All things EARTH...

I do love the red dress Laurie. I think that necklace would look very nice.

What a fun vacation day Margaret!

I haven't needed a coat much. I realize this as we've been watching the show "Once Upon a Time." Have ya'll ever seen it? Anyway...I pay attention to what Snow and Swan wear as outerwear. I've noticed that they both have at least 2 coats with scarves and hats. I think they are in Maine? Anyway...they need the coats for the weather, for sure. But I haven't really needed a REAL coat in many years.

However, I did find that one coat at Goodwill last year. A sueded leather coat that is single breasted and to just above the knee. No belt. Deep brown. New York Company brand. For $15.61. It was a steal. I'm looking forward to wearing it when the weather cools. It's the first nicer coat that I've owned in recent years. Most of mine have been more sports related...fleece, or literally a ski jacket.

I do have a classic rain trench coat too. The kind with the removable lining? It's really warm and smart. Pretty masculine in the lines. I realize now how helpful having just the right scarf and hat can be to help soften the look of something like this coat. We just haven't had to think about this. I think this is one reason why Mom's photos all look the same when she has traveled to a colder climate. It's the accessories that really help to change up your look when you deal with colder weather.

The cooler weather is just getting started here. There's a bite to the air in the morning, but the afternoon is very pleasant. There's enough humidity that it doesn't feel really cold. Highs are still in the 70s. So not coat weather yet.

Mom says hi to everyone. I think they are having a great time.

We've only had a few days where I needed to wear a coat. For the most half, it is fairly cool in the morning when I leave for work, but warms up during the day. A few times it's been in the 40's. Quite honestly, I hop in the car and turn on the heat. If I wear a coat to work at this time of the year, I'm likely to forget to bring it home! We are very close to what I call coat weather though.

That suede coat sounds just right to me. I think something like that would look very stylish with my work coat. I know that I am not working while I wear a coat, but I am not comfortable wearing something weekend like with work clothes.

Margaret, it looks like you had a fun day off!

Fall Chorus Concert Outfit...

The weather here is still pretty nice...I tried my new jeans on but I was way too hot in them...and knowing that the auditorium would only be as warm and warmer as the evening progressed...I wore one of my new Goodwill skirts:

005_zpsb6e293ab.jpg

I've had this shirt for a long time. If you can remember back to the color parties :eek:, this is a green with a blue undertone (you really see it when you see this green side by side with another). I love the print pattern of this skirt! I'm very hopeful of finding the blue in the skirt in a shirt in the future. What you can't see is that the lighter cream color has crackles of a lovely bronze color...I picked up on that with my jewelry. I'm wearing amber earrings and the green/bronze necklace that I have shown before (I was wearing a green dress when I pictured it before.)

So ...you can see my bloat and my rolls in the middle...but I do feel like you look more at me first and then see that. And that's what I was talking about with trying to highlight the best and just let the rest be. I have to just let my middle be what it is right now. This is what the Adrenal Body Type looks like. :rolleyes: And I'm trying to not add weight to that section by finding things that skim over that area. I like the darker necklace because I think it draws the eye up to me and my lovely face. ;)

I wore tan T-strap sandals.

It's just about time for a haircut again...I haven't had it cut since Steph did what I didn't really expect her to do. Not that it was bad...it was just unexpected. I think this time, I can actually get that blunt, shaggy bob like cut.

I'll keep getting photos of my new duds as I wear them. Happy Friday everyone!

And Margaret...that link doesn't look brown on my computer. I'll have to look again...but it kind of confused me?

Added: Ahhh...on my kindle, I didn't get to see the color options. The dress looks like it would move on the dance floor!

Edited by Anita Latte

So...the reason that I bought all these new (new to me) clothes is so that I could have a nicer appearance with my day to day activity. I wear tank tops A LOT...and camis A LOT...and so many of my purchases were sheer shirts intended to be worn over the various tanks and camis that I already own. I just wanted something that I could throw on when I left the house...even if I just took it off again when I got home. :rolleyes:

I was very happy to find this Chico's shirt. The colors are fabulous for EARTH...there may be some other colors blended into it...kind of like that one shirt Kim recently posted for FIRE...but the overall read is EARTH and it coordinates wonderfully with many, many different EARTH colors. I went for tone on tone today...with a red tank...AND...channeling Laurie...I grabbed a fun necklace that picks up on the yellows in the shirt and antique bronze hoops to help bring the focus up to my face. Again...Goodwill...$4.97! :cool:

011_zps03d682f7.jpg

Unfortunately...it's still too warm for jeans but cool enough for pants. I'm wearing some gray pants that I found...which I don't necessarily love with my EARTH colors...but...they fit me well and are very comfortable and practical...so I just deal for now and try to treat them like a neutral.

Also...I always pale out in a bright flash which went off for this photo...but I think it's still a decent photo. I do realize that I should have buttoned two buttons one button down...normally I go for the underbust buttoning. :o Ah well. Now I know to pay better attention to that! The shirt is a half size too small (ya'll know how Chico's sizing is) so it really works as an overshirt right now...but I know that I'll be able to do more buttons as time passes.

Margaret, that dress was in black at first, but I just tried the link again, and it was a fabulous brown! I love that it is in petites too. I don't need a petite, but I know that we come in all shapes and sizes, and I like it when that it is acknowledged. That is such a classy dress!

Anita, I loved the green shirt with skirt. I love the second outfit too! As you can imagine, I was over the moon with the necklaces in both pictures. :D

It's a beautiful fall day today. It will get cooler though towards evening, and my hubby and I are going to dinner and a movie. All casual, but I will have fun picking the outfit just the same! Maybe I can get a picture! I've already done the hair and makeup, which is pretty darn early. :rolleyes: We are thinking more of a late lunch/early dinner, then the 6:30 3D showing of Gravity.

I am thinking about this new top I have, but I wasn't sure if I might want something a little warmer. I have this orange/rust toned light weight sweater that may be ideal.

I want to share a recent find with you...remember the discussion on what to do when we need comfy clothes? I was in Dress Barn with my daughter, and spotted what I thought was brown boot cut jeans. When I got closer, I realized they were knit pants. I was hesitant to try them on but they are great! They are extremely comfortable and have a great look to them. You don't see lines and they are very flattering. I do have my pouch to deal with, but I have that with any pants. My daughter was like "Hello, mom? Put that shirt over there on with them, it's the kind of top you would wear with these!" Like usual, she was right.

They are much more flattering than this picture:

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/roz--embellished-ponte-pants/101520982

They are definitely worth looking at! I certainly wish the picture was better.

LAURIE!!! Those pants are similar to the gray pants that I've been wearing. Mine are a more technical fabric and are an outdoor brand...I bought them at Dick's...and I've been wishing they were chocolate brown. I just might have to try on those brown pants. Then I could save my gray ones for camping/hiking. Thanks for sharing!

Anita, I was pleasantly surprised to find quite a few brown bottoms at Dress Barn. There were those that I picked up, skinny jeans in two finishes and this stretch, pull on twill style that would be great with a sweater and some boots. I am so used to seeing all black that it was great to see all the brown options.

I am going to miss my daughter's discount there...she is moving over to the Eddie Bauer outlet. Dress Barn is a fabulous store, but the new manager has been quite unpleasant. My daughter felt it was time for a change.

I will still be shopping at Dress Barn because they have such wonderful options for me, and the prices aren't outrageous...I just liked that "deals" I ended up with when you get 40% off!!!! Both of my daughters have quite a few things from Dress Barn as well.

Wow, those pants are a steal! Anita, great finds. I love that green/turquoise combination for summer. It can be hard to find one that isn't FIRE, so that's a great score. And I love red, so of course I love your red shirt too. You look really good in red.

I have to wear a dark long-sleeved below-the-knee dress and tights to a party/benefit thing on Wednesday. Long boring story, but it will be a flock of black crows type of party. Later today I'll have to hunt through my clothes to see if I have anything suitable. I really don't want to buy something I won't otherwise wear just for one evening. I only have three or four dresses that fit right now and not one of them will cover me up enough.

So, this last Wednesday I wore a really cute brown zebra print Anne Klein dress to work (L&T, $20.99!) with a tan sweater and brown boots. I felt great! Then on Thursday I was running late so I threw on an old red and tan blouse and black pants and sweater. The blouse was way too big and I felt like a hot mess all day. I was so not happy. I thought about how good I felt the day before, and the blouse went right in the Goodwill bag. Really, what was I thinking? Why do I still do this?

I have my eye on a spring break cruise. So far it's only about 10% sold, so I'm thinking we might get a bargain. I'm squirreling away some money in case DH's schedule works out that we can get away then. Wish me luck!

Getting my hair cut Friday. Not sure what I want to do yet...

Bought some new, darker lip glosses yesterday AND for the first time ever, I bought some BB Cream. I'm working on my look right now. Did ya'll ever do that when you were younger? Just take the time to experiment with makeup, etc. I haven't done that in so long... So I had a little splurge yesterday and I got a BB Cream and a primer that is supposed to reduce redness. I tried it on at the store and it seemed to work really well, so we'll see.

Mom has had some fun with makeup. She found a mascara called Bronze Khaki. Doesn't that sound fabulous? She's giving me one!

I actually had to trim my nails today. :eek: Never in my life before...but they were just getting too long! Mark the day on the calender. I think paying attention to them and caring for them is really paying off.

We have a kiddo event this weekend...Academic Team tournament thing...so I'm trying to figure out what to wear. It's supposed to be very cold, but then we end up piling into these classrooms and they can heat up...or be very cold. So I need to dress in layers...and I want to be a stylin' Mom, not a dowdy Mom...so I'm playing with my clothes to figure this out.

How is everyone else?

Anita, can't wait to see pics of your new haircut. I did the shirt+cami thing a lot when I started to gain weight, and now I'm doing it again in reverse. It's a great way to stretch a wardrobe and also a good way to deal with temperature changes when you don't yet need a sweater.

I haven't been happy with the jewelry I've worn with my navy shirt/orange jeans combo, but today I found this at JCP. They have a selection of necklaces and earrings in this color family that are really great, and I had a hard time choosing until I remembered Pam's jewelry/neckline chart. The earrings have a nickel-sized gold sanddollar type thing on them that I took off, but I left one in the photo so you could see it. The metal beads on the necklace are gold, even though they don't look it in this photo. The blue disc-like beads are iridescent:

necklace.jpg

Nice jewelry find Margaret!

My haircut is AWESOME. You'll have to wait for photos. The camera is dead. I got some but I don't know how they came out. But basically I have a kind of jaw bone length bob with a multitude of layers with no layers being too short. And Stephanie flipped all my ends up all around and did a spray texture thing...OMG...SO FUN! Not to be too funny about it, but I could probably dress up like Jane Jetson for Halloween and have PERFECT hair. LOL!

Seriously though...the flippies are fun but it could be totally sleek and flat like...because my hair is that heavy. I'm happy to keep movement in my hair...that's what I didn't like about my shorter hair? That and sometimes, I felt a little butch with what it wanted to do naturally...:o

I think I've found some daily makeup to wear that enhances without making me feel inappropriately made up. It's nice actually.

In other news...Mom and Dad are experiencing their last day in Sydney today...perhaps I should say tomorrow? They leave at 9:20 pm local time on Saturday and arrive in Hawaii at 11 something AM Saturday. They get two Saturdays...but they lost a Tuesday...so it all evens out. They have had a spectacular trip, I believe, from what Mom has shared with her emails. Should be great fun to hear about this one!

I confess...I've been watching baseball! I'm also still not 100%, but I get better each day. I can't recall ever getting as sick as I did with this.

Anita - how did you end up dressing to this event? I agree about layers. Most of the time, I'm cold so it isn't an issue of getting warm. However, I do get some hot flashes these days. It can be so hard to know how to dress, but layers can definitely do the trick.

I haven't played with makeup in sooooo long. I need to. My daughter gets these samples each month from Birch Box. The other day, she started dabbing something under my eyes and I asked her what it was. She said it was concealer for my dark circles. I can't believe how much more lively I looked, lol. I think I need to pick some up.

I'm also looking for a good moisturizer. I've been using Clinique, and I've tried Cetaphil since I thought it would be a good choice. With both of them, I feel like it's...superficial? It isn't really bringing back moisture, but it sets on my skin when I apply it.

My nails were great about a week ago, and then I mentioned to my daughter that they're going to look great for my cruise. I shouldn't have said that because I broke almost every last one. My nails grow quick though, so I should be all set for a nice manicure before we go.

Margaret, I love jewelry, so you probably know I love the necklace and earring set. I have such a good time accessorizing. JCP can have a lot of good sales and clearance on their jewelry too, so it doesn't feel like a splurge.

I saw a dress online that I thought was cute, but too expensive and I didn't need it. Then it went on sale, and I had two coupons....I picked this up for about $35.00 when the original price was $80.00. I'm still debating about it. My husband really likes it, and I know it would look much better with the right undergarments. The color is quite warm in person. It's a taffeta type fabric, so it can depend on the lighting. I was worried about the shirring having that hoochie mama effect.

IMG_1844_zpsbcfcede6.jpg

That's hot! I like the wide set straps a lot. Makes a very good frame for your face and the necklace is fun! I don't see hoochie mama. Does the skirt part need to be steamed though? I think the shirring is flattering...it's accenting the smallest part of your frame. Very nice.

Did you ever get that underwear I talked about before called "Just Enough". I swear, that's the BEST! You can wear it over your regular underwear and it gets rid of even the waist/hip line of your underwear and smooths you out nicely while still being completely comfortable.

My event is tomorrow. I know I'm going to wear my new curvy skinny jeans that I bought a while back and my new moccasin booties. Did I mention these? I got these:

http://www.zappos.com/minnetonka-hi-top-back-zip-boot-brown-suede

Which are a bit like wearing slippers! LOL. They are so very warm for me...and mostly comfortable. I'm needing to stretch the width out a bit? So I'm wearing progressively thicker socks. I can tell that they WILL be great once I get them to the right fit through the molding to the foot process.

It's supposed to be super cold tomorrow morning...but I don't really need a full outer coat because I'll mostly be in the car...then inside the school. I'm still planning what to wear on top!

Anita, those are cute! You know, I always thought I couldn't wear straight jeanBs or skinny jeans, but I am learning a thing or two. One, skinny doesn't mean skin tight, so if the fit isn't super clingy, they look much better on me. Second, I need balance. I look horrible if I wear them with something like a ballet flat, but they are great with some sort of boot and longer top. Since I didn't get a picture from date night last week, I'm going to try again tomorrow. We may be going to a benefit during the day tomorrow. One thing I really love is that they are brown!

The dress was taken out a package where it was folded, and put on. It cold definitely use a steaming. I haven't tried those undergarments. I will have to look for them now. I loved the scoop neck styling for me on the dress. The necklace was kind of an accident - it is what I wore to work today and I forgot to take it off when trying on the dress. The first thing my daughter said to me was that she really liked it with the dress. Pairing necklaces with this dress is going to be so much fun! Maybe I will keep the dress and take it with me on the November cruise?

It seems I put everything on with the same gold shoes. I really like them though. I should do a bit of looking around for a second pair of them. I don't think most people notice right off if you wear the same shoes a few times on a cruise.

Of course, little Harvey was wondering in and out of the picture. I just love that dog.

Totally agree that you need to pair the skinnies with the right shoes. I have old school canvas sneakers that also work for me. The brand went out of business, but it was Simple...and I think I posted them earlier because I was trying to find another similar pair?

And I tend to do the long shirt also. One outfit I came up with is a cardigan that I actually inherited from my DAD. It's a very preppy cardigan with stripe work on the arm that is very...IDK...collegiate...I guess. There is a wide cream colored band and smaller orange stripes with the basic brown background. It's a zipper that works both ways so I can actually unzip the cardigan at the bottom too...and have the zipped portion be somewhere in the middle? I wear an orange or rust or coral shirt and those cute sneakers. That's what I wore to my parent teacher conference.

I think ballet flats look terrible on me in general. My calves are too big. I need a shoe with more visual weight in order for me to look right. Ballet flats never work with my feet anyway... And even if I could wear strappy shoes with thinner straps (I can't...they dig into my feet too much) they look ridiculous with my sturdy and muscular legs. Visual weight.

I really like these particular booties. For one...they aren't too trendy. I mean, they are kind of? But Minnetonka has been around for a long time and their look doesn't really change. Traveling on I-10 across the Southwest, I would always see Minnetonka moccasins in the different travel stops...stores, etc...and I always wanted them. Now I finally have a pair! :) I tried a couple different pairs...because of the width of my feet (not wide, but wider in the toe box), this style of sole works well. The ones on the regular moccasins weren't a good because they were so much narrower. And the brown goes with everything! Not too dark...not too light.

OH. I wanted to share. I have oily skin. Over the years, I have used only a few different products, because I'm really picky about chemicals. Anyway...my current combination seems to be working extremely well:

My cleanser:

http://www.vitacost.com/dr-woods-shea-vision-pure-black-soap-with-organic-shea-butter-32-fl-oz-1

My oil:

http://www.sundari.com/products/product.asp?idprod=11&skin=1&idcategoria=5

My lotion:

http://www.basin.com/face-lotion-oily/

It depends on how dry I am feeling...and whether I'm going to bed or going out. I may or may not use some oil on my slightly damp skin and then use the lotion. Sometimes, I just use the oil or the lotion. When I feel the need for some extra exfoliation, I add a bit of corn meal to my cleanser. I had a dermatologist tell me that corn meal was the best scrub for your face because it doesn't have sharp edges...so it doesn't scratch the healthy skin when it helps to remove the dead skin layer.

I was surprised to like the black soap as much as I do. I use it as a body wash too! I tried using it as a shampoo but that didn't work well for me at all. I really like the Sundari oil. It absorbs into my skin so nicely. And I don't feel oily afterward. The lotion is the same way. I feel like it sinks in and doesn't just sit on my face.

I'm having such camera issues. It has become very difficult for me to not only take pictures but to get them on the computer. Ugh. I'm working on it...

Meanwhile...Here's what I can do to create my outfit...

I wore very dark wash skinny jeans with those fringe moccasin booties. I layered a cotton blend tank (my A1 tank from the green color party), a golden yellow Henley style long sleeved shirt, and a lightweight golden yellow denim jack on top. Very tone on tone coloring. I wore a pop of color with a scarf with the A1 color in it, other greens and corals and oranges.

Using pictures from the past...which is kind of fun, actually to see how I am still working these same clothes...this page has the tank, the jacket, and the scarf that I wore (if you really want to see the photos LOL):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32235795&highlight=scarf#post32235795

It worked out very well for me. I worked that scarf for warmth as needed...the cotton all breathed nicely...I wasn't ever cold on top. My feet did get cold though, which was surprising, I think I could have chosen better socks...

We were over on the side of town with the great mall. So we went into Dillards to look at shoes. I need good cold weather flats that I can wear with skirts and pants. Casual flats. This is a major, MAJOR problem that I have always had because I have such a hard time with most styles that are labels "flats." I know ballet flats don't work, so I thought loafers might, since they cover more of your foot...but they bow out on the sides and are really, really unflattering. But I spotted these in Dillards:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjm3Qm2Sj-OJCfHbdPV-QEly4xRdeoUyKDaV5gB3z6CizEYzMj-Q

But leather looks more like these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJN1Svrj6CGhNQM3WUbGN3mdVZZqMIuZj8jg4tY3wCcWLgn0wnyw

And these were a keeper. They came home with me last night!

I need that strap across the top of the foot to keep the sides of the shoe from bowing out. They call the style Mary Jane Flats. They are like a cross between a ballet flat and a Mary Jane style. I really like the V-style strap over one simple band. They have enough visual weight to not look too funny at the ends of my legs...but not too clunky to look weird under a skirt. I picture wearing them with textured tights or opaque tights with my skirts.

Fun stuff!

Anita, cute shoes. They look comfy too, and like they would go with lots of things, dress up or dress down. I like the skinny jeans/moccasins combo you mentioned. I've a thing against UGGS, and this is a more interesting and more attractive alternative to that look, I think. Your signature look!

Laurie, aren't you a hottie in that purple dress! Did you lose weight? You look fabulous!

It's been in the 40s here the last few days, and I already gave away my winter coat. :eek: I've been making do with my copper trench coat and a big sweater. I was hoping to make it to December before I needed a winter coat, since the one I got out of storage is still a little tight with anything more than a blouse under it. Yikes! It was in the low 70s just a week ago! Crazy New York weather.

I took a picture of the dress I dug out of the closet to wear to the party on Wednesday. Once I get it out of my camera I'll post it. Today is a sweats and tshirt day because I have to give miss kitty a bath. She has adult acne! I have to bathe her twice a week with special shampoo for the next month, and then she needs to see the vet again. Who knew? Poor baby.

Is anyone watching The Paradise on PBS? I just caught the first episode by accident yesterday, but they have the next few on their website. It's on on Sunday nights here so I'm going to start taping it.

Looking forward to Pam's pictures from her trip. The FIRE board has been very quiet lately.

Real quick...Margaret, does Miss Kitty drink/eat from plastic bowls? My kitties both developed adult acne around their faces and I discovered that adult cats can develop a sensitivity to plastic later in life. I switched their bowls to stainless steel and the acne cleared up on it's own.

I have a thing against UGGs too. I feel like I'm talking a lot about my legs in recent posts...but the deal is that I don't have stick legs...yes, I'm overweight right now...BUT...no matter what...I have muscular legs and I've always had larger than normal calves...so a boot that adds all that extra girth to the calf area is NOT for me. And unfortunately, taller boots that actually fit around my calves are hard to find...and I don't believe they are very attractive on me. So, yes, the moccasin booties will probably become my own signature thing. Especially with the fringe! Which I happen to love.

I haven't watched that show, but now I'm curious.

I actually heard Mom and Dad's voices yesterday! WOW...it'd been a long time. Unfortunately, mine is horrible because I'm battling some sort of illness and I've lost my voice a bit. They have had a great vacation and it continues! They are staying in Hawaii until Tuesday. There were no plans for yesterday...I don't recall Sunday. And Monday, some sort of special photography related tour.

I'll start with the Uggs. I call them UGH! boots to my girls, lol. I just don't like them at all. They wear them, but I really don't like them. My primary snow boots, which we really need around here, have some similar styling without them looking twice as wide and so horribly unconstructed. You know, they have the suede look and they are flat, but much more stylish.

We are having mid 40s here too, so it's been cold. I'm wearing much warmer clothing, and I don't have a choice but to wear a coat, for the most half. Some areas farther north of us have already had a dusting of snow.

I have a pair of flat boots that go over my calf, but stop below the knee. They kind of balance out my body a bit when I wear skinny jeans. It's so funny, I had one pair of skinny jeans and the one pair of boots for about 3 years now, and I've worn them together about twice a year. All of the sudden, I pick up a pair of brown skinny jeans and I've already worn them a few times. I have a lot of trouble really getting a good idea of how things look on me without taking a photo. There is something about looking at a photo that makes me see things that I don't see looking in the mirror. I plan to take a few pictures soon. My husband took one of my outfit yesterday, but he had every light in the room on and it came out hard to really see.

Margaret, I have lost a few pounds. Not a lot, but a few. When I was really sick a few weeks ago, I didn't eat the best. I guess that was the one and only benefit of not feeling well.

Anita, I can really see your outfit in my head, and it sounds really cute. Did you end up being warm? I know that was a concern. Those shoes are cute too. I'm always looking for casual shoes. They are much harder to find, overall. Then again, it seems like so many of the dress shoes these days have a huge heel, and they don't work for me.

I have one cat in addition to my dog. At one point, I had three. I've never had an issue with the acne. One of my cats constantly had runny eyes, and because he was white, it looked awful. Another cat (the one I still have) is black and she is overly clean. She licks all the fur off her belly! We always joke it's because she wants to wear white shorts. It's amazing how white their skin is under their fur. The doctor says she is fine. It sure looks strange though!

Miss kitty has porcelain bowls. She has a tiny bit of acne on her chin but the major problem is her belly. Even though her fur is white there, it is hard to see, so I missed it. She handled her bath ok but she was very subdued for the rest of the day. Our concern is that she may have hormone issues, but we won't know for a few weeks. We are trying to keep her as stress-free as possible. Since our boat is out of the water now, we won't be taking her to the country on weekends until the spring (she hates the car), so maybe that will help.