What time to arrive at BWI???

sharod

For our upcoming cruise, we have a 2:15 pm Saturday flight out of BWI, heading to FLL. We haven't flown since 2007, and now will have to deal with the bodyscanners at security. BTW, does everyone go through the scanner/get a patdown, or is it random???

My question is, what time should we get to the airport? We do not have to worry about parking (thank you future son in-law for living close and dropping us off:p), but we will have to check bags.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Domestic flight you should be there 90 minutes prior to flight.

I usually give myself the better part of 2 hours, even for a domestic flight! I just didn't know with the addition of the bodyscanner or any new patdown procedures, if I need to allow extra time.

I also have never had a flight in the afternoon. I am more of a morning girl;). So, not sure how busy BWI is on a Saturday afternoon.

It has been my experience that bodyscanners are not at every security gate. At SFO, where each security chokepoint can have up to 3 metal detector lines, only one might have a body scanner. In fact, over our last dozen or so flights (departing SFO, but returning from many other airports) I haven't even seen a body scanner. The issue of body scanners delaying security is way overblown.

BWI is a very busy airport and handles the crowds very well once you get into the building. The ring road in front of the departure gates are a little bit hairy (read lots of cars dropping folks and baggage off and then pulling back into traffic). I would suggest that your almost SIL drop you at the departure doors and you grab your bags out of the trunk and go right on in to the check in lines. Parking in the closest lot still has a fairly long walk over the skywalk to the terminal. Drop and go is our favorite.

At BWI the body scanner is used but it does not slow anything down. SWA is the largest carrier (55% of total) and they are the first terminal on the line as you come into departure (upper) terminals. AirTran is 2nd biggest and it is further down and uses the 2nd series of security gates.

Terminal A (SWA) has chick-fil-A, Hamburgers, pizza, coffe bar and other places to eat and drink once you are through security.

Love BWI. Clean, and easy to maneuver and because of the huge presence of Southwest and AirTran we have the cheapest domestic fares in the land. Lots of military in and out also. Good luck. Wave as you take off and that would be my house underneath you. :D

Glad it made you laugh, but not intended to do so. The "chokepoint" is the only way you can get thru. It is designed to bring the flow to a narrow area, or choke point.

See, I learned something new today! Never knew that area was called a chokepoint. Hope I didn't offend you by laughing, just my ignorance:o.

BWI is a very busy airport and handles the crowds very well once you get into the building. The ring road in front of the departure gates are a little bit hairy (read lots of cars dropping folks and baggage off and then pulling back into traffic). I would suggest that your almost SIL drop you at the departure doors and you grab your bags out of the trunk and go right on in to the check in lines. Parking in the closest lot still has a fairly long walk over the skywalk to the terminal. Drop and go is our favorite.

At BWI the body scanner is used but it does not slow anything down. SWA is the largest carrier (55% of total) and they are the first terminal on the line as you come into departure (upper) terminals. AirTran is 2nd biggest and it is further down and uses the 2nd series of security gates.

Terminal A (SWA) has chick-fil-A, Hamburgers, pizza, coffe bar and other places to eat and drink once you are through security.

Love BWI. Clean, and easy to maneuver and because of the huge presence of Southwest and AirTran we have the cheapest domestic fares in the land. Lots of military in and out also. Good luck. Wave as you take off and that would be my house underneath you. :D

Glad to know the scanner will not affect my normal timing. I always fly out of BWI and pretty much know the routine. Although, this is my first time flying SW.

I will wave as we take off:p!

In July we flew in and out of BWI (with our grandchildren). It was a great experience. Very organized, clean, good places to eat. Transporation was via van from the car rental agency, so I can't speak for the traffic. We did arrive two hours early.

Enjoy your cruise.

In July we flew in and out of BWI (with our grandchildren). It was a great experience. Very organized, clean, good places to eat. Transporation was via van from the car rental agency, so I can't speak for the traffic. We did arrive two hours early.

Enjoy your cruise.

Traffic around Baltimore/Washington DC just stinks but on a Saturday it won't be too bad if nothing if going on at Camden Yards or the football staduim. BWI suggests being at the airport 90 minutes before your flight. Although I flew out of there about 50 times on Southwest when I lived near there and never waited in security line for more than 15 minutes. If you are on Southwest, they use A and B concourses.

Weigh your luggage before you go, airlines have a 50 pound limit and they are not flexible. Mine was 52 pounds and they told me to take stuff out or pay the fee.

Camden Yards! We live in a small town. Hardly no traffic except for Bike Week and hurricane evacuation. We travelled from south of DC to Camden Yards for a ballgame on Saturday evening. Left four hours early as we planned on exploring the area. Traffic was backed-up almost as soon as we hit DC. I kept looking for the accident and then realized it was traffic for the ballgame. Arrived just in time and had a wonderful time.

BWI on Saturday can still get into traffic messes. There is a major shopping mall of about 70 + stores about 2 miles from terminal and traffic patterns there can be problem. Route 50 in summer can be a bear with beach traffic if you are coming from the south -- people jam other roads trying to avoid major arteries. Just listen to WTOP 103.5 FM and they will give traffic on the 8's. Bet you will come off loving BWI -- for large it is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I fly out of BWI on Southwest about once a month for business travel. If you are flying SWA and are checking bags, here is something I have found. There are 2 security checkpoints for the SWA gates (Terminals A & B). Go to the checkpoint for Terminal B (the one on your left if you are facing the SWA check in counters. I find the security lines here to be shorter than at checkpoint A (A is across from the main doors to this part of the airport). Once you get past security, you can get to any A or B gate since the space is connected (B to the left and A to the right). Once you get past security, you come out in an area with a nice food court that actually overlooks some of the A gates. If I have time, I like to grab a bite to eat and watch the planes loading and unloading.

Hope this helps.

I fly out of BWI on Southwest about once a month for business travel. If you are flying SWA and are checking bags, here is something I have found. There are 2 security checkpoints for the SWA gates (Terminals A & B). Go to the checkpoint for Terminal B (the one on your left if you are facing the SWA check in counters. I find the security lines here to be shorter than at checkpoint A (A is across from the main doors to this part of the airport). Once you get past security, you can get to any A or B gate since the space is connected (B to the left and A to the right). Once you get past security, you come out in an area with a nice food court that actually overlooks some of the A gates. If I have time, I like to grab a bite to eat and watch the planes loading and unloading.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!! I will take your advice.

Less than 1 week to go, then it is VACATION mode!

Archived