I-76 or I-80 in PA

TwinCruiserMom

We will be driving from Ohio on I-70 for our journey to NYC in June for our cruise.

Should we take I-70 to the Turnpike in PA or head up to I-80? We drove the PA turnpike years ago and it was not pleasant.

Also, please list any highways we want to stay away from in New Jersey. I thought I read that 1 and 9 around Newark are horrible.

We will most likely use the Lincoln Tunnel as our hotel is not far from there. We may get a hotel around the Meadowlands area the night before we venture into NYC.

Thanks!

We will be driving from Ohio on I-70 for our journey to NYC in June for our cruise.

Should we take I-70 to the Turnpike in PA or head up to I-80? We drove the PA turnpike years ago and it was not pleasant.

Also, please list any highways we want to stay away from in New Jersey. I thought I read that 1 and 9 around Newark are horrible.

We will most likely use the Lincoln Tunnel as our hotel is not far from there. We may get a hotel around the Meadowlands area the night before we venture into NYC.

Thanks!

80 without a doubt. Almost every exit has a truck stop/repair service/convenience store should you need those. The turnpike is twisty, curvy, banked the wrong way in spots and the only services available are those in the service plazas. Overpriced and fast food to eat. I-80 is also FREE. The tolls on the Pennsy Pike have gotten astronomical.

280 in NJ is crap. 1&9 is not bad in parts but why you would have any reason to go on 1 & 9 in Newark is beyond me.

80 without a doubt. Almost every exit has a truck stop/repair service/convenience store should you need those. The turnpike is twisty, curvy, banked the wrong way in spots and the only services available are those in the service plazas. Overpriced and fast food to eat. I-80 is also FREE. The tolls on the Pennsy Pike have gotten astronomical.

280 in NJ is crap. 1&9 is not bad in parts but why you would have any reason to go on 1 & 9 in Newark is beyond me.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know.

Now I have to decide the best route to I-80 from Dayton, OH. Have used several search engines and have come up with routing through Akron, going north at Wheeling and another going north further into PA. Probably any route will do as long as it gets me to I-80.

Thanks again for your response.

I take this very route a few times per year to visit family.

Your best (and quickest) bet is I-70 to I-76 to I-78 to NJ turnpike to the Lincoln tunnel. Yes, you will be on the PA turnpike for about 150 miles but it is not that bad.

Alternately, you can take I-70 to I-71 to I-76 to I-80 to the George Washington Bridge.

Outside of Columbus, you should hit very little traffic until you get into New Jersey.

If you are looking for a nice place to stop about halfway check out the Bedford Springs hotel in Bedford, PA. One of the nicest hotels I have ever been to. It's at the I-70/I-99 junction.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know.

Now I have to decide the best route to I-80 from Dayton, OH. Have used several search engines and have come up with routing through Akron, going north at Wheeling and another going north further into PA. Probably any route will do as long as it gets me to I-80.

Thanks again for your response.

75 to 71 to 76-76 and 80 meet around Youngstown. East on 80.

I take this very route a few times per year to visit family.

Your best (and quickest) bet is I-70 to I-76 to I-78 to NJ turnpike to the Lincoln tunnel. Yes, you will be on the PA turnpike for about 150 miles but it is not that bad.

78 can be very, very nasty in Western NJ. I own a trucking company and 78 in Western NJ is one route my guys absolutely HATE going on. We do a lot of business out of Allentown, Pottsville and the Reading area and most of my guys leave North Jersey, run West on 80 and then south on the Extension, 209, 33 or 81. Yes, more miles and possibly more tolls. But no 2-3 hour traffic jams where you are sucking up $4.00 per gallon fuel and creeping along at 8MPH.

I stick by my routing across 80. Faster, easier, better facilities and a prettier drive.

Thanks for the advice. It does look like the route 70 to 71 to 76 to 80 would work out the best. Either that or we will be taking state routes through PA to catch 80 from 70, which may not be such a great idea.

I have been looking more at the ending of our route and wondering is the George Washington Bridge preferred over the Lincoln Tunnel?

Should I have plans to go either way and then listen to the radio to see if there are any accidents or hold ups? What radio station is best for traffic information? Is there a good internet site I could check out before we leave our hotel in the morning?

We will be driving to our hotel in Midtown around 8th and 51st if that helps with the routing. Unfortunately, we are arriving on a Thursday morning (June 2nd) around 9am so we are expecting huge amounts of traffic.

Thanks so much!

I have been looking more at the ending of our route and wondering is the George Washington Bridge preferred over the Lincoln Tunnel?

Should I have plans to go either way and then listen to the radio to see if there are any accidents or hold ups? What radio station is best for traffic information? Is there a good internet site I could check out before we leave our hotel in the morning?

We will be driving to our hotel in Midtown around 8th and 51st if that helps with the routing. Unfortunately, we are arriving on a Thursday morning (June 2nd) around 9am so we are expecting huge amounts of traffic.

Thanks so much!

Some quick answers for you...

You should be good with either the GWB or Lincoln Tunnel. If you take the bridge, stay on the upper level for great views of Manhattan, then the Henry Hudson to 12th Ave to 55th street for the terminal. At that time of the morning, not much of a difference either way. Traffic is going to be really bad, but not much you can do about it either way.

Check AM 1010 WINS and traffic.com for traffic info in the morning.

Just saw that your hotel is at 51st & 8th, one of my favorite (relatively cheap) NYC restaurants is right around the corner from your hotel. Check it out for one of your meals if you have some time. It's called Eatery - 53rd & 9th.

Please, do yourself a favor and use I-80 instead of I-76. The Pennsylvania Turnpike was one of the very first limited-access highways ever built, and while it was highly advanced for its day, the state of the art for highway construction has progressed considerably since then. Simply put, it's not an easy or pleasant drive. The road twists and turns in spots, and it seems too narrow. (The lanes may be slightly narrower than the standard 12-foot width for an interstate highway, though I'm not absolutely sure about that.)

And on top of that, you get to pay for the privilege of using this antiquated road. Just say no.

We are definitely taking I-80 and I am now looking for a hotel about 1 hour away from NYC.

Still would like opinions on George Washington Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel since we are traveling at 9am on a weekday. It is going to be a pain either way.

Thanks for all the replies!

Look on Hotwire for hotels in Parsippany. I'd do the GW Bridge unless radio 1010 or 880 says it is hideous. On the upper bridge get in the far right lane and on the lower bridge get in the left lane to get off at the very first exit - Henry Hudson Parkway south

75 to 71 to 76-76 and 80 meet around Youngstown. East on 80.

This coming July's cruise will be the 4th time that we've taken this route (we live in the Akron/Canton area of Ohio near the I-77/I-76 interchange) and it's definitely the best.

We are definitely taking I-80 and I am now looking for a hotel about 1 hour away from NYC.

Still would like opinions on George Washington Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel since we are traveling at 9am on a weekday. It is going to be a pain either way.

Thanks for all the replies!

Did you think of coming in the day before and possibly staying at a bed & breakfast on Staten Island?

If you are staying in the Meadowlands area there is no need to use 1 or 9. Route 3 east will take you to the Lincoln Tunnel. If you decide to travel via the GWB, you can take the NJTP extension right near the sports complex to I 80/95 to the GWB.

880am (wcbs) has traffic updates every ten minutes on the 8's.

I traveled through the tunnel to the NYC pier last June about the same time you are planning and the traffic was minimal. The year prior I left closer to noon and the traffic was significantly greater. Do not travel up 12th to the pier. Found it much easier to travel up 10th (I think it was 10th avenue) to the cross street (can't recall which one) and then turn left to the ramp to the pier.

Look on Hotwire for hotels in Parsippany. I'd do the GW Bridge unless radio 1010 or 880 says it is hideous. On the upper bridge get in the far right lane and on the lower bridge get in the left lane to get off at the very first exit - Henry Hudson Parkway south

Parsippany is the area I was thinking about. Have also found some hotels in an area called Mount Arlington. I would like to have about an hour driving time the next day. I have been leaning toward the George Washington Bridge so it is good to have your input on that.

Thanks for the advice!

Archived