Which Rule Is Most Important To You?

Ziggy7

Which Rule Is Most Important Which Rule Is Most Important To You?  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rule Is Most Important Which Rule Is Most Important To You?

• Dress Code
    • Designated Smoking Areas
    • No reserving lounge chairs
    • No minors allowed (i.e hot tubs, adult pools, etc)
    • None of the above, nothing bothers me!

Reserving lounge chairs bothers me the most.

Please don't forget that the dress code is only a suggestion, and not a rule.

This quote is from the HAL website ("Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. ").

I am the first person to change out of my dark suit after dinner and into slacks and a polo shirt for the evening. If my dress offends you, please come up and tell me. I always enjoy having civil disagreements with new friends.

If my dress offends you, please come up and tell me. I always enjoy having civil disagreements with new friends.

Most folks probably have more important things to attend to (like having fun!)... I think most people wouldn't even notice - let alone take another individuals dress to heart - why take it so seriously? :)

It's very similar to someone arriving at a wedding wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Most people look in amazement when someone shows up dressed like that; we feel sorry for the bride who has spent months planning a formal wedding only to have someone dressed inappropriately show up.

I guess, for us who look forward to formal nights we kinda of feel dissappointed and angered that someone would show up to formal night wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. We spend time and money getting ready for formal nights. Personally, the restaurant management need to do what they do at formal restaurants on land....

no shirt, no jacket, no tie......NO SERVICE. :mad:

I will never forget one of my honeymoon cruise's formal nights. My wife and I were all decked-out for a great evening only to be joined by our table mates dressed in shorts and t-shirts. I quietly left the table to speak to the head waiter and he stated they would do nothing so as to not offend them.

If you want wear casual attire all cruise long, no problem, just stay out of the dining room during formal nights. A nice buffet is available on the LIDO Deck or how about room service.:eek:

As an ex smoker I must apologise if at any time on a past cruise I offended any follow passenger. Being smoke free for 7 years certainly puts the shoe on the other foot!!!!!

Now for the dress code. It is there for everyone and dressing to the code is just a simple way to show respect for the ship's rules and your fellow passengers, no more, no less.

Stephen

I will never forget one of my honeymoon cruise's formal nights. My wife and I were all decked-out for a great evening only to be joined by our table mates dressed in shorts and t-shirts. I quietly left the table to speak to the head waiter and he stated they would do nothing so as to not offend them.

Dippy, please tell us that this incident didn't happen on a HAL cruise!!!!!

In 1995 I made a seven day Caribbean cruise in Carnival's IMAGINATION. It was certainly not what I expected. I would guess at least 75% of the men were in dinner jackets on the formal nights . I was impressed.

There just one thing about Carnival that put me off. The noise! Not from the pax but from the music being piped around the ship. It was too loud and tooo much. Other than that the cruise was a lot of fun. Not HAL by a long shot, but certainly good.

Stephen

Dippy, please tell us that this incident didn't happen on a HAL cruise!!!!!

It was a Carnival Cruise.

I hope that 100% of HAL guests are expected to be in Formal Attire:confused:

It was a Carnival Cruise.

I hope that 100% of HAL guests are expected to be in Formal Attire:confused:

Dippy, I hate to disappoint! Yes, it is 'expected' but it doesn't happen that way unfortunately. The standard of dress varies depending on cruise destination and duration. The longer the cruise and the more 'up market' the destination and the standard of dress goes way up.

On the world cruise for example you will find everyone dressed formally on the special nights. On 7 day cruise the standard is completely different. On Caribbean and Alaska cruises, although the dress code calls for formal or business attire, you will find a 'lot' of people don't bother or they will change back into casual attire immediately after dinner. Unfortunate, but it happens.

If you feel you want to have a formal night and are afraid that your table companions won't dress for the occassion, try booking a table in the Pinnacle Grill that night. Another suggestion, ask the maitr'd if he can put you at a table for two on the late sitting... even just for one night. I'm sure they would do everything to help with your request if you told him the facts.

Stephen

Dippy, I hate to disappoint! Yes, it is 'expected' but it doesn't happen that way unfortunately. The standard of dress varies depending on cruise destination and duration. The longer the cruise and the more 'up market' the destination and the standard of dress goes way up.

On the world cruise for example you will find everyone dressed formally on the special nights. On 7 day cruise the standard is completely different. On Caribbean and Alaska cruises, although the dress code calls for formal or business attire, you will find a 'lot' of people don't bother or they will change back into casual attire immediately after dinner. Unfortunate, but it happens.

Stephen

I agree. A standard is one that is expected to be followed. There will usually be some who wish to exceed the standard and some who will never meet it. It's not really the same as an average, which takes all variations above and below into the figure, but is rather a minimum that is set as a goal.

We read our documents for the world cruise and saw that there were a certain number of formal nights and we chose our purchases according to that. We wanted to fit in and to look and feel as if we belonged there. It was an assumption that everyone else on the cruise read the same documents and wanted to conform as well.

When someone appears at a formal affair in totally inappropriate attire it is a statement of nonconformism which is usually ignored, even by those who consider it outside the rules. Sometimes it taxes our ability to accept, but we can assume that just maybe they misjudged the date, dress code or interpretation and are already really embarrassed.

I hope that the maitre 'd and/or his staff can be gentle and polite in re-directing those who arrive in the wrong dress to correct their attire without offending them.

Slinkie

I hope that the maitre 'd and/or his staff can be gentle and polite in re-directing those who arrive in the wrong dress to correct their attire without offending them.

I also hope the other passengers who are dressed appropriately will refrain from acting inappropriately (staring at the offender, making faces, talking loudly about the faux pas, etc.). One can dress elegantly but not act that way...

Mary

I also hope the other passengers who are dressed appropriately will refrain from acting inappropriately (staring at the offender, making faces, talking loudly about the faux pas, etc.). One can dress elegantly but not act that way...

I agree, it is not the role of the passenger to address such issues with the "offenders" (could not think of another word to use). It is the duty of supervisors on the ship to take on these issues. At the same time, when this issue is brought to a supervisor's attention, action must be taken if warranted; including redirection out of the restaurant.

A simple solution would be to put a large note in the daily bulletin that the dress for the following dining rooms is(whatever) and those not appropriatly dress will be redirected to the buffet or a separate informal dining room and post the notice at the entrance to the more formal dining rooms. We expect to dress most evenings including formal and expect others to respect the dress code. It is posted ion the web site, pre cruise info pack and in the bulletin. Those who make an effort to defy this simple courtesy should be told that they can't come into the main and special dining areas where there is a dress code. I'm sure it isn't lack of appropriate clothes but a need to defy.

If this happens I am sure that they will change their habits or choose a lower class cruise line that caters to their kind and allow the rest of us to share a lovely evening. This is not about money but CLASS.:mad:

The smoking thing drives me nuts. I don't mind smokers, in fact I am a cigar smoker. But I feel one should have clean air if they so desire. so I feel if I am in a non smoking area, that is the way it is intended to be.:)

I agree wholeheartedly with a previous poster that stated "all of the above." It shouldn't be a question of what rules should be enforced and which ones should not - all should be politely enforced by the cruise staff and officers. Whether it be a dress code (which should be followed explicitly since folks have the choice of a lido restaurant to dine in if they choose to be frumpy), babies with poop filled diapers in hot tubs, 8 year olds chasing eaching other around the adult pools only to finish their chase with cannon ball, smokers that light up wherever they want or whatever. The lack of enforcement of standards is the triumph of radical individualism and the loss of those who believe that civility has standards. Those that had marched and passionately argued for anarchy and chaos over the past 40 years now have their wish: shall those of us that disagree meet their passion with an understanding of objective pragmatic standards of behavior or will we remain apathetic?

Time will tell...

As an early riser, I usually go to the gym and then head out to the pool area. I do admit to getting chairs for my wife and child :rolleyes: who join me by 8:00am. We have a quick breakfast (Lido restaurant or pool side) and return to our chairs. We spend the morning enjoying the sun and pool. Come lunch time, we again eat by the pool or in the lido restaurant, later returning to our chairs to enjoy the afternoon by the pool.

Here are a couple of questions: should I give up my chairs or should I keep articles on them (ie: reserving them) :confused:. One part of me says...First come, first served for the day; while another part of me feels quilty for leaving personal items on our chairs and thus preventing someone else from attaining a chair.

There is the only one reason that I hold on to my chairs, not very many people pick up all their items when they go to lunch and thus freeing up chairs when I return from lunch. Simply, I have a worry that I may not get chairs for the three of us all together again. :)

I agree with truby. One chair per fanny at a time.

It's all right to save a chair for someone who has stepped away for a few minutes (to get a tray or another ice cream? to use the rest room?), but otherwise no.

Here are a couple of questions: should I give up my chairs or should I keep articles on them (ie: reserving them) :confused:. One part of me says...First come, first served for the day; while another part of me feels quilty for leaving personal items on our chairs and thus preventing someone else from attaining a chair.

There is the only one reason that I hold on to my chairs, not very many people pick up all their items when they go to lunch and thus freeing up chairs when I return from lunch. Simply, I have a worry that I may not get chairs for the three of us all together again. :)

I agree with Ruth and Trubey that "reserving" a chair for someone who's going to be back in five minutes is no big deal. Problem is many folks leave for an extended time and "expect" those chairs to still be "theirs" when they return because they've left a book, towel and/or other item on them. Some of them reserving one or more of those chairs for the entire day. In my opion, that's an unrealistic and unfair expectation due to the limited amount of chairs available, the popularity of that particular spot around the pool, and the number of pax on the ship. Plus, and here we go with rules and their enforcement again, the reserving of chairs is prohibited and is widely published in the daily program and announced by the CD before or after each evening show. It's a no-no but folks still do it. Let's start the keel-hauling ;)

I can close my eyes but I have to breathe! Smoking areas!

By the way, you can not enforce the Dress Code because it is only a suggestion not a requirement.

If this happens I am sure that they will change their habits or choose a lower class cruise line that caters to their kind and allow the rest of us to share a lovely evening. This is not about money but CLASS.:mad:

Maybe all the people that don't like the "suggested" dress code should find a higher class cruise line that requires the formal dress and enforces it!

All of the rules should be enforced, but none of them are going to make or break my cruise. I think that the designated smoking areas and dress code are the ones that need to be followed the most strictly.

In my opion, that's an unrealistic and unfair expectation due to the limited amount of chairs available, the popularity of that particular spot around the pool, and the number of pax on the ship. Plus, and here we go with rules and their enforcement again, the reserving of chairs is prohibited and is widely published in the daily program and announced by the CD before or after each evening show. It's a no-no but folks still do it. Let's start the keel-hauling ;)

Based on your response, it may appear to be a cruiseship problem (ie: not enough chairs available).

Again I ask the question to everyone reading this thread: when I return to the pool, how do I get 3 chairs together so that my family can sit together:confused: Until HAL can guarantee me 3 chairs together when we return from lunch, so as to be able to supervise my 4 year old daughter and so my wife can supervise me, I will continue to reserve chairs for my family. Sorry :o

Based on your response, it may appear to be a cruiseship problem (ie: not enough chairs available).

Again I ask the question to everyone reading this thread: when I return to the pool, how do I get 3 chairs together so that my family can sit together:confused: Until HAL can guarantee me 3 chairs together when we return from lunch, so as to be able to supervise my 4 year old daughter and so my wife can supervise me, I will continue to reserve chairs for my family. Sorry :o

It's not a cruise ship problem unless you want every conceivable open deck space filled with chairs. Try walking to your destination that way! The problem is that you are not the only one that is reserving chairs against what is posted and asked of you. What is the next family to do that wants three deck chairs together only to find several that are empty but "reserved" Are they out of luck, you snooze, you lose, too bad, so sad? HAL is not going to guarantee you your chairs will be there unless they change their current policy. From what you are describing, you want your three chairs prety much for most of the day from before breakfast until before dinner.

This is a different issue than not wearing a tie or tux on a formal night. How 'bout you consider having lunch in shifts? You may want to continue reserving chairs for your family but, on your return from lunch, don't be surprised if you'll find whatever you've used to reserve your chairs placed somewhere else and your chairs taken. That, or take a cruise to Alaska in the Spring or Fall, lot's of vacant deck chairs!

It's not a cruise ship problem unless you want every conceivable open deck space filled with chairs. Try walking to your destination that way! The problem is that you are not the only one that is reserving chairs against what is posted and asked of you. What is the next family to do that wants three deck chairs together only to find several that are empty but "reserved" Are they out of luck, you snooze, you lose, too bad, so sad? HAL is not going to guarantee you your chairs will be there unless they change their current policy. From what you are describing, you want your three chairs prety much for most of the day from before breakfast until before dinner.

This is a different issue than not wearing a tie or tux on a formal night. How 'bout you consider having lunch in shifts? You may want to continue reserving chairs for your family but, on your return from lunch, don't be surprised if you'll find whatever you've used to reserve your chairs placed somewhere else and your chairs taken. That, or take a cruise to Alaska in the Spring or Fall, lot's of vacant deck chairs!

In response, we love the sun, we have as much a right as any other family to have our pool chairs together; all day if we choose just like every other person who is on the cruise. I do not believe there is a restriction on the amount of time we get to spend in the sun. By default, if there is no sun-time restriction, there is no chair use restriction. I would only hope that fellow cruisers would have consideration for families.

But, by default again, your argument that once you leave you chair it becomes free, is in itself an argument for "you snooze, you loose, so sad, too bad" as you have mentioned. If this is the case, I will send my family to get food in the Lido restaurant and return to the pool and then I will follow suit. Oh, I guess, I now have my chairs all day long by the pool.

Do you have children? If you do, don't you wish to have them close to you.

Archived