Can't decide what to bring for cash..debit card, euro pre-loaded, visa pre-loaded

elsplace2

Hi there,

I'm hoping you experts on Europe can help me decide what I should bring to get cash out of an ATM in Barcelona (and possibly the other ports we will be visiting). I will be bringing a credit card for larger purchases and I have already gotten some Euros to get us started there....but now I can't decide how to get Euros while in Barcelona.

Should I just use my debit card? Or should I get a Euro pre-loaded credit card or an American pre-loaded credit card.

Thanks for any advice out there!

You might want to call your bank to see what charges they have for using a foreignATM +conversions fees.

Each bank in the USA is different.

Usually just using your ATM/debit card is the easiest method. The exchange rate to use the pre loaded cards is usually much worse BUT you have to figure in the fees before you can tell which is a better deal for you.

Some folks also like to have a separate travel account to use .

I suggest you check with a credit union; they consistently seem to have the best total cost for foreign transactions. Bank-issued credit and debit cards usually have the best conversion rates, however they tack on significant fees - often 3% of the amount exchanged, plus a fixed charge. Our credit union charges a flat $1 per foreign transaction, and since it is VISA/MasterCard affiliated they get the bank exchange rate. We use the credit card for purchases and the debit card for ATM withdrawals (since cash from credit cards are effectively loans and there is a cash advance fee).

Make sure that your bank or credit union knows which days you will be in what country. Also give them a cell-phone number or email address where they can reach you during that period should the card clearing house suddenly decide to put a hold on your card because they have a question about a purchase or withdrawal.

ATMs by far are most efficient even after factoring in the out of network fees. If you only need a few hundred dollars than ATM as you get out of luggage when you arrive.

If you need a few hundred more there are ATMs in every port. But think thru your plan as on many port days the last thing we wanted to do was go hunting for a ATM in a foreign land.

I for one wouldn't touch a debit or credit card, both would likely suck fees just like a CC. Capital one is the best card with no direct fees.

Avoid the ship or any of them money exchange pits as they are "money pits"

Last summer, I took some Euros with me, and bought a generic (no name on the front of the card) Visa / ATM card from AAA. What's nice is that if I lose it (or it gets stolen), my name isn't on it (no identify theft issues, which have me paranoid). AAA has told me that they will replace it if it's stolen or lost as well. I don't want to carry a lot of cash on me (I'm not a big shopper) and have found that this method works best for me.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I do have another question.....when taking money out of an ATM....let's say 200 Euros....does the machine dispense it in large bills like 50's? I heard that's what it might give you.....I do not want large bills like that, because I have also heard alot of places won't take them.....if I do get large bills can I walk into any bank and exchange it for smaller bills?

Can you get those cards pre loaded with Euros ? I have been told by people that use our CAA card in Canada that you can get US or Cdn $'s only pre loaded.

Last summer, I took some Euros with me, and bought a generic (no name on the front of the card) Visa / ATM card from AAA. What's nice is that if I lose it (or it gets stolen), my name isn't on it (no identify theft issues, which have me paranoid). AAA has told me that they will replace it if it's stolen or lost as well. I don't want to carry a lot of cash on me (I'm not a big shopper) and have found that this method works best for me.

Can you get those cards pre loaded with Euros ? I have been told by people that use our CAA card in Canada that you can get US or Cdn $'s only pre loaded.

AAA here in the states, have a Euro card for pre-loading....Let's say you want the card to have 200 Euros, the card will cost you about $275 or so...of course depending on the currency exhange rate at the time......I think there is a fee as well....maybe something like $3....to load it. You can add more money to the card if you want, at any time. Like lets say you have 30Euros left on the card from this trip, well your next trip to Europe you can add additonal cash to the card. But my thing is, ATM's have fees and I don't know if it states the fee on the ATM machine...so lets say you have 200E on the card and you want to empty the card....I'm not sure you can, because you have to keep the fees in mind.

I do have another question.....when taking money out of an ATM....let's say 200 Euros....does the machine dispense it in large bills like 50's? I heard that's what it might give you.....I do not want large bills like that, because I have also heard alot of places won't take them.....if I do get large bills can I walk into any bank and exchange it for smaller bills?

My experience with European ATMs has been that you tend to get large bills. So if you withdraw 200 Euros, you're likely to get two 100 Euro bills. If you bank charges a per transaction fee, it can get expensive to try and make several smaller withdrawls to get smaller bills.

Most banks will exchange bills for smaller ones, but depending on the country it can be inconvenient due to security screening and limited operating hours.

AAA uses Travelex for its pre loaded cards and the rate is just TERRIBLE!! The ATMs in Italy do not have their own fees . It is just the fee that your own bank charges.

ATMs in Spain DO have extra fees. It is impossible to know ahead of time what they charge. Some banks here in the USA have agreements with some banks in Europe so it pays to ask your own bank about this before you leave.

Personally, the extra fees to use the ATM don't bother me all that much...first, I'm not big on shopping (so when I use them, I will take out a nice chunk of money), and two...IMO, it's piece of mind to not have my name on the card (for identity theft reasons). I plan to ave two Visa / Debit cards when I travel this summer (in case I lose one or it gets stolen). It worked for me once, why not try it again!

I travel all over Europe a lot and use only ATMs. I have never gotten larger than a 50 Euro bill.

However it is not hard to change bills in Europe as most people still use cash and not credit cards.

A good bet is a supermarket, buy a bottle of water and a little snack and even a 100 Euro bill is accepted.

Also you can always draw like 190 or 290 Euro and you will get small bills.

Again thanks for the information! Keep it coming if there is more out there....I'm really only on planning out taking cash from an ATM, hopefully no more then 2 times, so I'm not too concerned on ATM fees.

I'm glad to hear that most places will take 50's or 100's if necessary, I would assume they would have to be use to it....if that's what the ATM's give out on a regular basis....I'm not crazy about that, I don't even like to have American 50's or 100's in hand....I always feel like I'm taking the merchants money, if they need to make change for others..but I will try and find a bank to get smaller bills.....speaking of banks out of curiosity, what extra security measures do they take to make it a little more inconvienent? Also are banks open on Saturday's?

We are making our first trip to Barcelona, 3 days pre cruise and I have been reading many posts from the Spain Ports of call and now trying to convince DH, that he doesn't want to use the Credit Card to draw on his ATM but to take small amount of euros, as our bank advised, then since we are in Barcelona they have many BBVA branches, which recently took over Guaranty Federal and we can stop by a branch near our Hotel to access more as we need it until we board the ship. Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

Banks are not open on Saturdays. Also in Italy banks are sometimes locked and you have to ring a bell.

When I am in the States I feel like a crook when I pay with a large bill because the cashiers sometimes act like they have never seen a large bill. Also I have seen signs that 50 and 100 Dollar bills are not accepted ( in Honolulu).

However in Europe very few people use credit cards and merchants are used to large bills. On the other hand they might unload their small change to an unwary tourist.

From frequent traveling we've learned, we use a Capital One credit card, no conversion fees. And we opened a Capital One money market account which we use to get our euros at the ATMs. We only use this card on vacation. It can be opened for $1. It has to be open for 30 days before the initial withdrawal I believe. After that there is no unreasonable wait. You can check your balance online through the ship and see what kind of conversion rates you got. It has the best conversion rate and no sevice charge, You can sign up at capitalone.com. "It's worked great for us.

What about exchanging cash at the airport?? I have read there are Kiosks or places to exchange cash....where are these places at the airport....I was also considering bringing American dollars to exchange there.

What about exchanging cash at the airport?? I have read there are Kiosks or places to exchange cash....where are these places at the airport....I was also considering bringing American dollars to exchange there.

They charge you a high exchange rate. You pay for the convenience. You may find an ATM in the airport.

From frequent traveling we've learned, we use a Capital One credit card, no conversion fees. And we opened a Capital One money market account which we use to get our euros at the ATMs. We only use this card on vacation. It can be opened for $1. It has to be open for 30 days before the initial withdrawal I believe. After that there is no unreasonable wait. You can check your balance online through the ship and see what kind of conversion rates you got. It has the best conversion rate and no sevice charge, You can sign up at capitalone.com. "It's worked great for us.

OK, don't laugh at me TOO hard here, but I am almost 50 and have never used an ATM machine! :eek: I know, it's shocking isn't it?! I never even bothered to learn my PIN because I figured that way I wouldn't accidently use it as a debit (and incur some crazy fee for doing so).

Trying to figure out what to do for our situation this summer... Our "vacation acct." is at Wachovia / Wells Fargo. There is a Visa attached to the account that will charge a 3% fee for purchases and a $5 flat fee for use at an ATM. Our main credit card that we use is a Capital One Rewards MC (that's how we covered 2 out of our 3 airline tix). As previously said, there are no transaction fees to use it in Europe. But it's a Mastercard...I've heard that Visa is taken in more places - is that true? Should we take both types of cards "just in case"?

I could probably learn how to use an ATM before we go but I really don't want to have to waste precious time to go looking for them while on vacation. So I was thinking about trying to estimate how many euro we'd need before we go and just ordering them from one of our banks (Capital One, Wachovia/Wells Fargo and PNC). I haven't checked on anything at PNC yet as far as their fees etc. The problems that I have with doing this before we go is 1) we're doing private tours in Rome & Naples so I know we need A LOT there 2) we're going to Paris for 4 nights first so I know we'll need a LOT more there too 3) I feel we're opening ourselves up to pickpockets & theft more.

Even if I get a money belt (I already have an "anti-theft" cross body purse with the slashproof shoulder strap & locking compartments) I hate the idea of carrying all this money. There will be a safe on the ship but I don't know about what we'll have in Paris. We are going straight to Disneyland on our first day and will be storing our luggage until our room is ready while we visit the parks. Would you lock money into a suitcase and leave it in storage?!:confused: Then we're moving into the city on the evening of day #2 to another hotel for 3 nights. I got the feeling that Travelers Checks are not really used so much any more and that they're a pain to use (and do I need special ones for Europe?) But do you think I'd be crazy to just try to get like $3K in euro before we go? Would that idea make you as nervous as it's making me?? I feel like we already have sooo many accounts - would you still recommend opening a Cap One Money Market account?? I'm really torn on how to handle this... Thanks for any thoughts!

OK, don't laugh at me TOO hard here, but I am almost 50 and have never used an ATM machine! ...

Not laughing at all, I'm well over 50 and have never used an ATM either. We're in the same situation, going to Barcelona in October, and need to get an ATM card so we can get Euro's.

Bob

OK, don't laugh at me TOO hard here, but I am almost 50 and have never used an ATM machine! :eek: I know, it's shocking isn't it?! I never even bothered to learn my PIN because I figured that way I wouldn't accidently use it as a debit (and incur some crazy fee for doing so).

Trying to figure out what to do for our situation this summer... Our "vacation acct." is at Wachovia / Wells Fargo. There is a Visa attached to the account that will charge a 3% fee for purchases and a $5 flat fee for use at an ATM. Our main credit card that we use is a Capital One Rewards MC (that's how we covered 2 out of our 3 airline tix). As previously said, there are no transaction fees to use it in Europe. But it's a Mastercard...I've heard that Visa is taken in more places - is that true? Should we take both types of cards "just in case"?

I could probably learn how to use an ATM before we go but I really don't want to have to waste precious time to go looking for them while on vacation. So I was thinking about trying to estimate how many euro we'd need before we go and just ordering them from one of our banks (Capital One, Wachovia/Wells Fargo and PNC). I haven't checked on anything at PNC yet as far as their fees etc. The problems that I have with doing this before we go is 1) we're doing private tours in Rome & Naples so I know we need A LOT there 2) we're going to Paris for 4 nights first so I know we'll need a LOT more there too 3) I feel we're opening ourselves up to pickpockets & theft more.

Even if I get a money belt (I already have an "anti-theft" cross body purse with the slashproof shoulder strap & locking compartments) I hate the idea of carrying all this money. There will be a safe on the ship but I don't know about what we'll have in Paris. We are going straight to Disneyland on our first day and will be storing our luggage until our room is ready while we visit the parks. Would you lock money into a suitcase and leave it in storage?!:confused: Then we're moving into the city on the evening of day #2 to another hotel for 3 nights. I got the feeling that Travelers Checks are not really used so much any more and that they're a pain to use (and do I need special ones for Europe?) But do you think I'd be crazy to just try to get like $3K in euro before we go? Would that idea make you as nervous as it's making me?? I feel like we already have sooo many accounts - would you still recommend opening a Cap One Money Market account?? I'm really torn on how to handle this... Thanks for any thoughts!

I KNOW exactly how you feel, that's why I started this thread. I'm still battling with how I will get Euros.....Personally, I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving that kind of cash in your luggage nor would I want to carry that much. If you were going straight from the airport to your hotel, then alot of hotels have safes in their rooms. Although that is a thought....maybe your hotel has a safe you can use until you get back.

As far as ATM's, I don't use them that much, but they are pretty easy to use.....although, I don't think I will be comfortable using them in Europe. One of my concerns is, are the ATM's in English? And what if you have a cash card, how do you take it out? Usually they ask you if you are taking it from checking or savings right?

I KNOW exactly how you feel, that's why I started this thread. I'm still battling with how I will get Euros.....Personally, I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving that kind of cash in your luggage nor would I want to carry that much. If you were going straight from the airport to your hotel, then alot of hotels have safes in their rooms. Although that is a thought....maybe your hotel has a safe you can use until you get back.

As far as ATM's, I don't use them that much, but they are pretty easy to use.....although, I don't think I will be comfortable using them in Europe. One of my concerns is, are the ATM's in English? And what if you have a cash card, how do you take it out? Usually they ask you if you are taking it from checking or savings right?

We booked the crappy flight over from Dulles to Paris that lands at 5:45 am 'cuz it was $100 pp cheaper!! So there is no way in heck that our room will be ready at like 7:00 am. I am afraid to try to call them to ask a bunch of questions...don't know how expensive that would be... DOH! I feel inadequate!!

European ATM's work exactly the same as those in North America...you stick the card in but the first thing it asks is which language you want to use. English is almost universally one of the choices no matter where you are. It then asks for your pin (a myth is the pin has to be 4 digits, once upon a time that was true but now pins of 6 digits are accepted too)..it then asks how much you wish to get. The big difference is you don't get a choice of account. It will withdraw the cash from the primary account, usually a checking account, associated with the card. Northing could be eaier and to me, it's the only way I travel. Now the universal acceptance of credit cards varies by countries. For exame, while in the UK and mostly London, almost every chain store takes credit cards and my philosophy is that if a store takes credit cards, I use credit cards. I just came off a week in London and when I arrive, I withdrew £10 from an ATM (the English banks don't charge fees for this and I have a bank that doesn't charge me a fee) and I didn't go through the £10 the wholeweek..my only cash outlays were a couple of visits to an internet cafe (£1 per hour) and a couple of pints in a pub. Every last other expenditure was a credit card whether it be the theatre, the grocery stores to pick up refreshments for half time at the shows (the same bottle of soda that costs £3.50 at the theatre, cost me 90p at the grocery store along with a bag of chips...perfect half time refreshments), sandwiches for lunch daily at Pret a manger, dinners at moderately priced restaurants, my top up for my oyster card, my top up for my mobile phone, whatever, to me the only way to travel but to each his own.

Having said that, I do understand there are some countries where this doesn't work such as Germany where the crfedit card thing hasn't caught on yet. I don't know where Spain stands on this!

DVC Annie: Don't stress about ATM cards. You'll do fine. I am also from the burbs of DC. This past summer I (55 years old) took my first trip to Europe with my 19/yo college niece. I did all the reservations myself w/o the help of a TA and it was fine. I have many years of ATM/debit card use behind me though. Go use an ATM card and get used to it and you'll be fine. I also have Wachovia but didn't use any of their cards b/c they are one of the worst for foreign conversion fees. My credit union cards were much much cheaper.

I left Dulles AP with, I kid you not, $25 (US dollars) and that's it. We spent that on breakfast since we had to be there so early for our international flight. We flew from Dulles to London, spent the night at a Heathrow hotel and next day flew the other leg over to Barcelona. I used airport ATMs in both London and Barcelona only to get enough money for tranportation to our hotels. Once at our destination, I wandered till I found ATMs away from AP with cheaper rates to get more money out. I never used the ship ATM. I charged all our meals pre/post cruise which is really no different than here in the states.

I won't laugh at you for not using ATM cards if you don't laugh at me for being so horribly technologically challenged. You see, I made all the travel arrangements but told my niece her job was to figure out how to cheaply communicate with home since we were gone a total of just under a month. She took her tiny netbook and IPod and in all pre/post cruise hotels we had free wifi. So, she sends emails, checks/posts on Facebook and made a TON of calls back home Skyping from the computer. A 19 y/o makes a ton of calls - and her total bill when we got home was $2.30. All phone calls Skyping were either free (computer to computer) or in most countries we visited were no more than two cents a minute. SO, not laughing here cuz I'd have not known or done that.

Re: your Paris hotel, don't call, send an email. We stayed in London, Barcelona and Venice pre and post cruise and all my booking was done online but I sent an email to all hotels to ask for two bed configurations and someone always answered my request quickly and in english. Most of our trip was in more urban places and I never found language to be a major problem anywhere we went.

Good luck and have a great trip!!

Archived