Things to do on your own in San Fransisco?

Gingee

We will be there overnight on our cruise in May. Would like to see Alcatraz but I don't know what else. Can anyone give me tips on the highlights there and how to get to them from a cruise ship (safely)?

I would see about booking Alcatraz in advance. Many parks in California have limited daily admission, and Alcatraz is probably the most popular. Internet search.

Public transit is good in SF, and fairly available to you at Pier 35. The basic- take the cable car ride for a day. More advanced? Research Muni (the bus service) to take you to the Golden Gate Bridge and walk across. You can see what the weather is before commiting to this. Really advanced? Take Bart (subway) or Caltrain (train service towards San Jose) for a more far ranging adventure.

The SF Giants play a medium distance walk away, in a gorgeous park, but tickets may be tricky after winning the World Series. Something else to arrange in advance.

Being male, I can't, and won't advise on shopping.

go to a museum (there are many here...easy access). take the 38 geary bus from union square to cliff house and back and see the real sf. walk through chinatown and north beach. go see the historic ships at hyde street pier. check out the ww2 submarine at fisherman's wharf.

check out fort point...pre civil war fort (national park service) or go to the presidio and check out the disney museum.

there is so much to do here...and everyone speaks english and are used to tourists. you can take muni buses/trains in day time safely...take cabs at night.

go see a show...

if you want to go to alcatraz, make reservations now!!! it is part of national park service.

I need reservations for Alcatraz now for a mid May visit?

Yes! They do sell out and many tourists are disappointed that can't get on the boat the same day.

From the pier, the Ferry Building is within walking distance or you can take the historic street cars (F Line). Lots of good eats in the building.

If you have never been to the City before, walk in Chinatown and ride the Cable Car to Lombard St. (the crooked street).

You can go to Golden Gate Park for its excellent museums:

http://www.calacademy.org/

http://deyoung.famsf.org/

Take the F Line Streetcar from the port to the Embarcadero Station, then the N Judah (subway downtown, then streetcar in the Sunset).

Public transportation is very easy and reliable. Cabs are readily available too.

I need reservations for Alcatraz now for a mid May visit?

Your ideas are great so far. Keep them coming.

With all due respect, when two people gave the exact same advice about something I know nothing, I am inclined to believe them and not challenge them. This doesn't make me eager to offer more advice to you.

We love San Francisco! Riding the cable cars, visiting Alcatraz and strolling around Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 are not-to-missed. The Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park is also lovely. :)

Say that fast three times!

For the evening you are in S.F., I suggest this hilarious theater show that spoofs current events. We have been twice and will return again in the future. Very FUNNY and not too expensive. Look it up on the net. Located in North Beach, another interesting area to explore and enjoy the garlic aromas of the Italian restaurants.

Boudin's for S.F. sourdough French bread, they make a sourdough bowl with clam chowder , possible lunch/dinner?

Definitely, ride a cable car, there are 3 different routes.

De Young Museum if you're into art. Also in G.G. Park:

California Academy of Sciences if interested in Nature, newly redone and reopened in 2008(?) Check it out on the net. Take N Judah streetcar to get there or the 38 Geary bus.

Cable car museum if you want to see how they operate. FREE the last time I went. Located near Chinatown/North Beach area.

Walk through Chinatown. Grant Avenue is touristy, but Stockton St. is more local flavor. Walk part way on each street to see the difference. Stop by the Fortune Cookie factory to sample and observe the ladies making the cookies.

Too bad you weren't staying longer, could go across the G.G. bridge to Muir woods.

Be sure to dress warmly as the weather can change in a second.

Enjoy the city. It's very walkable. We walk from Market Street through Chinatown to Fisherman's wharf. Or from Market at the Ferry building to Pier 35 when we board for a cruise, and John is 81.

Any more questions?

Joanne

Alcatraz may already be sold out. You usually have to get the tickets a couple months in advance.

Even if you just stay in the area of pier 35 where the ship will most likely dock, you can have a wonderful day walking around pier 39, and the Fishermans wharf area. Behind the Boudin bread place, walking away from pier 39 toward Fisherman's Wharf is the Musee' Anime museum and funhouse. It is totally free entry and houses very old mechanical games and various musical mechanical relics from the 1800's on up through the 40's and 50's. it is a lot of fun history.

Behind the building on the pier, is and old navy war submarine on display. I forget what the name is. but again it costs nothing to get a look at this piece of military history. For great seafood, go toward Fisherman's wharf rather than the really touristy pier 39 fare.

I love all the ideas people are giving us. It's nice to get experience from others. We have never been there but am sure looking forward to it.

You have gotten some terrific advice already. I fell in love with San Francisco on my first visit, and I found some great help from these boards and from this site: http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/ The suggestion of checking out the Muni site is a great one, as my hubby and I made great use of a day passport, which included the cable cars, streetcars and buses. We got all over the city and saw so much in a very short span of time, and had some great stops for meals (the hard part is narrowing down where to eat!). http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

Have a wonderful time!

We will be in San Fransisco for 10 hours (10 AM - 8 PM) in 2012 on the Sapphire Princess. We have never been there before and I know I would love to go to Fisherman's Wharf and Alcatraz. At least we have plenty of time to get tickets! I did notice that the Princess website shows a tour to Alcatraz, so if tickets are sold out and that tour is still open that may be an option.

How far away is Fisherman's Wharf and the ferry dock to Alcatraz from the cruise terminal. Is it a fairly easy walk?

During this next year I will be exploring our options in all of our ports - but I am most excited about SF. In perusing the Princess tour offerings I see an interesting tour to Alcatraz & Sausalito. It is currently a 5.5 hour tour. Assuming it leaves shortly after the ship arrives (I know - never assume, LOL!) would we still have time to go to Fisherman's Wharf on our own? Trolley rides? So much to do - so little time.......

How far away is Fisherman's Wharf and the ferry dock to Alcatraz from the cruise terminal. Is it a fairly easy walk? Pretty close- half a mile, give or take.

During this next year I will be exploring our options in all of our ports - but I am most excited about SF. In perusing the Princess tour offerings I see an interesting tour to Alcatraz & Sausalito. It is currently a 5.5 hour tour. Assuming it leaves shortly after the ship arrives (I know - never assume, LOL!) would we still have time to go to Fisherman's Wharf on our own? Yes. Trolley rides? So much to do - so little time.......

The water front is very user friendly.

living here, I don't understand the attraction of sausalito. it is on the water and has a good view of the city, but it is a collection of cutesy shops and whatever...nothing special. you can take a ferry to there from SF--if you want to save money--then take the ferry back. the ferry building in SF is at least as interesting... the bay model is in sausalito, but it is a long walk from the center of town.

I think there are more interesting things to do in a short time here. you could take a bus to golden gate bridge, or hang out in chinatown or the museums.

alcatraz is super cool--I used to work there....but any time of the year, be sure and take a jacket, as visitors are mostly restricted to the cold side of the island and you are right in the wind tunnel under the golden gate.

even wandering around north beach is more interesting..check out washington park, or coit tower, whatever...have a drink at spec's...near city lights bookstore on columbus.

alcatraz is maybe creepier at night...but you may see the sunset...if the weather is nice. could be rainy and cold. the cell block is a big mostly empty building. it can be cold anytime of day or night.

the headset tour is the standard info given to you as you wander around the cellblock. the rangers also offer short tours on specific topics...like escapes or military history. i think i would get the headset tour for your first visit...I bet most visitors do that.

there is a bookstore above the dock and restrooms on the rock and not much else. most of what you will see was built by the us military. the federal prison was only there just over 30 yrs.

Thanks for the info. I just booked Alcatraz at ten in the morning. Ship is suppose to dock at eight in the morning. Does this allow enough time to get there? Can we walk there quickly?

Thanks for the info. I just booked Alcatraz at ten in the morning. Ship is suppose to dock at eight in the morning. Does this allow enough time to get there? Can we walk there quickly?

As long as your ship docks on time, you will have more than enough time to get there. You may even have enough time to go for a little walk down the waterfront, or just have a leisurely breakfast before disembarking.

We went to SF last year, took our daughter for a 3 day land trip. We did the bus tour around the city, Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf, etc... It's a great city on foot with a little public transportation thrown in ;) You might want to think of plans for your afternoon, Alcatraz really doesn't take more than 3 hours at the most to tour. I think we got off and returned to the city after an hour and a half, you can stay as long as you wish, the return isn't specified and you just take the next available boat back.

We'll be there in May for just a day, I'm thinking about a 3 hour city tour with Mr. Toads tours this time...they go where the buses can't.

Whatever you choose to do, you will have a wonderful trip. And I see you're on the same ship as Lois :) I haven't cruised with her (yet), but met up with her in SD a couple years back, she's so sweet.

Archived