apps for iphone

jonj

Has anyone come across any apps for their iphone that they found very useful while touring various places? Looking more for apps that don't require a wifi since we don't know if we will be able to access information in some areas.

Our port stops are Civitavecchia, La Spezia, Naples, Palermo, Malta, Ajaccio, Villefranche

TIA

• 1 month later...
Has anyone come across any apps for their iphone that they found very useful while touring various places? Looking more for apps that don't require a wifi since we don't know if we will be able to access information in some areas.

Our port stops are Civitavecchia, La Spezia, Naples, Palermo, Malta, Ajaccio, Villefranche

TIA

You may be interested in this one from travel guru, Rick Steves.

http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

From their website:

The Rick Steves Audio Europe app organizes Rick's vast and varied library of audio content into geographic-specific playlists so you can enjoy ready access to the information that relates specifically to your travel plans. You'll get Rick's 25 self-guided tours of Europe's top museums, sights and historic walks — plus 200 tracks of travel tips and cultural insights from his radio show — all for FREE!

Enjoy!

I would agree that you should install the Rick Steves app. If you're traveling with somebody, be sure to bring a Y adapter so you can both plug in your ear buds to listen to the audio.

Be sure to download the tours you need within the app before you leave home.

20110320-r1n48rrtxy7bqcbxae5dhf65xa.jpg

Also search the iTunes store using the term MTRIP. I have downloaded and used a number of their apps. Be sure to turn off 3G, Cellular Data and Data Roaming, but keep Location Services on. MTRIP apps use the GPS for directions. All map data is contained within the app so there is no need to pay the high price for cellular data access.

20101228-gxg7c5emwcwr4ff232dggrdw4k.jpg

Lew

Just remember that the roaming data charge can kill your budget.

Quite true. However, the two apps I recommended do not require data roaming at all. All the data needed is self-contained within the apps themselves.

Lew

Quite true. However, the two apps I recommended do not require data roaming at all. All the data needed is self-contained within the apps themselves. Lew

THANKS! Very good tip. Have been downloading a number of different highlights for our upcoming Med cruise. Interesting resource to use as we flight, travel, etc. With these items on your iPhone, you don't have to worry with roaming costs, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 36,910 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry,

Time is winding down to our 3½ week trip to France. I want to thank you, and Hank too, for all the help you both have given me in replies to my questions and in other posts I have come across. A good example is your advice on visiting the Champagne region that's going to be handy while we're in Paris.

Another iPhone tip if you plan to do any driving in Europe: Some navigations apps have all their map data self contained. Navigon and TomTom do contain all the map data you need, eliminating the need to have data roaming turned on. The built-in Maps app and the Garmin app download map data as needed which could cost an arm and a leg in cell phone costs.

I purchased the Navigon USA/Canada app in January before leaving for Florida and found it to be quite good. I was planning to purchase their app for all of Europe for $59.99; however, they raised the price to $119.99. I'm still going to buy it, but I'm hoping they have a sale before we leave for France.

Again, thanks for your valuable advice...

Lew

We use GoodReader, you can copy anything you want to your iphone/ipad with it and no need for an internet connection. I use it for maps, schedules, write-ups on sites, it works great.

Kirk

We use GoodReader, you can copy anything you want to your iphone/ipad with it and no need for an internet connection. I use it for maps, schedules, write-ups on sites, it works great.

GoodReader is a fantastic app.

The app I use for travel documents...confirmations, itineraries, etc...is Evernote. Basically, you store documents in Evernote on your Mac or Windows computer and it automatically syncs with Evernote on your iPhone, iPad or other mobile device.

Evernote is free for limited data syncing. You can learn more about it here.

Lew

1. A language translator. In China, we asked three waiters for bananas to put in our cereal. They had no idea what we were asking for. So we typed bananas into the translator and in two minutes we had six bananas.

2. A currency converter.

3. An alarm clock (for backup in case your other one has a dead battery or doesn't go off)

Archived