Has anyone done a Food Network cruise?

lovesublime

We're considering the upcoming Oct. 22, 2011 Mediterranean cruise on Silly with chef Anne Burrell. I know that several cruise lines hold these type of cruises with chefs/celebrity chefs from time to time and just wondering if they're really that great? Worth the extra expense? Anyone have any experience with this?

Well, I went on an Alaska cruise about three years ago on Infinity, and I had no idea, but it turned out that Paula Deen was on-board. There were only about 300-400 passengers that had signed up for the Food Network party, and there were only a couple little "get-togethers" with Paula Deen and her entourage. I remember talking to a couple of people in an excursion line who were with the Paula Deen party, and they kind of conveyed that it was a nice change of pace, but probably not worth the extra $$$.

BTW, after about the 2nd day on-board, my wife kept looking for a chance to see Paula anywhere around the ship, but never did. Supposedly, she never mingled with anyone, other than the pre-set times of her little cooking lectures/demos.

But that doesn't mean that Anne Burrelle will act the same way...

Interesting...I have also considered taking a "cooking" cruise, b/c I just love to cook. I also watch the Food Network quite often. It would be fun to do that type of cruise, but also if it cost extra, I would expect a little more personal attention from the celebrated chef. Just a question, did you pay more for the cruise (I gather you didn't realize Paula would be on the cruise) or do those guests who book it solely for the cooking aspect pay more?

Interesting...I have also considered taking a "cooking" cruise, b/c I just love to cook. I also watch the Food Network quite often. It would be fun to do that type of cruise, but also if it cost extra, I would expect a little more personal attention from the celebrated chef. Just a question, did you pay more for the cruise (I gather you didn't realize Paula would be on the cruise) or do those guests who book it solely for the cooking aspect pay more?

From what I understood, you had to book your cruise separately from us "regular" cruisers, if you wanted to be part of Paula Deen's group. We paid the regular amount for the cruise, and the people in her party paid more. I don't know how much more, though.

I looked at this cruise too. It seemed very expensive when compared to the prevailing rates. I have a total girl-crush on Chef Anne, but I can't justify the extra expense.

I've noticed this with other special interest (knitting/spinning) cruises as well. You get to participate in specially planned activities, but you pay a hefty premium for them.

Yes, the cruise is booked separate from the regular cruisers. The cost is nearly double what 'regular cruisers' pay. That's why I'm wondering if the activities are really worth the extra expense? I would feel bad for spending the extra and then coming off the cruise disappointed that there was very little face time or interaction with Anne. We will continue to keep this trip under consideration though.

Yes, the cruise is booked separate from the regular cruisers. The cost is nearly double what 'regular cruisers' pay. That's why I'm wondering if the activities are really worth the extra expense? I would feel bad for spending the extra and then coming off the cruise disappointed that there was very little face time or interaction with Anne. We will continue to keep this trip under consideration though.

Again, I only had second-hand info, but the fellow cruisers I talked to on the Infinity, that were with the Paula Deen group, told me that they had no interaction with her other than the pre-arranged "lesson" time. It's not as if Paula and them had dinner every night, or anything like that. EDIT: now that I think about it, though, maybe Paula Deen didn't interact with the general cruisers on purpose - because she was afraid that the cruisers who paid a lot more money would be upset about it.

Personally, I kind of expected her to come out on stage in the theater for a minute or two to say "hi" to the general cruise passengers, for example, just because there was a celebrity on-board, but that never happened. It was all very "private", it seemed.

And again, this was only the opinions of two fellow cruisers, so I certainly can't speak for the opinions of the majority of those who took the Paula Deen cruise.

EDIT: now that I think about it, though, maybe Paula Deen didn't interact with the general cruisers on purpose - because she was afraid that the cruisers who paid a lot more money would be upset about it.

Personally, I kind of expected her to come out on stage in the theater for a minute or two to say "hi" to the general cruise passengers, for example, just because there was a celebrity on-board, but that never happened. It was all very "private", it seemed.

I think you just answered your own question. Probably the reason the celebrities that are the focus of the specific cruises are very private is that their certain group paid lots of $$$$ to be part of that group and to do something for the general public would take away from the special experience for which her group paid extra.

We were on a sailing that had a group with a celebrity. She was rather low key (she was right down the hall from us and we saw her coming and going a few times) and just seemed to fit in with everyone. She was not acknowledged to the general public anytime on the ship.

We're considering the upcoming Oct. 22, 2011 Mediterranean cruise on Silly with chef Anne Burrell. I know that several cruise lines hold these type of cruises with chefs/celebrity chefs from time to time and just wondering if they're really that great? Worth the extra expense? Anyone have any experience with this?

Interesting that's it's being sold as a Mediterranean cruise - I am on this sailing (NOT part of the Food network) and I'm pretty sure I booked a Transatlantic cruise ;)

By chance, we happened to book a cruise on Holland America with a guest chef on board. He did a few cooking demos in their culinary studio. If memory serves, I think his name was Ian Pengalley (or something similar.) They were OK but not something that I would pay extra to do. It seemed like he really did not want to be there and the meals were really quite basic. I am a "foodie" who loves to cook and if I'm going to pay a premium I want to be dazzled.

Interesting that's it's being sold as a Mediterranean cruise - I am on this sailing (NOT part of the Food network) and I'm pretty sure I booked a Transatlantic cruise ;)

On the Food Network website, it's described as cruising throughout the Mediterranean and crossing the Atlantic. We still haven't decided on this trip yet.

we checked it out but it was way out of line pricewise for a TA!

would also not want to be a ship where there is a special group like that as they will become the main focus of attention...no one likes to feel left out !

• 5 weeks later...

I'll be on this cruise. Totally looking forward to it.

I had dinner prepared by Anne & two of her marvelous chef pals last fall in NYC.

Haven't sailed on Celebrity before, only Princess, RCI & Star Clipper. Also, this will be my first Trans-Atlantic. Hope it lives up to expectations!

We were on the 3/26 Eclipse with Sara Moulton the "Celebrity Chef" or something like that. We didn't pay anythink and didn't even know until it was announced.

She did multiple cooking demos and hosted an "Iron Chef" type production. They also sold an interactive lunch with her (you helped cook) but it was limited at 16, not sure what the price was. Also dinner with her in Murano for $95 each, limited to 10 I think, but included wine.

I was very impressed with her and we did get a chance to speak with her in the elite lounge one evening.

The Food Network cruise (this year with Anne Burrell) is like any other 'specialty' theme cruise (jazz, Harleys, crafting, Star Trekkies, sports, mystery writers, etc) where there are events every day, and much of the ship is filled with like-minded people who book a year in advance. To join in these activities, the cruise is a package deal (often $1000 or more over the regular prices). Yes, there may be other 'regular' pax on board, but they are not admitted to the special events. Often the 'registered' theme guests even eat dinner separately, or as an entire group. These cruises typically have more sea days in order to do all the events, and the cruisers (many of which are first-timers and only on the ship because of the theme) are usually very happy with the experience/opportunities.

Celebrity has begun a new way to 'enrich' some of its cruises with it's "Savor Your Destination" cruises, where a guest chef or winemaker is asked to join the cruise, and is basically just another entertainment option listed on the dailies, and anyone can sign up. It's often initiated by the chef's agent/publicist (not X), in order to sell books or get exposure. The recent Sara Moulton cruise was one of those. The activities are limited, and are listed on X's website: one hands-on class in a kitchen (limit 16)- $35 fee, one dinner (approx 75 ppl) in Murano - $95 fee, a free demo in Celebrity Central theater, and for the usual/traditional chef competition (almost all of the X cruises do this) held in the big theater on the last sea day involving a handful of pax -- in this case that event is joined by or led by the guest chef.

I, too, was on the Sara Moulton cruise, and the interaction was very limited, pretty much only if you did one of the two paid events. X actually announced her name only a few weeks in advance; it was very last minute.

If a 4*fine dining chef or a winemaker was on board, the dinner in Murano is bound to be excellent. Unfortunately, in the case of Sara M -- she is not at all 'fine dining' food, she is all about comfort food and easy meals... which did not translate very well to Murano, nor made it worth the exorbitant $95 fee, even with great service and decent wine. That 95 bucks could have been better spent elsewhere on my cruise.

That said, however, the FN/Anne Burrell cruise ought to be pretty good, as she is very outgoing and approachable/easy-going. That's also why it's a TA, so as to have time for lots more hands-on and in-depth events.

Glad I took the time to read this thread! I consider myself an amateur gourmet cook/Food Network junkie and thought I would love to attend one of these in the future, but it sounds like many of you were underwhelmed.....certainly doesn't make me want to shell out the extra money.

My way of looking at it. If the cruise costs double to participate in a few lectures and a special meal or two, I would rather take the same money and book TWO cruises. Then I could watch the chef on tv when I get home.

When I looked at the price for an inside cabin on the Food Network cruise, it was slightly more than double the price then if I called Celebrity directly.

5 years ago, we did a R/T Hawaii cruise on Summit. And there was a crew from the Food Network, filming an upcoming Wedding Special. Tyler Florence and Giada di Laurentis were onboard. The T.V. crew filmed various parts of the ship for their Special, and the Wedding itself took place on Kona.

The cruise itself was great! With the filming being done onboard, the atmosphere was a lot of fun.

Archived