Weird Website Occurrence

discjoker

I guess I am an expert of sorts as I'm a computer programmer and have developed web sites for 10+ years.

I have seen this happened before with a site that I worked on. We enabled content caching for images and static text ONLY, or so we thought.

It turned out that there was a bug in the underlying development system that cached EVERYTHING and not just specific items. This resulted in sessions of currently logged in user becoming the session of the last person to log into the site.

It was very very bad that this happened. The good part is it was caught less then 10 minutes after it went live and we rolled back to the old site.

I'm not saying this is what happened here, but it's an example of the kinds of things that can happen.

Just for the record. Different browsers and even different versions of browsers handle sessions differently.

H

Based on what I am seeing in the URL, Celebrity has fixed this problem. No longer are they using "session ID" which correlates to a cookie stored on your computer. When you now exit "My Celebrity", the URL contains "exitToHome" which basically "un-remembers" you to a certain extent. You are at this point free to surf the Celebrity site without your "unique" session ID appearing in all URLs. They still store a Cookie on your machine, so if you click on "My Celebrity" it should have your name, but your unique session ID doesn't carry over when you surf the site after exiting "My Celebrity".

I called them because I thought it was the right thing to do.

Security breach, messed up website, whatever happened, I thought

Celebrity should know about it. Hopefully if it is fixed, it will stay that

way and if the glitch is still there they will find it and fix it.

You absolutely did the right thing. Super messed up situation. Keep us updated if/when they get back to you please.

I had this happen once when I tried to join a blog. I entered MY email address and it took it and said welcome xxxxxxxxxxx, the name was for a cruise site and not me and it would not let me change anything. I contacted the owner of the blog and asked him to delete it. I did have two additional windows open, one on cruise critic and one on another cruise info site. WEIRD

Letting them know that you had a problem on their site is absolutely the right thing to do.

It's your information and you have the right to expect it to be protected from unauthorized access (intentional or not).

Lois,

Today i had been on Celebrity's web site, i had logged off and went to look at my local news and the page that came up was celebrity's but somewhat messed up, not the news article i had clicked on. Tried again to go to the news article and Royal Caribbean site came up. I shut and re-opened my browser and everything worked as it should.

I guess i should call Celebrity and let them know. Kinda wierd.

Tina

So glad I came across this thread. Celebrity is one of a dozen super persistent cookies I haven't been able to delete despite all my efforts. I've been afraid it would lead to a security breach.

Hope as the answers come for your major problem with Celebrity my little one gets solved as well.

I went back to check "My Celebrity" again on the Celebrity web site after seeing this thread and it still had the same problem. I carefully made sure to log out, but when I tried going back to "My Celebrity" hours later, it still displayed my full name.

This could be a problem for someone accessing the Celebrity website on a public computer because many of them are set up to prevent people from clearing the cookies.

However, even if you are able to clear the cookies, many people are not aware of the need to do so after logging out and it should not be necessary in order to maintain one's privacy. I consider this to be a security oversight in their system.

Archived