Can't decide what to bring for cash..debit card, euro pre-loaded, visa pre-loaded

elsplace2

VPCats and others who have the SLR digital cameras, I found a safety strap with a padded neck on the corporatetravelsafety.com website for 19.95 plus shipping. I had previously ordered one of the safety purses and didn't even think to look for a camera strap. This might relieve your concern about cutting and stealing your camera.

B. Cole

Thanks so much for that info Cole. I will check it out. Sounds like a good solution. Agggrrrrhhhh, they don't have the "thumbs up" icon here or I would have used it. Big smile will have to do for now. :D

I found that Sears has these Pac Safe bags on line. I'm going to visit the store to see if they have any physically there and test them out.

Normally, I am super careful with my things. I ALWAYS wear my purse across my chest and pull towards the front of my body. If I'm going out someplace new, different, at night, or outside my comfort zone, I take my driver's license and a very small wallet with one debit card.

Then you should be fine.

I AM used to my fanny pack when travelling though. I'd hate to not be able to use that but I guess it could be unhooked fairly easily and quickly. The other thing is my bigger camera. I want to have good pictures and if I keep it hidden, it'll be a major problem taking it out in the middle of the crowds. I have to think about this. I could put it around my neck but I guess that could get pulled or cut or whatever. Don't know.:confused:

I'd not take a fanny pack b/c they are easily unsnapped. PacSafe purses have a closure on front that is hard to undo to get into the purse. One side of the strap unhooks with an "anchor" hook that is also very hard to unclip. It shows, as a safety feature, being able to unhook one side of the strap, pull thru a chair slat and rehook and keeping it near or on your lap. It's probably still possible to steal but much tougher.

I'm not becoming paranoid but I've travelled to most of the Caribbean islands many times, South America, the US, and some Europe and I've never thought about this stuff as much. I'm not careless but I feel like I should have a bodyguard for Barcelona. :D

Don't overstress about Barcelona. Be vigilant and use common sense. Take two different CCs (different account numbers) and split up your money and leave behind one card in your safe and only take what you need when you go out each day. Holding back some money and the other card allows you to still have financial means to pay for essentials while you are straightening out the mess of cancelling any stolen cards, etc. I live outside Washington DC and used the same precaution in Barcelona I do there. Thieves look for the easiest unsuspecting targets, remember that! Reading here sometimes makes some think they are destined to become a target. That's not so, just don't become so complacent and let down your guard to the point you aren't paying attention and realize pickpocketing does happen and you should be okay.

Financialgirl - Thanks for your comments and reassurance. I grew up in New York City, now I live in Miami, Florida, have travelled to some "iffy" areas and, I've never had a problem. How much worse can it be? :p

I'm buying that Pacsafe bag though and probably the camera strap. Those things should last for many more trips too. :)

The daily limits for an ATM are usually put on by the banks you use. You may be able to get that limit raised but I'd guess not all the way to 800 euros. You may have to take that out over a few days. BTW, I bought and used a PacSafe purse which sounds like what you had and it worked fine.

I also bought two bra stashes and niece used that the whole trip. She refused to deal with a purse. It is the size of a credit card and she put her ATM card and one CC and folded euros in it. I bought two at a place called TravelWares online two years ago (they were only like $6.50 a piece). It is meant to snap around your bra straps but she was able to hook the straps down the middle of her bra and it hung low enough to tuck into her pants. I just made sure she went into the restroom to pull out money so no one would see where her money was located. That may be an option for you. I'd not put money in luggage that's gonna be stored, I'd just not trust that. You may be able to take two different cards from different banks. I did that and I could take out the daily limit on both on the same day and in your case that may work doing the same two days in a row before your actual tours.

Regarding the tech stuff, just remember if you are cruising, it's big bucks to purchase wifi minutes on the ship because you are using their satellite. I told family we'd not be available the 12 days on ship because I was not willing to pay the outrageous satellite wifi minutes. I bought 100 minutes to keep track of the volcanic ash situation to determine if we could get home from London and it was $55 for 100 minutes - for 100 v e r y s l o w minutes! It took forever for pages to load and forever to go from page to page. We used those 100 minutes in no time and after that I refused to buy any more minutes and we stuck to free wifi in all our hotels.

We find internet cafes and send emails home that way! Most charge very reasonable fees to use their computers! :)

Financialgirl - Thanks for your comments and reassurance. I grew up in New York City, now I live in Miami, Florida, have travelled to some "iffy" areas and, I've never had a problem. How much worse can it be? :p

I'm buying that Pacsafe bag though and probably the camera strap. Those things should last for many more trips too. :)

I have a cross body leather bag I use. It would take awhile for them to cut through the leather, so I don't worry about that happening. I would notice it before they got it done! :)

What about all you women and your bra's ??? Personally I think it is the perfect spot to keep items, I always keep my cruise card there on the ship and off. I can also stash money, credit cards and my blackberry in there! LOL Works great!

Our experience in Barcelona (we have been there many times) and the rest of Europe is that although special bags might be helpful, this is not normally the issue. We have actually witnessed purse snatchings on the Ramblas (several times) and in every case the woman was just careless. In fact, on our last visit we saw a man snatch a purse that a woman had simply put under her chair at an outdoor cafe. On another trip we saw a man snatch a wallet out of an open purse that a woman had on her shoulder. DW has been traveling in Europe (extensively) with me for thirty years and takes simply precautions which work! She always wears her purse cross-shoulder and uses a large diaper pin to pin the zippers together. Pickpockets have plenty of potential targets and will almost always gravitate towards those that offer "easy pickens." As to men, I learned some habits from a retired Secret Service Agent we met on a River Cruise. He said to simply put a couple of large rubber bands around my wallet and carry it in a front pocket. Its simple but very effective because its very difficult for anyone (including me) to slip that wallet out of my pocket. We still see many men carrying a wallet in their back pocket (sometimes sticking out) and just shake our heads. Our other warning is that nobody should ever focus on Barcelona because the gypsy problem exists just about anywhere in Europe. In fact, I have personally foiled three attempts on me and none of them were in Barcelona. My problems were in Bologna, Arles, and Istanbul. In each case we easily foiled the attempts by simply being alert. The incident in Bologna was the most outrageous with a gypsy woman continuing to try and get my money even after I started hitting her with my Tote umbrella. This happened at a very busy intersection in the middle of the day and some bystanders actually starting laughing. In Arles we were approched by two gypsy boys (about 12 years old) back in the days when I would wear a fanny pack (bum pack for you Brits). The boy pushed a newspaper into my waist (trying to sell papers) while his friend reached under the paper (which hid my fanny pack) to get my money. Unfortunately all he got was my hand which probably left a nice bruise on his wrist.

Hank

I agree 100%. We have been in Barcelona may be 6 times in 3 years including a week long stay in April 2008. We spent several late nights on Rambla. Nothing happened and not even an attempt targeted to us because we obviously are not easy picks with our zipper camera bags (doubled as a purse for me) worn across our shoulders and in front of our body.

DH was targeted 3 times in Rome and in Athens - in Rome it was on a bus when the bus was at the depot, passengers boarded and bus not even crowded - 3 or 4 young teenage girls all whites by the way, working as a gang and one approached DH asking for seat switch as she was "pregnant". As DH stood up to give her the window seat at the front of the bus, he caught her hand in his outer jacket's pocket - all in it was a map... DH wouldn't let go of her arm until she took off her jacket and fled. Later one of the gang members went up to ask for the jacket, DH insisted the girl who picked his pocket to come up for it and she never had the nerve to return back to the bus. So she lost her jacket. :D

At the metro station at Athens on the line going to the port, 3 or 4 gang members tried to crush DH right at the door entrance as we board. I was first to board and he followed me. Somehow they did not try me but picked DH probably because of his white hair. DH managed to break through with a lot of commotion. A woman reached his back pocket where there was a wet paper towel (for the heat and sweat). I would also say the way how you carry your carry-on to the train probably makes a difference. For me, I dont bother to pick it up, I simply drag it up despite the gap between the train and the platform. This means I dont have to pause and I can march ahead. DH insisted to pause and pick up his carry-on then walked into the train - I think this gives the thieves time to surround him. Also with the weight of the carry-on, he easily lost his balance on one side when he was pushed. With me dragging the carry-on, I did not have the weight of the luggage to cause imbalance, so I was not a target. Needless to say, DH learned his lesson. I had been telling him NOT to carry it but drag it up the train. He never listened until the incident.

All his valuables were stored in the very tough zipper camera bag with very tough shoulder strap. The bag is canvas with reinforced case and cover, zipper and clip closure, and inside zipper compartments. He himself has hard time to get his things out when he needs to! We seriously doubt a thief can manage to steal stuff from that without causing any detectable movement and in quick order.

Thieves pick easy targets. We saw a couple in the line up for getting up the Eiffel Tower - the guy's wallet was at his back pocket and very obvious. He was pickpocketed without any awareness. Oh, the thief did not look like a gypsy either. Though we did see the usual suspects, especially the gypsy kids working the streets practically at any and every tourist spots in every European city we have been in recent years.

Stay alert of your environment, make yourself a difficult target. Thieves would turn to those who dont pay attention who are careless. They would favor a job with 10 seconds and high rate of success versus a job may take a minute and may not even succeed.

I AM used to my fanny pack when travelling though. I'd hate to not be able to use that but I guess it could be unhooked fairly easily and quickly. The other thing is my bigger camera. I want to have good pictures and if I keep it hidden, it'll be a major problem taking it out in the middle of the crowds. I have to think about this. I could put it around my neck but I guess that could get pulled or cut or whatever. Don't know.:confused:

Fanny pack is a No No for various obvious reasons.

You may want to get a sturdy camera bag which looks like a bucket with a cover. The shoulder strap usually is very sturdy and not easy to be cut off without any detection. Just makes sure you fully close the camera bag after you take out the camera for use. A wide, sturdy shoulder strap for your camera should be good enough. Wear it across the body instead of just on the neck - more comfortable and safer that way when the camera is not in use.

DH travels with one such bag but he uses Video camera. He keeps his cards, wallets in the camera bag (bucket) as well.

DVC Annie - I assume the DVC is for Disney Vacation Club? Where are you staying at Diseyland Paris? We're going to be there in June, 2011 but haven't made reservations yet. Either this week or next.

DVC Annie - I assume the DVC is for Disney Vacation Club? Where are you staying at Diseyland Paris? We're going to be there in June, 2011 but haven't made reservations yet. Either this week or next.

:D Yes! DVC = Disney Vacation Club... I booked a 1 night / 2 day park package at the DLP Hotel Cheyenne for our first night in Paris. Figured no need to blow a bunch of money on a room that we'll only be using to shower & sleep in for 1 night. I've heard that tho its not fancy that the theming is good at that one. Everybody LOVES the Hotel New York but we just wouldn't be there long enough to enjoy it. Then for our 2nd thru 4th nights we're moving into the city to the Hotel Odeon Saint Germain des Pres. It was affordable and ranked pretty good on Trip Advisor and is in a decent neighborhood - within walking distance to a lot of cafes and shopping. I think it will be really different for us as it's an old 16th century building. But it's part of the European experience I suppose.:rolleyes: Where are you planning to stay and how long will you be there??

DVC Annie - We don't have the dates finalized yet but it will probably be the third week in June. We are getting off of our Carnival Magtic cruise in Barcelona on June 3 and then renting a car to drive around France for a couple of weeks before stopping at Disney. We want to check out some of the areas that are in the Epcot France exhibit Impressions of France movie. We're planning on two nights at a cheaper Disney hotel but we're waiting on Disney to open up the cast member rates. It should be any time now. Then we're heading to Paris for a few nights and don't have those reservations yet either. In 2007 we rented an apartment for a week and that was great but we're only planning on three or four nights this time but we'll still look at an apartment since it was a lot cheaper that way. We'll end up in Rome and fly home from there on July 12.

I forgot but when are you going to be at Disney?

Linda

DVC Annie - We don't have the dates finalized yet but it will probably be the third week in June. We are getting off of our Carnival Magtic cruise in Barcelona on June 3 and then renting a car to drive around France for a couple of weeks before stopping at Disney. We want to check out some of the areas that are in the Epcot France exhibit Impressions of France movie. We're planning on two nights at a cheaper Disney hotel but we're waiting on Disney to open up the cast member rates. It should be any time now. Then we're heading to Paris for a few nights and don't have those reservations yet either. In 2007 we rented an apartment for a week and that was great but we're only planning on three or four nights this time but we'll still look at an apartment since it was a lot cheaper that way. We'll end up in Rome and fly home from there on July 12.

I forgot but when are you going to be at Disney?

Linda

AHHH....a CM discount! I caught a 30% off sale when I booked...helps a lot! My DISboard cruise peeps from the UK recommended the Cheyenne as a "budget" DLP hotel so that's why I booked that one. We're going in August...

Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned!! We will have 15 nights & that's the longest time we've ever been gone from home...we usually vaca for 10 nights... I am getting nervous about everything - not used to such a BIG trip. :)

When we were working at "real" jobs we couldn't take very long vacations either. Now that we're retired and "working" seasonally for special events at Disney we can take longer ones. Since it's really the airfare that's bad going to Europe we feel it's best to stay a while instead of making more trips. We used frequent flyer miles for our trips but now we're down to almost nothing so we'll have to wait a few years before we can do this again.l Fifteen days is still a wonderful vacation and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy Disneyland Paris and Paris.

Linda

We are traveling to Europe this summer for the first time. Two days pre-cruise in Barcelona, 12 day Med cruise, then 4 days post-cruise in Paris. After reading these boards, I am going to get one of those Capital One debit cards to avoid paying ATM fees. Also, after reading these boards, I am a bit paranoid of pickpockets in Europe. I am a pretty savvy traveler (although not to Europe) and would think it would be enough to have a TSA lock (or similar) to keep the zippers together on my backpack, just enough to dissuade some thief from opening up my backpack from behind (although we are a party of 4). I would rather not buy an expensive backpack if not necessary. Would these locks be sufficient, along with a good measure of common sense? Thanks for any input.

We are traveling to Europe this summer for the first time. Two days pre-cruise in Barcelona, 12 day Med cruise, then 4 days post-cruise in Paris. After reading these boards, I am going to get one of those Capital One debit cards to avoid paying ATM fees. Also, after reading these boards, I am a bit paranoid of pickpockets in Europe. I am a pretty savvy traveler (although not to Europe) and would think it would be enough to have a TSA lock (or similar) to keep the zippers together on my backpack, just enough to dissuade some thief from opening up my backpack from behind (although we are a party of 4). I would rather not buy an expensive backpack if not necessary. Would these locks be sufficient, along with a good measure of common sense? Thanks for any input.

They won't care if you have locks on your zippers or not, that's never the issue. They take a knife and slash it open, reach in and take whatever's there or wait for it to fall on the ground scoop it up and are long gone. It is why a backpack isn't the best option for places like Barcelona, Rome and a few other places.

If you take one, DON'T wear it on your back, DON'T put any wallet or money or anything valuable in there Only use it to carry water or snacks or such. If you insist on taking it, wear it around front if that makes sense with the zippers and such facing your body but I'd simply not use it while out and about over there. Once again it comes down to how aware you are. If you look totally lost, stop to read a map, are distracted, that's when you become a target. In a backpack your stuff is behind you, do you really want to chance not having visual sight of your belongings?

Archived