12 day Mediteranean Cruise help, please

Uri1961

Hello everyone.

In 2007 we took a 12 day med cruise on the Brilliance in July. One of my kids was still in high school so my choices were limited. Now that its just me and my hubby we are planning to go back probably next year.

Can you tell me what would be the best months to go?? I see Oct and Nov cruises, are the excursions the same? Are shops closed during those months? Or is it better to go in June or July?

Please help!!!

Thanks

October will be ok, maybe a bit cooler in the mornings and evenings also there are more thunder storms that time of year, November will be a lot cooler and the sea not so calm.

June/ July is the better time to go IMO. I dont think the shops will be closed, well not all of them.

May and September are the months we go. The weathers not too hot for sightseeing but still lovely and its not as crowded as in the summer months.November might be a bit late the weathers not as good unless your going to the eastern Med. Im not sure about the shops but Id think they would be open all year round.

DO NOT choose June or July if you don't have to. More crowded, hotter, cruises and air more$$$ more families. The weather in September and early October are GREAT, late May is cooler, but nice air fare is MUCH better cruise fares better, less families, less crowds. All way around if you don't need to go to Europe in the summer, don't!!:o:o

DO NOT choose June or July if you don't have to. More crowded, hotter, cruises and air more$$$ more families. The weather in September and early October are GREAT, late May is cooler, but nice air fare is MUCH better cruise fares better, less families, less crowds. All way around if you don't need to go to Europe in the summer, don't!!:o:o

There were hardly any families on our cruise end June and July, schools in UK dont break up until end of July and Europe nearly the same. We didnt find the crowds too bad either and the sea was as flat as a pancake. Early Sept is a good time though.

We did an Eastern Med cruise in Nov 2007. Because of flight restrictions [i.e. when we could use points] and other issues we were pretty much stuck with Nov. The weather was great for touring and site seeing, but if you want to lay out on the beach you will be disappointed. The seas were fine except for one night between Santorini and Corfu. We ended up an hour late into Corfu, but the Capt. stayed an extra hour to make up for it. Light jackets were fine most days [except for Kusadesi Turkey where it was hot enough I left my jacket on the bus in the afternoon]. We did find some things "closed for the season", but not too much. There were plenty of opportunities to spend money. Most of the "closed for the season" things were water related, like boat tours and dive shops. I would not hesitate to go in November, but I agree, the ideal time is probably September or May. October would be a bit better than Nov. because it will be warmer and a lot of the things we saw that were closed had just closed.

In 2008 we did a 12 day Med. cruise on the Brilliance in late September, early October. We had great weather and everything was open for business. FYI, we did only private excursions on this cruise and were extremely satified with them. Some of the stories we were told from others on the ship that did the ships tours had us

really glad we did.

Aubie

For information, if anything is to close for the winter, it usually does by mid October. We have travelled a lot to the European islands/ countries and this has been the case most of the time.

For instance, the Island of Kos (Greece) closes altogether mid Oct. The weather can be hit and miss from then too. If you want to go on the beach/ pool and want hot weather you need to go definately before Oct.

Thats not to say some have not experienced good weather after, its just normally a lot cooler. We went to Corfu for a weeks land vacation and ended up having one days sun. Turkey is usually a bit warmer than Greece.

. . . If you want to go on the beach/ pool and want hot weather you need to go definately before Oct. . . .

That's the bottom line. On the other hand if you are there to see the sites: architecture, scenery, museums, ruins, etc., meet people and enjoy the food, about anytime is OK. We are not beach people and so far I have never dipped a toe in a ship's pool or hot tub. For our purposes, the weather in November was a non-factor. Personally, I cannot imagine going to the Med for beaches [at least not for beaches alone]. I would think the Caribbean has much nicer beaches, but I am obviously not the one to ask -- I don't like sand in my shoes and . . . well, you know. But if that is what you want, then you probably want to go late May- early Sept.

I should add that, as a committed price snob, "off-season" is my mantra.

Agree with others, don't go in July or August (IMHO only ok if you want to lie on a beach for the whole duration). Did cruise once in August and never again, the heat was unbearable for sightseeing (have cruised the Med for the last 3 years at Easter time because of this very reason). If you can go in June or September, this is ideal as the weather is good and the crowds are definitely less! All of the shops will be open during these two months. European children are in school for both of these months (June & Sept) so there are less families and smaller crowds. Northern Europe is fine in July and August:rolleyes:, we had a fantastic cruise there last August:D.

off seasons in Europe are June to Mid-July. After mid-July the prices will still climb as private schools start breaking up, followed by the state schools. Then it's high prices until after the first week of September. I always insist that we go on Holiday outside of school times as we have no kids and want to make the most of the cheap prices.

Come October Europe does start to close down as it goes in to the cooler weather, the main cities which are along the ports of call will be open but expect the weather to turn sour.

I was in Spain last October for 2 weeks as a land holiday......... out of the 2 weeks we were there we had glorious sunshine for 2 days, the rest of the time we had storms, rain, thunder and howling winds that cut the electric out in our villa.

GO SEPTEMBER IF YOU CAN!! WEATHER IS FAB!

CK x

May and September are the months we go. The weathers not too hot for sightseeing but still lovely and its not as crowded as in the summer months.November might be a bit late the weathers not as good unless your going to the eastern Med. Im not sure about the shops but Id think they would be open all year round.

I agree. I've also been in late October and had a wonderful cruise. May, September, and October are better weather months. European cruises are "walking" cruises IMO, and we love the cooler weather if we are out walking around all day.

Shops are open all year, by the way, except major holidays. They might have more limited hours during off season, but the months we are recommending the shops are open.

I have also been to the Eastern Med during June and almost died from the heat!! Summer months are really uncomfortable in the Med, and the crowds are cah-razy!!!

Archived