Bamboo Beach Break with Dunn River Falls

bigsmooth

We skipped the falls and just did the Bamboo Beach break a couple of years ago while cruising on Destiny. You'll find more recent info on this if you post your question on the Jaaica port of call board.

Service was good - took a 20 or so minute bus ride to the beach. Nice flat beach with not much wave action - reef was a long swim out. :( Not great snorkeling from the beach. They did have security keeping the peddlers out although a few were able to set up tables.

Food was okay, especially the jerked chicken. Beer and rum punch were flowing at 9:15 in the morning. :D Lots of music and dancing (we were with a bunch of law students from Indiana-- lots of fun, but I'll think twice before hiring a lawyer from IU. :eek:) so you needed to move your chairs if you wanted some quiet time.

The falls tour folks arrived about 11:00 and we partied on until 2:00 or so. Good luck! :)

We visited Bamboo Beach club last November. It was OK. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to rave about either. The one great thing was that there were no vendors hounding you to buy, unlike Ocho Rios. Would I do it again...meh...

We did that same excursion and loved it very much, the hostesses's took care of us the whole way through. Do not miss the Falls, fantastic. the beach is very nice,and the entertainment was also good, with all the drinks, starting from the second you get off the bus you cant go wrong.

My suggestions is to skip the Carnival package that includes Bamboo Beach and do the following: make your own deal with one of the tour guides standing around at the end of the dock. They'll bring you where you want for much cheaper, and the guide we had (Wentworth Tours) was very helpful and looked out for our best interests at each stop. Definitely go to Dunn's River, and afterwards have them drop you off at Mahogany Beach (should cost around $20-25 pp for the bus ride to Dunns/the beach/and then back to port). When they drop you off they'll ask you how many hours you want to be there and then they'll come back and get you. Mahogany Beach is a GREAT hidden gem if you ask me. There is music, foods, DRINKS!, great service (try and get Seymour!) and beautiful water. You'll have to pay a bit ($6 I think) for your beach chair, but drinks are pretty inexpensive, so all in all it should be much cheaper than the Bamboo Beach package. (I've never actually been to Bamboo Beach, but from what we heard from others on our ship that did it, we didn't miss anything!)

Have fun!

Archived