Beaches in Greece

Scorpiorose

Of those 3 we would choose Mykonos for a beach day. The reason is that the island has very little to see beyond browsing in Mykonos Town or going to a beach. You can simply go to the bus station near the windmills in town and grab the local bus out to Paradise Beach. This is a very nice sandy beach with lots of facilities. If you prefer a more private beach you can get a water taxi right from Paradise over to Super Paradise where there are fewer folks (and fewer facilities). Santorini also has some nice beaches (we like Red Beach) but they are not as convenient and there is a lot more to do on Santorini.

Hank

best island for a beach day? Best beach???? (clean, easy to get to, nice water) Santorini, Corfu, Mykonos

Have not, YET, been to Santorini and Corfu, but we super loved the nice variety of beaches on Mykonos. Below is a little photo sampler on some of what we saw when we rented a car and traveled around during our cruise visit to Mykonos.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Here are some additional visual samples on the opposite side from the Mykonos village for various beachside activities:

MykBeachWalking.jpg

MykBeachHuts.jpg

MykBeachWindSurf.jpg

MykBeachOpenSand.jpg

Are all the beaches on Mykonos free to the public? It looks like one has a fence around it, how do you get in? Looks like it's the beach in Mykonos for us!

Yes, that one picture showed a fence, but most things seemed very free and open. There would be charges for certain chairs, covered areas, etc. Glad you like the photo views! A picture is worth a thousand words. There were a nice range of different beaches as I observed on this island. Seeing the wind surfing was fun and interesting on that Sunday when we were there. Fortunately, our ship was one of only two smaller ones in port that day. If you are there with four or five big to mega boats, that crowding can lessen the experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

There are buses going on most of the beaches during all day with the fare about 2 Euros per person. Finding a taxi is not that easy during the summer months but off season it's easy finding one at the center of the town. I have not ever taken a taxi, but i am from Greece and i know that the rates would be about 15-20 Euros. Try about renting a car, it's about 40-50 Euros per day.

All the beaches in Mykonos are free for everyone, but the umbrellas and the lounge chairs cost about 10 Euros each , almost in every beach.

There are buses going on most of the beaches during all day with the fare about 2 Euros per person. Finding a taxi is not that easy during the summer months but off season it's easy finding one at the center of the town. I have not ever taken a taxi, but i am from Greece and i know that the rates would be about 15-20 Euros. Try about renting a car, it's about 40-50 Euros per day.

All the beaches in Mykonos are free for everyone, but the umbrellas and the lounge chairs cost about 10 Euros each , almost in every beach.

Thanks Kostis....I think I may look into the buses, if you think that might be a good way to go. Any beach you think is the best? I appreciate your advise since you are from Greece.

Yep the buses seem to be the best choice! As for the beaches many choices over there. It's up to you if you want well organised, party beaches pretty much crowded or something else. If you are looking for these crowded (but very beautiful) beaches i recommend Super Paradise , Paradise or Psarou , they all look the same. For something less crowded you can pick any beach you find passing by (many options) ;)

Hum, maybe Sugar Paradise because while at the beach we like meeting locals, unless you think it will be tourists only there.

I checked and there aren't any other cruise ships in town believe it or not!

Thanks Kostis, any other advise?

There are two small bus stations in Mykonos Town and you need to go to station that is near the Windmills (the opposite side of town from the cruise port) to get the bus that runs out to Paradise Beach (probably the best beach option for most folks).

Hank

Yep that's right the bus runs to Paradise beach very often. As for the Super Paradise buses don't go over there because the road is very narrow, you can only go there by car,motorbike, or take a small tourist boat from Paradise. As for meeting locals , that's not easy :eek: . There are much more tourists than locals almost everywhere!( When i visit Mykonos i feel like a foreigner! :D ) You will meet locals in the morning inside the old town and the shops and at some other beaches far away from the center which the bus cannot reach!

Yep that's right the bus runs to Paradise beach very often. As for the Super Paradise buses don't go over there because the road is very narrow, you can only go there by car,motorbike, or take a small tourist boat from Paradise. As for meeting locals , that's not easy :eek: . There are much more tourists than locals almost everywhere!( When i visit Mykonos i feel like a foreigner! :D ) You will meet locals in the morning inside the old town and the shops and at some other beaches far away from the center which the bus cannot reach!

You mean there are actually some Greeks on Mykonos? Never met one :)

Hank

Archived