Voyager out of Cape Liberty

Hi.,

Looking for info on the VOS out of Cape Liberty.

Thinking of doing the five night Bermuda run June 06. Researching now and trying to find a good buy for a family cruise. Young twentysomethings and parents.

How far is Cape Liberty from NY We live in Mass and are trying to avoid airfare.

Any input would be great thank you.

Cape Liberty is just over the bridge from Manhattan - maybe 20-30 minutes at most.

Last summer we sailed the Voyager to Canada from Cape Liberty and drove from New Bedford Mass. to the port as we had been visiting family there. We left New Bedford at noon (final boarding was planned for 7PM with sailing scheduled for 10 PM) and arrived at Newark Airport (we had rented a car and needed to return it there) at 5 PM. I must say the traffic was pretty bad that day just before we hit the Conn./New York border and continued to be bumper to bumper all the way to Manhattan and on to the George Washington bridge.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably leave a bit earlier and boarded earlier.

Also, my 25 year old son joined us and absolutely loved the Voyager as he met a number of folks his age and found more than enough to keep him busy. He sailed the Carnival Inspiration with us several month later and though he enjoyed it, the Voyager is his favorite by far.

Hi,

thanks for the info. We live on the Cape so our rides would be about the saame.

We are looking into Carnival because of the cost. We have sailed on the Destiny several years ago and didn't care for it. However, people say that their Spirit class ships and Legend ships are better. We are keeping a open mind.

I know when we have sailed out of NY in the past there have been buses to the port from Boston provided by the cruise line. I wonder if they still do that.

Glad to hear your son of 25 enjoyed VOS our kids are a little younger but legal if you get my drift.

Pat

Patgo, I have a question, if you don't mind. We are thinking of taking the RCL Jewel out of Boston. We will be getting off the NCL Jewel in NY. Is renting a car in NY and driving to the Boston pier a nightmare? How long do you think it would take? We will have one day between the two cruises. Can you suggest some hotels close to the pier?

Thanks

Hi.,

Looking for info on the VOS out of Cape Liberty.

Thinking of doing the five night Bermuda run June 06. Researching now and trying to find a good buy for a family cruise. Young twentysomethings and parents.

How far is Cape Liberty from NY We live in Mass and are trying to avoid airfare.

Any input would be great thank you.

It's near the Newark Airport and the Statue of Liberty. We live in SE CT and can get there in about 2 hours if we don't hit traffic. NYC can be tricky, depending upon what time of day you go. Sometimes it's always tricky. Got to listen to the traffic on the radio and take alternate routes when necessary.

Patgo, I have a question, if you don't mind. We are thinking of taking the RCL Jewel out of Boston. We will be getting off the NCL Jewel in NY. Is renting a car in NY and driving to the Boston pier a nightmare? How long do you think it would take? We will have one day between the two cruises. Can you suggest some hotels close to the pier?

Thanks

Another option is the train. Amtrak offers a high speed Acela train the runs between NYC and Boston in 3 hours. Not sure about the cost, but it is less hassle than driving. I live 2 hours from NYC and 2 hours from Boston. I think driving in Boston is easier than NYC. Where are you getting off in NY? in NYC or in NJ? That can make a big difference in driving time and hassles.

kitty1, thanks for the train suggestion! Would it be possible with all our luggage? We actually would debark at the NYC pier, not NJ.

We have booked the Voyager out of NJ for now. If getting to Boston was not too much of a problem I was thinking of switching to the RCL Jewel as I like the itinerary better.

Plus it would be cool to do a back to back on two different Jewels!

Hi,

thanks for the info. We live on the Cape so our rides would be about the saame.

I know when we have sailed out of NY in the past there have been buses to the port from Boston provided by the cruise line. I wonder if they still do that.

Pat

Hi Pat -

There are indeed buses provided by RCL from Boston. They are $60 a head, but are very nice coaches. Once the bags are on the bus in South Station, your vacation begins! Better than driving in that regard.

We took the RCL bus from South Station to Bayonne for last fall's VOS to the carribbean (family of four).

You can call RCCL to book the bus if that was where you booked. If you went through a TA they can arrange it.

There used to be a PDF on the RCCL site about the Bayonne port, and that included info about the buses. I don't think it is on their site anymore -- or it is too buried to find. RCCL doesn't do technology well, just cruising ;)

I have the PDF on my site if you'd like to download it...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze77uo0/

Thanks,

jim

Are there RCCL busses from LI to Boston if we wanted to cruise from that port & if so can you get them a day ahead??? The Enchantment itin looks great but a hassle to get from LI to Boston with luggage anyway you look at it!

kitty1, thanks for the train suggestion! Would it be possible with all our luggage? We actually would debark at the NYC pier, not NJ.

We have booked the Voyager out of NJ for now. If getting to Boston was not too much of a problem I was thinking of switching to the RCL Jewel as I like the itinerary better.

Plus it would be cool to do a back to back on two different Jewels!

The train would probably be the fastest way to get to Boston except for flying. There are also buses like some of the other posts suggest. RCI may even have a shuttle from NYC to Boston. We always take the train from CT to NYC. It's so easy to take the train. You should not have a problem with your luggage. They will just take the big stuff and store it in the front compartment. The smaller stuff will fit in the overheads. Amtrak has several trains from NYC to Boston, but be careful which ones you book because some stop at every town between NYC and Boston, others are express trains. The Amtrak station is at Penn Station underneath Madison Square Garden.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Glad there is a bus to the port.

Sally there are many hotels in Boston. They are all a easy cab ride to the port. They are also going to be expensive.

How nice to be doing two cruises. I am jealous.

To anyone who has done the five day to Bermuda on the VOS does it seem too short.

I guess there are other destinations that leave from N>J> also. Bermuda is still expensve even without the airfare.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

thanks,

Pat

Archived