All things EARTH...

I'd love a geometric sheath for spring! If I find one in EARTH colors, I'll be tempted:

sheaths.jpg

I love this outfit, and I keep seeing different variations of this ad where they change out the handbag:

geometric.jpg

Margaret, I agree with Jane...that outfit the model is wearing is fun! I love the dress shoes and purse...

The pattern is geometric, but is almost a take on the color blocking trend. I think that color blocking looks classic, interesting and polished, but since they are ruled by black, I guess they aren't for us earth lady!

Anita, it sounds like you need to stock up on winter clothing! I have lived in this general area my whole life, and I'm still not used to the cold. Just this morning, my husband said he's had enough and he wants the snow to melt and the temperature to go up. Although I get hot flashes, the winter cold tames them completely. I am wearing a cami, 3/4 sleeve shirt, jeans, infinity scarf, sweater and blanket while I type this.

This is completely off topic, but when we had to reroute to the Rochester airport for our cruise, it was the day after the snowstorm. The sky was blue and the sun was shining. The thruway was nice and clear. That blanket of fresh snow any everything was just gorgeous. Maybe I only liked it that much that day because I was delirious with thoughts of my vacation! :D

I'm seeing a lot of these two colors in the stores. I'm pretty good at spotting a good pink, it actually has to be peachy to look at all good on me. But, I find the corals are really difficult (unless they're really into the orange spectrum) and I just have to try them on to tell.

peach.jpg

coral.jpg

I'm loving the jewelry trend of turquoise with gold. We EARTH ladies have to stock up on it now while we can!

I'm lurking on the FIRE thread, waiting for those Africa pictures to appear. Since we don't have a cruise planned for this year, we have to live vicariously for a while.

Margaret, I find that I an wear almost any shade of coral, but peach tones? Hm....as Anita says, I look better in saturated colors. I wore a peach shirt with a coral skirt on the cruise, and I really liked my outfit.

One of the big things I'm seeing right now is a soft shaded lace over a another colored fabric. It can be really tricky. My daughter fell in love with a dress that was peach, with a beigy lace over the top. I love it, but since she is a spring, I felt like it seemed muted for her.

Incidentally, we were in a very popular prom dress store, at prime prom dress shopping time! There were so many dresses that it can be overwhelming. My daughters told the sales person that they were window shopping for cruise dresses for formal night, but didn't want to look like they were going to the prom. I am wondering if during their "off" season, they may have more cruise like attire, and some things that may interest me. They did have a nice selection for my daughters. There was one dress that caught my attention but it had two issues - wrong neckline (I need a scoop or v neck) and too light of a color on top. The bottom was a beautiful teal, but I just didn't think I could make the color combination work.

Margaret, I fully agree about grabbing something while it's available. There seems to be a lot more gold jewelry right now. Since I'm a big jewelry fan, I love to see the choices. this prom store had a huge selection of jewelry for formal dresses, by the way, and lots of goldtone!

Margaret, I find that I an wear almost any shade of coral, but peach tones? Hm....as Anita says, I look better in saturated colors.

I'm exactly like you, in that regard :)

I also do well with shades of teal.

Jane

Margaret, I find that I an wear almost any shade of coral, but peach tones? Hm....as Anita says, I look better in saturated colors.

I agree with you both, I like more color too. But, I have a brown vest and a brown scarf that have a little pink in them, and I had a peachy long sleeved T for underneath that is now too big (major cleavage:eek:) that I'd like to replace. By itself it's too bland for me, but with the brown it's a nice change from ivory.

I'm packing for a long weekend in Florida, and none of my summer staples really fit anymore (giant bag for Goodwill in the corner). It's hard to find tops and bottoms that work. I'm pulling out old stuff that I don't know why I even kept, trying to make it work because I don't have time to shop. We'll be going out to dinner and brunch so I can't just do jeans and tshirts. I feel like I'm back to square one, with a full closet and nothing to wear!

Margaret, I hope you are enjoying your long weekend. When you get back, I'd love to hear about where you stayed and what you did. I am always on the lookout for different ideas.

I do agree about lighter tones as accents for me. What I was thinking when I made my post was a whole outfit or dress in a lighter shade. I wear lots of light colored shirts....I thrive on variety. I have been very focused lately on finding certain earth shades that elude me, such as some of the blues, purples, teals and reds. The last two, teal and red, should be easy but I have an issue that when I get home they look different than they did in the store!

My daughters have been looking around a lot at clothes for the warmer weather coming up, also keeping in mind that they will want to bring some of these things on our cruise in May of 2014. It is a long time away, but they will not be able to find any warm weather clothes from about October 1st until April 1st, so it will be good to keep in mind.

My older daughter found the cutest dress in Dressbarn, and she will wear this a lot, long before going on the cruise. She is a fire:

lacedress_zps111ef761.jpg

She is petite, and from a shape perspective, I would say a pear, in that she is very tiny on top. She carries her weight in her thighs and behind, but she is still quite tiny overall. This style works great for her. The dress is a warm ecru lace over a very orangy fire red.

That dress is so cute, it sounds like it will look great on her. That's one of those dress up/dress down styles that are so versatile.

I agree with you about the colors looking different in the stores. Flourescent lighting does terrible things to colors. I can't tell you how many times I've bought makeup or nail polish and then hated it on me. I think teal is particularly hard because there is such a fine line between muted and saturated with that color. I find red and purple are a bit easier for me to see.

We had a nice time in Florida, but it was really a family visit and not much of what I think of as Florida vacation time. Due to the high surf and riptides the beach was closed, and DH's cousin's pool happened to be very windy, so no swimming (which I love). I tried in advance to find a Zumba class but the nearest one was 20 minutes away and we didn't have a car. So, I got up early and went for a walk every morning, and the rest of the time we just spent eating and visiting, and a little shopping. Maybe a few too many vodka sours ;). I am neither elegant nor affluent enough to be truly comfortable in Palm Beach, though we did have a relaxing time all that aside. Truthfully I prefer the west coast with its more laid back vibe and the flat beaches where you can walk for miles. Palm Beach has the Lake Trail which is great for walking and biking, and if we go next year I'm definitely renting a bike one morning so I can take a long, long ride.

I had a devil of a time putting together some outfits to bring since I haven't done any warm weather shopping yet. I did fit into a barely worn old pair of navy pants that were the base of my wardrobe, but those cute mushroom ankle pants from our Australia trip need some tailoring before I can wear them again. I seem to have lost some of my a$$ and everything has flaps on the side like I'm wearing chaps -- time for the sewing machine to come out again. Not that I'm complaining! I have been good about keeping my work wardrobe presentable, but my casual clothes are a disaster, especially in the pants/capris/shorts area. Also, I'm finding I hate the volume in my tops that are too big, partly because they hide my weight loss, and partly because it looks like I'm wearing someone else's clothes at this point. Two of the shirts I brought along are going in the Goodwill pile now. I'd rather have fewer things and be happy with what I'm wearing.

I did take my nude platform pumps, and boy do I love wearing those! Such great travel shoes, they go with everything and seem to work for any time of year.

I'm looking for red tops and bottoms for spring, so if anyone spots any good candidates, LMK! I did find a beautiful red maxi dress at Marshall's which I'm going to take in and have shortened since I don't wear maxi dresses, they look terrible on me.

Margaret, I found a few basic knit tops in Target last week. I know the purple is right, which is a rarity for me. It's nice and muted. The red? Well....it looks different at home than in the store! I'm going to try it on, and have my daughter take a picture of me wearing it in the kitchen. I find the lighting in there to be fairly good. Also, if I wear a non earthy color in there, it tends to really stand out, since my kitchen is earthy.

I agree about the nude pumps, they do go with almost anything. Unfortunately, mine seem too big in the back and even with those inserts, they keep coming off. I think it will be a worthwhile investment though to buy a new pair so I'm going to watch for deals. My daughter has a pair, and she plans to bring them with her on the cruise. She is going to wear them with that dress I posted.

I too have that issue with maxi dresses. I have some, and love them, but when I realized what I looked like in a picture, well, I changed my mind. I have shortened one so far, and have two others I will hem up as well. I look like I'm 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide in them, it's just awful. It's funny how I wasn't really seeing that in the mirror, but caught it in pictures.

I start spring break next week, so I'll have to check out Target and Kohl's. Yesterday I bought a cute tshirt at Costco, it's light pink with that flat ruffle detail across the front, and I know when I tea stain it that it will be the perfect peach color I was looking for.

I noticed in Vogue that they're showing a lot of pointy toe pumps with skinny jeans. I have to say my feet are not happy to see those come back.

I love the brown dress on the right. The champagne outfit on the left is cute too, but so many of the tank styles have high necklines this year:

Ferretti.jpg

Marchesa is known for scrumptious wedding gowns, but they're expanding their evening wear collection -- so beautiful:

marchesa.jpg

I wish this cold weather would stop already. I want to shop for cute summer tops and shorts, but it's hard to be in the mood when it's SNOWING! Even our cat won't look out the window at it anymore.

Check out these instructions from Glamour mag about making a fauxhawk. I'm thinking this would be an interesting choice for formal night. Would you do it?

fauxhawk.jpg

I love the brown Alberta Ferretti dress. The champagne outfit is very pretty too, but that is a cool version of champagne, and of course, the neckline....sigh! I love the look, but it looks best on someone who is rather flat chested and long in the torso. That's not me! But I do love it.

I love the Marchesa gowns too. I have a daughter who loves lace, and she has since before it made it's comeback as of late. I have always loved lace, which is why I wanted that ivory dress to work so bad. I thought of tea staining it, but quite honestly, there is no changing the high crew neck style it has. Curt told me that I need a scoop neck or v neck, and he is absolutely right. I tell myself sometimes that I can wear other styles, but you know, I am trying very hard to dress better, and I need to look good or great, not okay.

The same daughter that loves lace sometimes does something similar to a faux hawk with her hair. My hair is silky like, and it falls flat pretty easy.

I grew tired of winter very early this year. The cold and darkness always make me feel like it is late, and I'm tired all the time. I don't want to go anywhere after I get home from work. It is starting to stay light outside a bit longer, which is so nice. We had quite a bit of mid 20 degree weather this week and it's just got to go!

I really need to find shorts badly. There isn't much in the store yet, but I am seeing some basic tops here and there.

My daughters are so excited that they will be going on a cruise with us next year. I am too, they are so much fun. My daughter that works in Dressbarn came home with the cutest dress this week, and the first thing I said to her was "bring it on the cruise!"

Here is the link:

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/embroidered-cross-bodice-dress/101366935/897

This particular daughter is an earth, like us. The dress is aqua like, and appears somewhat muted. It seems to work very well for her. However, with her hair being dark like mine, there was this other dress that was just perfect for her, but I can't find a picture online. It had gold, and our purple in in, witha dolman style sleeveand a side tie. The bottom of the dress was narrower.

I love the brown Alberta Ferretti dress. The champagne outfit is very pretty too, but that is a cool version of champagne, and of course, the neckline....sigh! I love the look, but it looks best on someone who is rather flat chested and long in the torso. That's not me! But I do love it.

I had the same thoughts about that champagne outfit. So many of the tank styles this spring have a high neckline like that. Even if I were ever small enough again to be flat I would still have a problem with those because of my hot flashes.

Here is the link:

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/embroidered-cross-bodice-dress/101366935/897

That dress is so cute! So summery and cool looking.

I'm enjoying the Macy's circular that came today, particularly this:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ellen-tracy-dress-long-sleeve-printed-shirtdress?ID=777008&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results&intnl=true&intnl=true&cm_mmc=wishabi_-ecircular-_-own-_-777008

and this, which looks way more orange in the circular than it does online:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tommy-hilfiger-dress-short-sleeve-paisley-print-a-line?ID=800637&cm_mmc=wishabi_-ecircular-_-own-_-800637

and this tote in Khaki:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-handbag-nylon-tote?ID=814538&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Here are some great hair ideas. Now that mine is a bit longer, I'm looking forward to playing around with it this summer.

hair01-1.jpg

27 hairstyles from Fashion Week:

hair02-1.jpg

hair03-1.jpg

I love the wavy look from the 40's, but I just can't figure out how to do it:

hair04-1.jpg

Ooo I like seeing the hair styles. I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. I love the short hair...it's so easy, BUT...my hair grows too fast. I don't want to spend what I would have to spend to truly maintain this look.

So I'm not having my hair cut for a while, while I figure out what I'm going to do with it.

Fortunately, my hair stylist does such a good job cutting my hair, it always grows out very well. At some point, I'll go in and have her shape it...first, I need to play with it...it's been a while since I've taken the time to just play with how I look.

I have some motivation again to get moving again and try to fit back into my shorts. We have two getaway weekends planned to Disney. The first weekend of Spring Break (April 7/8) and the first weekend of summer (Memorial Day weekend). Meanwhile...I have become the picture perfect candidate for "What Not to Wear". :eek:

In spite of the Pantone trends for spring, there are still a lot of nice EARTH colors out there, which is nice to see.

I love these pants! I think I'll have to go try them on, even though I promised myself I wouldn't buy summer pants until I lose 5 more pounds (maybe it will inspire me). There is a cute purple pair too:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/64177/71016/floral-burst-ankle-zip-jeans.aspx?colorid=994&refLink=search.aspx

Love this dress, but again the high neckline (sigh):

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/64166/71005/eCatProdLink.aspx

Beautiful scarves:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/64070/70910/eCatProdLink.aspx

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/63684/70506/eCatProdLink.aspx

Oh, Anita, you must have posted while I was writing. I was just thinking to myself that I miss your voice around here.

I've been doing a bit of that "what not to wear" myself since my wardrobe is in such a transition, and I'm not in the mood to invest in long term pieces right now.

Disney -- so fun! I truly believe it's more fun for grownups, based on the number of crying children you see there. I like to get there at the crack of dawn and run to Space Mountain. :) Yes, I'm really a fourteen-year-old in disguise.

Ok, last thing, I promise. I think this is the trench that CJW recommended from Banana Republic -- so cute! It must still be available. Love it with the big gold chunky necklace.

BRtrench.jpg

Ok, last thing, I promise. I think this is the trench that CJW recommended from Banana Republic -- so cute! It must still be available. Love it with the big gold chunky necklace.

BRtrench.jpg

I actually made it to Banana Republic in our Mall to try this on last week, as I promised. Color is great, but the fit didn't work for me. For the bust to fit, I had to go up to XL. Then, the rest of the jacket was too big on me. The other problem is that it was still full price. If the price was deeply discounted, it might be worth having it tailored. I have photos, but don't think i can upload from my iPad. Will try to add pics later. The store had some nice accessories in this shade of orange -- a belt and handbag.

Jane

Actually, the pics are really bad. The store lighting was really bad!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Edited by JaneStarr

I actually made it to Banana Republic in our Mall to try this on last week, as I promised. Color is great, but the fit didn't work for me. For the bust to fit, I had to go up to XL. Then, the rest of the jacket was too big on me. The other problem is that it was still full price. If the price was deeply discounted, it might be worth having it tailored. I have photos, but don't think i can upload from my iPad. Will try to add pics later. The store had some nice accessories in this shade of orange -- a belt and handbag.

Jane

Actually, the pics are really bad. The store lighting was really bad!

Too late to edit original post. The trench is still priced at $175, according to the web-site. Here is a pic of the bag in the same color:

cn5666241.jpg

Might be nice to have, if the price comes way down from $220.

Don't remember which of the skinny orange belts I saw that were the same color as trench. I think it's this one: cn5635394.jpg

Wow, lots to post on here!

First off, that nice orangey trench coat...I was happy when I saw the picture, because it's not double breasted. It might just work for me. I'm a bit of a cheapskate though, so $175.00 is a lot for me. Jane, I often have the same problem with fit. Curt tells me to get clothes to fit my biggest area, and have the rest tailored to fit. For this reason also, I would want the coat to be much cheaper. It will cost a lot to tailor! I will have to check it out though, you never know.

I'm loving the purse too. You know what is funny? I'm currently using an earthy orange purse, and I picked up another on sale, that happens to also be orange. the second is deeper though, almost a light rust shade.

Anita, I've never gone to Disney! We went to Universal Studios for a few days just a year ago with the girls, because we are all Harry Potter freaks. It was a whole lot of fun, but it turned out to be rather cold. I think we would love to go to Disney. My girls may be 20 and 24, but they talk about it a lot. I'm so happy too that you are getting a bit of vacation in.

I sure have a lot of "what not to wear" in my closet too, but I've been slowly replacing things. Margaret, you are making a good point about the necklines. I just love the way they look on all these thin, flat chested models, but they are downright horrible on me. I need V necks and scoop necks, and they are as plentiful as I would like them to be.

I found a few options at Macy's online this weekend, and I'm going to see how they work out when they come in. There is no harm, as I had free shippping, and I can return purchases up at the mall. They had 10% off all weekend, and I had a coupon for 20% off too.

I still need a brown suit! I suppose I have to give in and expand my search a bit.

Those Coldwater Creek scarves are really beautiful. I especially love the green one. And the necklace shown with that trench coat? That's exactly my kind of thing!

I loved the orange coat when it came up before...still love it. Definitely agree with everyone about the price. Not that I actually think it would be that bad to amortize over several years, if the quality were good and it would last. I still have a long trench-like raincoat with removable lining that my Mom bought I don't even know HOW many years ago, except that I was in high school. :eek: And it still lives! LOL. But watching for a sale...

I think I could get more mileage out of that coat living in GA...

I really do need to get back into shape so that I can get the clothes I need to live in a place with seasons again...

About the high necklines...I think that big girls can wear high necklines IF you do something to break up the chest space with an appropriate necklace and/or scarf. And depending on the garment that is has the high neck...by wearing another layer that can create the more flattering neckline.

I'm just not a purse bag type person... I like totes...but purses or handbags don't work for me. I have left behind more purses that I care to mention...forgetting them in restaurants, etc., and having to track them down. It's so horrible. And I guess I just don't understand what all people HAVE in those things. I think it could be related to not working and not wearing makeup for me. I don't need a "day bag" with necessaries since I'm usually at home or much closer to my car...which is where my necessaries are.

My family really enjoys Disney. These weekends will be a new experience. In the past, we have gone for a longer period of time and it has felt more like vacation... I'm hoping that we can still capture that vacation feeling with the shorter trips. Laurie, I agree with Margaret, in that I think that adults can actually enjoy Disney more than kids. You have to have a certain level of understanding to EVER enjoy a situation that requires so much patience. There can be a lot of waiting involved in a Disney trip...for our family, we enjoy that time...good conversation, people watching, etc...but some people have a hard time accepting the waits and get frustrated.

Also, I think you have to have a certain level of appreciation for all the imagination involved in creating such a detailed artificial environment...if that makes sense. Disney is unlike other theme parks in that they aren't really concentrating only on the ride itself, they are going for an experience that generally begins with the waiting line....it's hard to picture, until you have experienced it, but let's just say that most waiting lines at Disney are not endless switchbacks between metal dividing rails.

That's enough of that. I could talk for way too long about Disney...

My b-day is Monday...I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, I want to do to celebrate this weekend.

Who asked about the faux hawk? Did anyone watch the Biggest Loser Finale? One of the women contestants had her hair done in a kind of not-an-up-do faux hawk. DH said it looked like a female mullet hairstyle and he really didn't think it was attractive. So with that...I'd have to see if the up do looked better in person than the down do...

That's the key, Anita....IF it will last. One of the things I have noticed is how things just don't last like they used to. It makes me hesitant to spend a lot of money. Still, I love the color and the look. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it on, right? I would really have to absolutely fall in love with it for $175.00. I sure am a cheapskate, lol.

It's the first day of spring here, and I got to wear my winter boots to work today. I think I'm over this already!

I have yet to find a high neckline that works for me, but I also know that next year, V necks may be the thing, an there will be people saying, "but I can't wear those!". The more I learn about what works for me, the more I realize that I have to shop smart, and get things when I can.

Your comment about long waits at Disney made me think about our Orlando trip. When it came time for the Harry Potter ride we had been anticipating, we waited something like 2 1/2 hours in line, and it was absolutely freezing. We had such a great time, we almost considered getting back in line again!

I think the thing with the mullet is having a certain face shape, wearing your hair up, and not overdoing the mullet.

Happy Easter Ladies!

Let's talk hair!

As much as I loved my shorter hair, I just don't want to have to maintain that short cut. My hair grows way too fast and frankly, I don't want to spend that much on my hair...at least, at this time, I don't. BUT...it has been a long time since I last had my hair cut...I think December, right before Mom and Dad arrived... I've been trying to figure out what to do with it. The shorter layers that were around the tops of my ears are now below my ears...I feel very boyish with the hair longer in the back...and not in a cute way...so I need to cut my hair...I have an appt tomorrow at 11. So excited!!

I've decided to chop my hair at that level...a kind of very short layered bob like thing. Kind of like this:

http://woohair.com/id95957/short-layered-bob-hairstyles-2012-easy-and-fortable-315x450-pixel.html

Meanwhile...my nails have finally recovered from moving. Unfortunately, I've really focused on finalizing the organization of the house over the past couple weeks and my nails are getting busted up again. I think that I need to get back into the routine of caring for them...that always seems to help. Unprotected, they are more prone to get snagged.

What colors do ya'll wear in the spring?

It doesn't feel like spring yet. I just might need to change my mindset regarding what spring feels like though...I was comparing Houston to Atlanta and Houston's lows are around what our highs have been lately. Ridiculous. I need to get my body back so that I can get some cold weather clothes...

We have family coming in tonight for the holiday...and DH's parents are moving to the area. They arrive this weekend.

And then we leave for Disney in just over a week!

What are everyone else's plans?