communicating on Oasis...help

There are 11 of us in 5 rooms on Oasis. We have checked with verizon twice and we are basically screwed. Does anyone have some help on how to communicate with kids while on board? texting is WAY to expensive and the walkie- talkies NEVER work out for us. Was just looking for any tips or help. Does RCCL have any sort of system?

Thanks for your help- every tip is great.

Go to guest relations and rent iphones for the week. I think it's 25 per phone and a huge fee if lost. You can also get your kids id bracelets that you can trace on the iphone. You can make calls between iphones and to staterooms or any normal onboard number

There are 11 of us in 5 rooms on Oasis. We have checked with verizon twice and we are basically screwed. Does anyone have some help on how to communicate with kids while on board? texting is WAY to expensive and the walkie- talkies NEVER work out for us. Was just looking for any tips or help. Does RCCL have any sort of system?

The system we used was to review our plans in advance for the next day (we all highlighted our choice of activities in our Cruise Compass's as we waited in the theater each evening to see the show- extra compass's can be obtained in Guest Relations so everyone has their own copy), and discussed what time we were going to breakfast (we would meet in one of the lounges or at a designated area in the Boardwalk and would wait for the whole group to arrive); then went to eat together (because the Windjammer and the MDR are so large you wouldn't be able to easily find your group). At breakfast, members of the group would again review with me what they were planning on doing (eg, we'll be hanging out on the main pool deck at the salt water beach pool), and if they wanted to join us for lunch ("see you in Central Park in front of Giovanni's Restaurant at 12 noon")! After that, if anyone decided to change their plans, they would use one of the public phones that were conveniently located outside the Windjammer, pool deck, elevators, and call MY room to leave a message on my answering machine. My balcony stateroom was conveniently located 30 seconds away from the Boardwalk, so I just checked my messages periodically so that I knew what everyone in my group was doing. We did a lot of "free" room to room calling to update the others if someone was going to be delayed for lunch, or if they wanted to change their plans, etc. We all also carried compact notebooks and tiny pencils for the occasional notes on the stateroom doors also. It sounds complicated, but it actually was very convenient. If someone was delayed or we "lost" someone, it became their responsibility to call my stateroom to leave a message about what happened and where they could be reached. Saved us so much extra time in the long run!

We rented the IPhones on the Oasis. There was a 1000.00 charge per phone if you lost it, so it's something to consider. The bracelets are kinda bulky. My daughter would not wear it. She ended up putting in a little coin purse that hung from her neck. It helped us track her whereabouts.

My son and DH both got phones. We text him or vice versa. I got a bracelet and stuck that it my beach bag if I separated from my husband while doing my own thing. It was the best money spent on the cruise. The cost was $17.00 last august. The bracelets were free.

Depends on the ages of the kids.

Older kids, go with the old fashioned way. Post it notes, wipe boards, and voice mail which you can check from any house phone. Make a plan on when and where to meet up to check in.

Even the best of motorola walkie talkies you'd typically use do not work well on board.

Only you know your kids and if they are responsible for their respective ages. If you rent the phones and your child (age??) loses it, you're out a lot of $$.

tneah - $17 per iphone?? Wowaaaa Cheap, If thats all it costs we might just rent them! and, our kids are 22 and 18!

Tbone...when are you sailign Oasis? We are sailing this coming Saturday the 5th. If thats your sailing too go to the Roll call section of this board and sign up for the meet and mingle. There are lots of us on there chatting and some of us have kids. I too am worried about communication as I have two boys. and one is 13. The "iphone" people are speaking about here was my original plan but has been temporarily taken off the ships for upgrades and they dont know when they will have them back:( I am so bummed about that!

Archived