To take the stroller or not...that is the question?

queenL

I have always taken our umbrella stroller with us in the past. Now, DD just turned 4. She is a big girl now (her words) :) and isn't really feeling the stroller anymore. I'm kind of nervous that the minute I leave it behind I will wish I had it. We do sometimes do a lot of walking in port (not to mention it stashes my purchases). If you have a child about the same age, did you take your stroller? If you didn't did you have any regrets?

We didn't use one on a Western Caribbean cruise in November with a 4 and 2 1/2 year old. They both were fine without one, but we stopped using them at home awhile back as well. We did a decent amount of walking, shopping, etc.

I am considering taking one w/ us. Because like you said I will most likely want it when I dont have it lol. My son is 4 also and doesnt use it home ( my younger daughter does though) but I do always place shopping bags, coolers, my purse etc... in it so I think it will be perfect for that.

hi all, DH and I are planning on bringing one for our DS who will be 2 1/2 by the cruise.

Any recommendations on affordable and lite weight strollers that are easily folded and doesn't take too much space?

Consider the Maclaren Volo. Depending on when you're cruising, you may have plenty of time to shop for prices. http://www.kidcrawl.com will set up a price alert for you. I also got my Volo brand new in box on eBay from babyproductstore, which is rumored to be the official Maclaren outlet (basically the same address as Maclaren US).

Consider the Maclaren Volo. Depending on when you're cruising, you may have plenty of time to shop for prices. www.kidcrawl.com will set up a price alert for you. I also got my Volo brand new in box on eBay from babyproductstore, which is rumored to be the official Maclaren outlet (basically the same address as Maclaren US).

this is very very helpful.

I have a 4.5 yo and we still use our Maclaren volo when we go to the mall sometimes so I plan on bringing it on our cruise.

Have you seen this -

"Recall

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Consistent with our unwavering commitment to child safety we are providing U.S. consumers notice of a voluntary recall of all Maclaren umbrella strollers sold in the U.S. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, we are providing free of charge to all affected consumers and retailers a kit to cover the stroller's hinge mechanism, which poses a fingertip amputation and laceration hazard to the child when the consumer is unfolding/opening the stroller. The affected models include Volo, Triumph, Quest Sport, Quest Mod, Techno XT, Techno XLR, Twin Triumph, Twin Techno and Easy Traveller.

Maclaren USA's Umbrella Strollers meet all U.S. ASTM & JPMA compliance standards. These certifications guarantee our umbrella strollers meet the maximum safety standards available. The voluntary recall is to alert the operator when opening or closing the stroller of the possible risk of injury.

Safety is our first priority and through this voluntary effort we urge consumers to contact us immediately to obtain the kit which consists of hinge covers designed specifically to fit all Maclaren strollers.

Maclaren stresses all operators read the instruction manual prior to use which contains valuable safety tips and service recommendations."

Do a Google on "Maclaren Volo Recall"

DON

I would bring something small, if you don't think she'll use it....you can always stash your "stuff" in it....purchases, towels, etc....but when she starts whining how tired she is, you'll be glad to have something!

hi all, DH and I are planning on bringing one for our DS who will be 2 1/2 by the cruise.

Any recommendations on affordable and lite weight strollers that are easily folded and doesn't take too much space?

We've been pleased with our Graco Metrolite stroller. It's a standard-sized one (bigger than an umbrella stroller), but it's lighter and not as large as most others in its class. It gives a good ride and has storage space underneath, and folds up pretty easily too.

We've been pleased with our Graco Metrolite stroller. It's a standard-sized one (bigger than an umbrella stroller), but it's lighter and not as large as most others in its class. It gives a good ride and has storage space underneath, and folds up pretty easily too.

thank you, there are so many options, thanks :)

My 3.5 year old son doesn't use a stroller at home much, and didn't use one on the ship, but we were glad to have one for some of our more walking intensive shore visits (not when we just went to the beach), and it was nice to have something on which to hang bags.

I too recommend the Maclaren Volo. It's the one we use at home for both him and our 1.5 year old daughter when we need to go in the subway and for other trips where they will need to be lifted. There was a recall, but they sent us the part to fix the issue, and the new ones should all be fine. It's an excellent stroller that has lasted a long time and is very very light and easy to fold. We usually stash them both under the bed during the cruise without any problems.

Some ships dock a LONG way from the action. In Nassau, I bet we walked 1/2 mile just to get to the taxis. They said that they nomally have a shuttle, but that it was broken. I'm bringing a stroller just in case. The girls don't use one at home, but we plan on doing more walking in the ports than they nomally do at home.

Nancy

Our first trip was when the boys were 4 and 2, DS2 used the stroller infrequently throughout the trip. This year (5 and 3) we brought the stroller to the airport and left it in the trunk. We were so glad we didn't bring it. That being said, DS2 loves the Ergo carrier, so I had that to use in the airports and long port walks (like Nassau, as someone else already mentioned). Next year we'll bring the Ergo but I don't see us using it much, maybe airports but that's it.

OTOH this is what works for my little guy. He hates the stroller, so it's a big deal to get him to use it. If your child actually likes the stroller it could be worth your while to bring it, especially if its a comfort zone during crazy times in the day. We can all tell you what we do, but ultimately all our kids are different, and what works for us may not work for you.

We didn't bring one on our most recent trip (just before DS' 4th Birthday) and am so glad we left it at home. I think this really depends on your child. We went on a Western Carib cruise and didn't do a lot of walking in ports so it really wasn't necessary. Did a ton of walking on the ship but never felt the need for the stroller.

I just bought the Britax Blink stroller...I have a Mac Volo, but my issue with it is that it doesn't recline. The blink is compact, has a shoulder strap, a good canopy, decent basket, and a very good recline, and its cheaper than the volo. Got a good deal at Albeebaby.com

I will be taking our stroller with us in April for DD will be 4.

I guess I don't have the patience for how slow she walks and her wandering ...If I need to get to someplace in a hurry with no problems I put her in the stroller.. I still use it in the mall. I have a bad back and can not and will not carry an almost 3yr old from the mall thru the parking lot.

Oh and it holds my purse too ! Bring the stroller.

Just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise with our almost 4yr old. Never had the need to put her in a stroller on the ship or in port. Then again she never uses one at home either and is used to having to walk. I would say go with whatever you do at home. If you still even occasionally use the stroller at home then I would probably bring it on the cruise.

Just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise with our almost 4yr old. Never had the need to put her in a stroller on the ship or in port. Then again she never uses one at home either and is used to having to walk. I would say go with whatever you do at home. If you still even occasionally use the stroller at home then I would probably bring it on the cruise.

Yeah, We don't use at home anymore. We are also very active. She jogs with me and goes on walks at least a mile or so. I'm thinking she would be ok this time. The other factor is that Atlanta airport let's you cut security lines when you have a stroller/wheelchair. That benefit alone might be worth it...seeing is that we are flying during spring break.

Yeah, We don't use at home anymore. We are also very active. She jogs with me and goes on walks at least a mile or so. I'm thinking she would be ok this time. The other factor is that Atlanta airport let's you cut security lines when you have a stroller/wheelchair. That benefit alone might be worth it...seeing is that we are flying during spring break.

:D Now there is an angle I hadn't thought of! We just went through the Orlando airport during Presidents day week and the security lines were terrible. Felt like we were back at Disney World, but without the Fast Pass line.

We didn't have a stroller in Orlando and we still got bumped into the family/people with disabilities line. They said it was because our kids were under 5 yrs. DS2 (3yrs) was strapped to me in the Ergo carrier at the time though :)

:D Now there is an angle I hadn't thought of! We just went through the Orlando airport during Presidents day week and the security lines were terrible. Felt like we were back at Disney World, but without the Fast Pass line.

We had 2 kids with us both under 5 and didn't get sent to a separate line. Probably because pretty much everybody waiting to get through security at MCO had a couple kids wearing mouse ears with them.

We didn't have a stroller in Orlando and we still got bumped into the family/people with disabilities line. They said it was because our kids were under 5 yrs. DS2 (3yrs) was strapped to me in the Ergo carrier at the time though :)

You could be right. I have always brought her with the stroller. I don't know what they would do if she was walking. I just know how long security lines can get. It seems whenever we are on a long line, and we are finally approaching the front, my daughter says the words that strike fear into a parents heart. Moooommmmmmommy I have to go potty. :) Maybe I'll just call the airport and see if we can cut w/o the stroller.

Archived