All things EARTH...

We didn't talk beforehand, but this is how my sister and I showed up for breakfast at my parents' on Christmas morning:

twins2.jpg

This is not the first time we have shown up from opposite coasts in similar outfits. One time we were even in the exact same shirt, albeit different colors!

She's a classic Snow White, with black hair (originally) and clear blue eyes.

Margaret, I love that earth red on you! I'm very partial to red in general, but I do love that color. What I love about tops such as these is that you can do a lot with them. Add a scarf or a neckace, or a sweater, or just wear them alone. The scoop neck is very flattering on you. Based on your description of your sister, she sounds like an ice. It's funny how the two of you show up wearing such similar outfits!

I am getting so excited about my cruise right now. I am starting to coordinate the accessories with the outfits.

I am going to try and pair some up and get pictures posted. I ordered two scarves that could go easily with the gold v neck/light denim skort outfit.

The green skirt and champagne top.....I have the perfect necklace and earings for it, and it's gold based so I think it really gives the outfit a bit of warmth near the face, which it needs.

I found the perfect scarf for the peach top/coral skirt, but it is too cool overall. I'm going to try and tea stain it. If not, I think I will opt for a statement necklace of sorts. With the tonal look that is going on, I think it will give it a bit more interest.

I've still got my eye on a necklace from Etsy that I love. I tend to justify my varied wardrobe and accessories by finding very good deals. This is a link to the necklace:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/96564139/bronze-beauty-pendant-necklace-long?ref=usr_faveitems

This is another consideration:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92366429/steampunk-clock-pendant-necklace-on-long?ref=usr_faveitems

They are both handmade. I have a crocheted tank that is a lovely tea stained color, and I have warm purple shorts. I think one of these would look really cute with it!

Laurie, those necklaces are so cool. I like the second one with the amber drop best, I have to say.

I'm daydreaming about summer! Look at the lovely color of this swimsuit:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dkny-swimsuit-halter-shirred-swim-dress?ID=757692&CategoryID=8699#fn=SWIM_STYLE%3DOne Piece%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D94%26ruleId%3D58%26slotId%3D12

I like this one too, from Soma:

570070953_959.jpg

I haven't even seen any snow yet, but I'm ready for winter to be over!

The swimsuit from Macy's has a retro feel to it, and the color is wonderful. I love the colors on the Soma bathing suit too. Have you ever wondered why they saturate the market with black bathing suits? Even before I knew about colors I've wondered why there seems to be such a gamut of black bathing suits. Maybe it's because bathing suits really expose your body shape - flaws and all. Then they tell us how "slimming" black is. So it must be subliminal, maybe? Dark brown and navy can do the same thing. Really though, my gut tells me that I am what I am.

I was thinking about all those black bathing suits yesterday. So many that have a nice cut for larger ladies only come in black. Black is hot, and it doesn't actually make you look smaller. I actually prefer a bit of pattern in mine, and if I can find one to match my waterski I'm even happier!

I'm looking forward to being smaller next summer so I have more options. I just wish they made more suits with built-in bras that were simple one piece suits and not skirted or tankini types, or, yikes, bikinis.

This morning I woke up to water coming through my bathroom ceiling from the condo upstairs! I'm trapped at home while they rip my ceiling out so they can fix the pipe. I just downloaded some books from the library so I think I'll knock off the chores for a while and READ. :)

I didn't get a December Vogue, but here's a taste of spring from Glamour. I love paisley, and blue and orange together too, so I think I'll have to keep my eye out for something fun:

paisley01_zps6a61dd07.jpg

paisley02_zps5abd2bc4.jpg

These are pretty suits, but not practical for my job and I don't wear suits elsewhere. That peachy/pink one in the middle is pretty though:

pastelsuits_zpse194e09b.jpg

You know what is odd about suits? They are perfect for my job and my role, except I find them uncomfortable to work in. Really, they just aren't my favorite thing to wear. Right now, I have such a rough time getting them to fit properly. There is a two size difference between my top and bottom too. Curt says to get the jackets big, and then have them tailored. I agree with that fully, but I've held off for a few reasons.

One, I can't really find any in earth colors right now. Secondly, I want to see where my weight is at. I am losing very, very slowly, so I would imagine that if I had a jacket tailored, it would fit for a quite a while before it would need to be taken in. Of course, my weight loss in in the hip area more than anything, so things fit a bit different. The waist and bustline are about the same.

I do enjoy those pops of color. Sometimes, me and prints don't get along too well. If wear a solid, I love some fun jewelry and to add color through accessories, such as the purse and shoes in the picture you posted.

I love paisley. It would be nice to see some things in paisley!

With less than a month to go, I am definitely thinking about my cruise all the time! I've made a lot of mental notes about the outfits I'm bringing.

I took a few pictures, but they aren't the best. I do hope that you can see some detail. I had a few things out and about in my room and decided to place the items on my bed for pictures, and those come out rather so so.

Here we go:

Remember the champagne top with the green skirt? I found this neclace and it just seems to be the right thing to wear with that outfit. Part of the reason is that it is more or less shell pieces, which make me think of a nice tropical beach. The other reason is that it had champagne and warmer colors in the shells, with a goldtone chain.

IMG_1400.jpg

I am still debating about the coral skirt and peach top outfit. I'm definitely bringing it, but I really need to see if I can tea stain the scarf a bit more. If not, I love this neckace with the outfit:

IMG_1404.jpg

I found this necklace yesterday in Dressbarn, and it was on clearance. On top of that, my daughter works there and gets a discount. This was a whole $4.00.

IMG_1405.jpg To put it in perspective more, I'm wearing this outfit as a whole. The shorts are a bit more fire than earth, but as we've often said, it's not next to my face:

IMG_1406.jpg

Last but not least, here is one of the scarves I plan on taking. This was from Sam Moon, and I think it was $8.00. The colors are very vibrant, and all warm. I would say it's 50% fire, 50% earth. I just love it with this outfit though.

IMG_1408.jpg

I am telling myself it's too early to pack, and it is. My clothing all needs to be ironed up, and packed at last minute as carefully as possible. I have a lot of other things paired up as well. The main thing I haven't finalized is shoes for these day to day outfits. My plan is to get all the outfits laid out on my bed about 2 weeks from now. I will place the jewerly, scarf, etc. with each. I will then pick sandals for each. The goal is to bring the gold formal sandals to go with my dinner outfits almost every night, and then the cork wedges for a few nights where the dresses are more casual. Then, for daytime, I plan to only bring two pair, although I may sneak in a third pair.

It's a 7 day cruise. I have a dress for each night, plus one daytime outfit for each day. I plan to bring a few extra shirts (lightweight) just in case. Then I have a pair of caramel ankle pants and one other pair of casual pants for after dinner, as I often get chilly. I have some short sleeved tops to bring, and then some sort of lightweight sweater.

Do you think I am overdoing it?

Laurie, I love all your combos and your jewelry is fab. I like how bright and cheery the outfit with the scarf is, it says to me VACATION!! WooHoo!

I also really like the new necklace with the lace top. Sometimes I think lace tops can come across as a bit too sweet, but the necklace adds a nice edge of sophistication. And with the purple shorts, it says fun and edgy but still adult. A nice balance that is difficult to achieve -- snaps to you.

Your champagne top and necklace made me laugh. I will have to take a picture of mine and send it to you and then you'll know why. Outfit twins.

Still lovin' the tonal thing you got going with the coral set.

I'm so excited for you, with your trip coming up so soon! You're going to have so much fun! And look MAHvelous!

Thanks, Margaret. With my daytime shorts, tops, skirts and sandals, they are all pretty much things I wore this summer. A few things were endo of season buys in the fall. I've also gotten some great deals on jewelry and accessories to go with some things, such as my $4.00 necklace that you see with the lace shirt. :D

I know what you mean about the lace shirt. I was looking for something with a certain feel toat would work with the lace, without adding frilliness to it. Frilliness...is that a word??

I wear necklaces almost every single day, so I will get a lot of use out of everything.

My dresses are mostly new, I admit. But most of them are all great deals, that were the right style and color. It's hard to get all those things rolled into one. I'm trying hard to be a good shopper.

Hey Laurie and Margaret! And everyone else too! I've been MIA on this board for a while because I just don't have much to say!

Laurie! I'm so excited for you! Your cruise is so close. Your accessories look fabulous. I'm almost jealous that you can deal with those necklaces. I have been attracted to that in the past...but whenever I put them on, it just doesn't feel right for me. I'm really looking forward to your Pictodiary and seeing all your fabulous planning in action!

Unfortunately, we have canceled our cruise plans for this year. :( Ah well...it's fine. But now that makes us even MORE interested in living vicariously through you!

Hi Anita! It's good to hear from you. I was hoping everything was okay with you.

I am really enjoying this whole process. I guess I do have a bit of a necklace fetish, lol. Some of my work clothes...okay, most of my work clothes tend to feel blah to me. I really like adding something to give my outfit a little something extra. I am starting to wear more rings and bracelets too. I have a lot of trouble with earrings, so I can't wear them every day. I still try to wear them a few days a week.

The first time I tried on the gold dress, I absolutely loved it. When I tried it on the second time, I still loved it, but realized that the shoulders need to come up quite a bit. When I pinned it, I realized that dress laid so much better, but it was now a bit big in a few spots. So, that will definitely be tailored a bit for the next cruise. When I held the dress by the back, I couldn't believe how much better it looked. I'm super excited to get that dress ready for the next cruise. I have a favorite tailor I use, and she is everyone's favorite tailor. Favorite tailor = busy tailor, if you know what I mean. She would have been put on the spot to try and get it done for this cruise, and I've gotten a bit busy too.

I am hoping that time allows this weekend for me to lay all my outfits out on the bed, and just finish putting things together. I don't need to keep them out or pack them, but I just want to visually see what sandals, jewelry, etc. works with each outfit.

I really enjoy the whole process, and shopping the closet (and jewelry box) is a whole lot of fun. I recently moved some things around in the closet. As silly as it seems, I have the shirts organized by sleeve length. They are then organized by color. I started thinking about a few things I wanted to bring with me or maybe another option for a shirt I wasn't thrilled with and so forth. It also feels good to be organized.

My husband already knows that we need to take a ton of pictures!

Laurie...

You know that I have never had anything tailored? Maybe my wedding dress was... As we become more picky about clothing though, it makes so much sense to deal more with alterations when it can be so difficult to find good colors and fabrics. This is one reason why I personally want to work more on my sewing skills. Since I don't work outside the house, I should have time enough for doing some alterations when it is necessary.

I'm thinking of your process and how you can have such fun with this. You know I have always lived in a climate where the clothes I wear on a regular basis form the majority of my vacation wardrobe. I've never been able to set aside my vacation clothing in the way I am imagining you are able. I am always struggling to get laundry done and somehow trying to figure out what I am taking while the clothes I want to take are in various states of cleanliness!

I normally travel in warmer weather though too. I've never had a winter vacation like you are going on. In fact, for the longest time, I've always thought of February as the first spring month. Normally, I could be in shorts in February. Not now though...Georgia is so much colder than what I am used to. And the quality of the cold is different. DH and I feel like wimps...we've lived in colder places, but never minded the cold as much as this past winter. We are so sick of it already.

And I don't think your closet organization is silly at all. My closet is organized exactly the same way. Sorted by sleeve length and style (for DH...like long sleeved knit shirts v. button down shirts...or polos v. button down short sleeve shirts) and hung in the order of the rainbow. Athletic shirts separate from work shirts separate from non-work shirts. I never really had it quite so organized as a child/teen, but I saw my good friends' closet in college and she was organized this way...and it was like a light bulb for me. I LOVE my organized closet. I can't believe everyone doesn't do it. LOL.

You know, the only thing I've actually had tailored was a formal dress. I sew also, although I don't have a serger. I am bringing along on my cruise shorts and skirts for daytime wear, and most of them were all hemmed. I have found that the ideal length is a bit shorter than what I was wearing. I figured why not just hem them up? So, when you go back a few pages and see the brown or khaki shorts or the coral skirt and a few other things, those were all hemmed.

The lace shirt was shortened. It was pretty long, and as much as I loved it, a picture is worth a 1000 words, and I did not like how I looked! There is an orange shirt in those pictures, I took that up at the shoulders and on the sides.

I am more particular than I used to be, but my biggest problem is that my proportions are hard to fit. I have few blazer or suit jackets, for this reason. It pains me to spend all that money, and have them not fit right. Lined jackets are the last thing I want to tailor...it's quite a task, taking the whole thing apart!

Here in Central New York, we truly get 4 distinctly different seasons. We had a lot of hot weather this summer in the lower 90 degree range. Today, it's 22. A few weeks back, we had about a foot and half of snow.

As a result I definitely have a variety of clothing. To compound all that, my work clothes are just not the thing to wear on a weekend or after I get home.

I love my formal night dresses, but otherwise, everything is worn at other times, not just on cruises. I will say that the dresses I'm taking were mostly chosen with the cruise in mind, but will be worn whenever I need a nice dress.

This is the first time I've traveled during the winter. I'm actually apprehensive, but thankful I'm flying down to Florida a day ahead. Getting out of Syracuse in February is anyone's guess from a weather perspective! You just never know. My first two cruises were in August because my daughters were in school. I had to time it at the beginning of August, because one was in college and one was in high school. We went to Niagara Falls the following year, which is a driving trip for us. For some reason, I can't remember what month it was, lol. I think July.

The next cruise was scheduled in May after my daughter finished up the year at college. This past year, it was just my husband and I, and we went to the Grand Canyon. We went in later May, which we thought would be ideal weather wise, and it was.

This cruise took a lot of thought. We figured if it was just us, we could go when we wanted. We were thinking that non summer months would be less crowded, and we wanted to avoid hurricane season. It should be fun to see how I feel about cruising this time of year.

I love to travel in winter, it's great to get away from the cold, snow, and gray skies. We actually avoid summer travel since we save our summer weekends for the lake, and there are only so many of them so we hoard them. DH used to have an annual conference in Scottsdale AZ so between Florida for Christmas and a week in Scottsdale in February I was very spoiled with warm weather travel in the winter. Also, when I had my own company I could take off with him much easier. Now I'm tied to the college calendar. He goes somewhere in Florida every October, and this year I missed getting to go to Miami Beach. :(

Many people here, because we live in small apartments, keep their off-season clothes in storage somewhere. But, since we've always traveled 3-4 times a year between family, business, and vacation I never put my summer clothes and shoes away. At most I'll rotate my boots or sandals to the back of the closet where they're harder to reach, but that's about it.

I keep my clothes in a rainbow too. Within a color I go tanks, short sleeve, long sleeve, sweater, jacket and I mix them together a lot depending on the weather. In the rack below my pants and skirts are in a matching rainbow. I've done it since high school when I read about it in a magazine article. I showed it off I was so proud of myself, and my sister just thought I was nuts! I keep my dresses, the very few that I have, in a separate closet and they just go by season.

Laurie, we get 4 seasons too, but spring and fall only seem to last 2 weeks. We go from very cold to very hot rather quickly.

I've been thinking a bit, because I am not the type of person to buy special close all for just cruising. Today, I got out all my dresses. I have 4 dresses that I knew for sure I was bringing, and then there were two formal night dresses. There was that issue with the rust colored dress, and not being overly keen, on it, as you may recall.

I tried on my dresses, because one of my daughters hasn't seen a few of them on. She isn't too fond of the rust colored dress either. She pointed to my closet, and ask me about two other dresses I have. One is a maxi dress that is really, really pretty, and I wore it a few times this summer. However, there's a lot of dress...too much of it. She convinced me to make it into a short dress. After seeing it in a few pictures, and then having it on again today, I knew I'd either hem it or donate it. We shall see how that comes out!

However, the other dress she pointed to reminded me of a fun version of that purple dress I posted a few pages back. It's chocolate brown, has the cross over styling and a ruffle. There are a few differences though. It has an elastic waist, and the ruffle is just on the bottom of the dress. It is a cold shoulder style, and it is a bit shorter than the purple dress. Once I put it on, it seemed like an automatic dress to take.

Spring and fall are my two favorite seasons, so they never seem long enough to me. But they are pretty distinct. It was 16 degrees when I went to work yesterday, and 42 degrees when I went to get my hair cut this morning. It's supposed to snow tomorrow. Sigh...

I'm very happy that I finally found some brown pants for work. They are very simple and streamlined, and reasonable too. The only drawback is no pockets. But, great color! They are JM Collection Magic Slimming Pant from Macys in Chocolate.

Sorry for the bad photo but DH is on the computer and I'm not good with my tablet yet.

Screenshot_2013-01-20-17-29-27.jpg.25442972d17250852b0dcfc98ac87e23.jpg

I will have to check those out! You may recall I ended up getting a navy suit not too long about because I could not find a suit in an earth color, and needed one in a hurry. The navy suit is actually great as far as the fit goes.

It makes me mad that I didn't get the brown suit while it was available. It was at Macy's online, and I didn't act fast enough. The navy suit I ended up with was at Macy's. Maybe if I keep checking, I will be able to get an actual suit. That would be great.

I generally avoid suits, because they aren't my favorite thing, and they generally fit pretty bad. I do need to get a few for work though. I don't have to wear one every day, I can get away with dress pants and other jackets and very nice sweaters.

Laurie, I was thinking about you and your brown suit when I went shopping on Sunday. I found the perfect pair of brown pants for my mother, and even though her birthday isn't for several months, I bought them thinking that when the time came I probably wouldn't find them again.

Saw this beautiful swimsuit, but even though the color is Tomato, as soon as I tried it on I knew it was FIRE:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/brands/liz-claiborne/women/liz-claiborne-crossover-one-piece-swimsuit/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002250592&catId=cat100250101&deptId=dept20000013&N=100260336 224&extDim=true&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=one+pieces&dimCombo=Categories%7CBrand%7C&dimComboVal=one+pieces%7Cliz+claiborne%7C&currentDim=Brand&currentDimVal=liz+claiborne

There's nothing like trying on bathing suits to help you stick to your diet. :)

That is a wonderful red. I must admit I'd be tempted to wear it because it's warm toned. I have been fortunate, and I have two swimsuits. Onle is a wonderful medium toned olive green, and the other is brown. Now, there are a few other swimsuits in the drawer, but they aren't earthy. I was wondering today why I still have them. We aren't huge swimmers, but we do like the hot tubs and what not. Since our upcoming cruise is 7 days, I wondered if I should take one more, just in case. I'm still undecided.

I have an overwhelming desire to pack now, but I have to keep myself from doing it. I am thinking that next weekend I will be one week out, and then I can press everything to have it ready to pack. I will pack things that I don't have to worry about such as sandals, swimwear and PJs. I will wait to past the rest a few days out, but I plan to have them all ready to go.

I had my green dress hemmed. I would have done it myself, but the chiffon had a fine rolled hem, and I couldn't do that on my existing sewing machine. The person I like to bring things to has been extremely busy, so she's had it a while, knowing that I wasn't cruising until February. The furnace for her shop was on the blink, so I picked it up and left. When I got home, I tried it on. It's still too long in front. My daughter had dropped it off and it was pinned, and she was supposed to tell her that I didn't want the train anymore. Oops...

Well, I will have to be careful walking, and pick it up at times to keep from stepping on the front. With the train, it really does look beautiful, so I guess I will see how I do.

I think it's moved down a bit, which may be partly to blame for it being long. I haven't lost much weight since I last had it on, but those couple of pounds must have been enough to make a difference. It is still my favorite dress by far!

Remember the ivory lace dress? I tried putting a few mini princess seams in it. It looks much better, but it still doesn't do a thing for me. That is okay, I kind of thought I wouldn't be bringing it anyway.

Wow, Laurie, I'm so excited for you and your cruise! Just a reminder...losing weight is one thing, but losing inches is another and it's entirely possible that you have lost more inches that your current weight would suggest. I can say from the opposite viewpoint that I have absolutely amazed at the inches I have gained relative to weight gain...and the resulting difference in my clothing. There fore, I totally believe that the length that may have worked before would be just a bit too long now.

I can't wait to see your Pictodiary!! Be sure and take pictures because we all want to see.

Side Note...

Anita, when you have a moment, please check your email!

:D

Woohoo; Curt's here!

Hi, All--

Been really really busy since Nov. My Mom was seriously ill, so I basically moved in with her for weeks. She's much better now, but I'm WAY behind on work & life.

Guess what? My earth DD is engaged! Looks like I have another MOB "gig" in June 2014 :) Will definitely want to work with Curt again. No idea how I'll be able to top the gold ensemble from DD #1's wedding.

LOVED the Christmas card pics! Your princess is growing into a lovely young lady(way too fast)!

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr

So...I'm just going to jump right in...I've been reading along but haven't had the time or energy to chime in lately. Been really enjoying reading along and admiring all the pics.

My sweet DH surprised me by planning a weekend in Québec City for winter Carnaval in à couple of weeks. It's "driving distance" for us. We have relatives and business with a cousin in Québec province, so will combine work/family/pleasure into a 4 day weekend. Will drive the 4 hrs from home to MIL's in Maine on a Thirs night. Sleeping over. Bringing MIL on 4 hr drive to stsy with family in small town in Canada. We will then continue another 1+ hour to Quebec City for 2 nights. Meeting up with cousins in Quebec City for dinner. Will then reverse the trip on the way home, including business on Monday before we drive MIL back to Maine.

There is actually a clothing/fashion issue in all this. It is EXTREMELY cold in Quebec City during winter Carnaval, and we will be outdoors for extended periods. It was very difficult to find "warmest" ski parka & accessories in earth-flattering colors, but I finally had some success.

Here's the only parka that I could find that works for me:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64946?feat=sr&term=Deep%20Teal%20Large%20Rugged%20Ridge%20Parka%20Misses%20Regular L61707_Deep_Teal.jpg

It's a dark teal. Only thing I don't like about it is the black hood/collar lining. It fits well with my layers and is nice a warm (temp wise). I think the color is really flattering on my, although I'm not a great judge of whether it's truly earth.

I wore the new parka into REI on Friday and found a great, Earthy hat that coordinates GREAT with it, even though the color looks too blue in photo:

e206c578-ae2a-4168-933c-e9f4d2bc88d8.jpg sorry for the HUGE photo. I'm on my iPad and can't figure out how to easily post photos.

I also found this great (brighter) teal sweater which works as a layer immediately under the parka:

I did end up with "natural" color silk underwear, which is almost white. It was slightly less cool than black. I ended up with black ski mittens and a neck gator.

Boy was it rough finding warm outerwear that isn't Ice! I think the sweater might be one that leans towards Fire, but it seems to work for me.

Better post this before I lose part of it again. Time to get some sleep.

Jane

Hi Curt! Hi Anita! Hi Jane! :D It's good to see you all on this thread.

Anita, you are right about the losing inches thing. I have noticed that some of my pants are looser, and both my husband and daughters thought the dress had moved down a bit.

I plan to take lots of pictures. I've never been one to think that my husband and I need matching outfits. Typically though, when he wears a tie, he tries to find something tocoordinate with what I'm wearing. We just try not to clash too much, since he is a summer.

Jane, Sometimes I find that neccessity wins out over style, but that doesn't mean I don't try. I see you have the same mode of thinking. Outerwear is so ice based sometimes. That teal looks great in the pictures you've posted. That is one color I really have to get my cards out for, because I often find that a color can look different in the store than in regular lighting. I have the same issue with red sometimes. I love keeping my color cards with me!

I was getting antsy about the cruise, but since it's too early to pack, I started ironing. Everything. Even knit tops that weren't wrinkled, lol. During the week, I will make sure my dresses are ready to go. I did get out my swimsuits and pajamas though.

It's a bit different, since it was 9 degrees here yesterday. I may need to go through some of the summer clothing I packed away, but I think I pretty much left everything out that is going with the cruise in mind.

The ivory lace dress is definitely staying home. The darts helped, but the length is a little too short for my leg shape, it hangs a bit funny through the hips, and has the wrong neckline.

I sure with the gold dress was ready! But I just didn't have enought time to get everything done that it needs. It will be ready for the next cruise though.

We are thinking of bypassing a summer mini vacation, and doing a family cruise with our daughters in May of 2014. They would love to go on Oasis or Allure!