and it was great.

Jenn

jennifer29

How could you move two weeks before I get there? Tell hubby to wait. I don't think the drunks will get rooms that night because they are pretty well sold out and really expensive. I guess we will have to deal with it. Do you know where I can get info on the Harborfest? I think that will be our friday night entertainment. I'm really excited.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

Archived