Sailing through thunderstorms?

kmflutist

We sailed through a thunderstorm on Carnival Victory three years ago enroute to Canada. It wasn't rough, but the twist with this storm was that we had hail. Large hail, in fact. The size of hail that could have filled our ice bucket. We had an aft wrap balcony and could watch the storm from the cabin - at one point I tried to open the balcony door and ice pellets came flying in. The crew had to close the Lido deck to clean up afterward - the hail broke a lot of light bulbs. However, after the storm passed we had the coolest sunset we've ever seen at sea:

2510527480094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

We will be taking our first cruise in May and I was just wondering if cruise ships sail through thunderstorms or if they try to go around them (kinda like airplanes). Has anyone been on a cruise ship out at sea during a storm? Is it scary? Thank you in advance! :)

It is just like driving through a thunderstorm on the Interstate at home.

We sailed through a thunderstorm on Carnival Victory three years ago enroute to Canada. It wasn't rough, but the twist with this storm was that we had hail. Large hail, in fact. The size of hail that could have filled our ice bucket. We had an aft wrap balcony and could watch the storm from the cabin - at one point I tried to open the balcony door and ice pellets came flying in. The crew had to close the Lido deck to clean up afterward - the hail broke a lot of light bulbs. However, after the storm passed we had the coolest sunset we've ever seen at sea:

2510527480094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

What a GORGEOUS sunset!

when i sailed the destiny last june for 2-3 nights we had thunderstorms. the one i remember it was about 2am and i heard a whislt coming through the balcony door so i got up to check outside and it was storming. couldnt feel the ship rock or anything but it was very cool and exciting. i sat on the couch and watched the storm from inside the room for about an hour. but i'll never forget my first cruise on the sensation back in 1999. my family and i were in the atrium and all of a sudden there were about 4 people by the windows in the atrium on the empress deck and we heard them being excited about something so we went to check to see what was going on....sure enough a water spout. nothing big enough to worry about but that was exciting to see

Daughter and I cruised on the Pride in January....it was sooooo cold, almost all the way to Florida and beyond. On the first day, it snowed like heck for a couple hours. We saw something I've never experienced before: steam rising from the ocean. The air temp was something like 35 degrees and the water was in the 50-60's range which cause great twisters of steam to rise... Awesome.

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

Couple of folks enjoying the hot tub anyway.......

IMG_0183.JPG

Archived