London Eurostar ques

We are travelling to Europe this summer and I am curious how to get from London Gatwick to the Eurostar train for a day to Paris? :confused:

Thanks.

You can take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station and then a cab to Waterloo Station as that is where the Eurostar train leaves from.I am sure someone will have a more explicit reply.

The first question is: Are you planning to stay overnight at Gatwick and start from there in the morning to go to Paris for the day? Or what are you planning.

The reason is this. My normal advice to anyone who is in London for a short visit and wants to do a "day trip to Paris" is: Please don't. Even if you stay in central London, you are likely to find yourself spending 7 or 8 hours of the day just getting from your accommodation in central London to the first sight you want to see in Paris, and then the return trip from the last thing you see in Paris back to your accommodation in London. That's an entire working day wasted on travel, unless you really want to take the Eurostar for the hell of it. BTW, the tunnel itself is deadly boring - it's 20 minutes in a pitch black tunnel, a bit like being in unlit countryside on a moonless night.

If you are starting from an overnight stay in Gatwick, these problems are compounded by the fact that it will take you an additional 30 to 60 minutes to get to and from the Eurostar station from any hotel near Gatwick. (Additional, that is, over and above what it would take you from a central London hotel.)

However, if you are undaunted, then the second question is this: Are you going to take any baggage with you? If not, then your best bet will be to take a Southern Railways train (not the Gatwick Express, and not the Thameslink) to Clapham Junction. In fact, any train that stops at Clapham Junction will do. When you get there, change to a Waterloo train - any Waterloo train will do, but ideally one that doesn't stop again before it reaches Waterloo. That's likely to be faster and easier than the Gatwick Express plus taxi, but I wouldn't recommend it if you've got any baggage to take with you, particularly during the morning peak.

Thank you for your input. Actually, we are flying into London because of a good deal thru the airline our son works for. Since we have visited London, we want to spend 3 days in Paris before leaving on a cruise from Le Havre. I said a day, but that was wrong, really.

We want to take the Eurostar since we live in West Texas and don't travel by train ever. Thought it might be an adventure, but don't want too much of one.

I couldn't find anywhere on the rail Europe website about which station the train leaves from.

We did the reverse of this last year. We left our cruise ship one day early, took the train into Paris (St. Lazare train Station) and spent the night in Paris. The next afternoon, we took the Eurostar from Gare du Nord train station into London Waterloo (then spent three days in London). People thought we were nuts, but we had a great time. It was very doable and not too much of an adventure at all. We were actually able to see and do alot in Paris in 24hours and for us it was well worth it. In Paris we stayed at the Hotel Concorde Saint-Lazare, it was a great hotel, but pricey (literally right next door to St. Lazare train station). Also if it helps St. Lazare and Gare du Nord stations are only about a mile apart. The scenery we saw on the Eurostar as well as the regular train to Lehavre was spectacular also. Have a great time.

Tammy

From London Gatwick you can take a regular Southern train into Clapham Junction and then change to a South West Trains service into London Waterloo and then just walk along the station concourse and down into the Eurostar terminal.

Since we have visited London, we want to spend 3 days in Paris before leaving on a cruise from Le Havre.
That's a very realistic trip, then.

If you're flying in to Gatwick and then immediately going on to Paris by Eurostar with all you luggage, then you probably are better off taking the Gatwick Express to Victoria and then getting a cab. I strongly recommend not trying to change trains at Clapham Junction with baggage.

May I endorse Globaliser's excellent advice, which is definitely the way to go. 3 nights is great for Paris.

Although it is rather boring Eurostar is a VERY stress-free method of travel and is fast and generally efficient. The first class upgrade is not IMHO worth the cost and I recommend that you buy any food at the station as the train catering is rather poor.We live in a London suburb and would only travel to Paris by Eurostar, as it is so relaxing and comfortable.

Archived