AT&T coverage at the ports (Eastern Caribbean)

Gabruska

Hi. I have At&T services on my cell and spoke to a representative just now. He informed me that the ports we will stop >>>Puerto Rico and the St. Thomas V.I. are considered part of the US for coverage purposes and I will not be charged roaming or international long distance. Does anybody have an experience with it. Also he mentioned the Bahamas, but since Half Moon Cay is a private Island, not sure how it works there. Just don't want to have surprising charges on my bill.

Thank you:)

Just looked at the AT&T coverage map online and it doesn't look good for the Bahamas. You will always know if you are on a different network by simply paying attention to what network your phone says it is getting a signal from at any given time.

But a big yes for St.Thomas and San Juan. Have used my phone several times in these ports with no extra charges.

Hi. I have At&T services on my cell and spoke to a representative just now. He informed me that the ports we will stop >>>Puerto Rico and the St. Thomas V.I. are considered part of the US for coverage purposes and I will not be charged roaming or international long distance. Does anybody have an experience with it. Also he mentioned the Bahamas, but since Half Moon Cay is a private Island, not sure how it works there. Just don't want to have surprising charges on my bill.

Thank you:)

The AT&T web site displays international roaming charges. You can get the lower rate by adding on "World Traveler".

The fee is $5 month. I've used it when traveling abroad. I immediately drop it upon return.:p

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/roaming_drop_down.jsp?PIDL=IRSD|IRWT

Good for you, but we have two small children at home with grandma and business to run...maybe one day we will be able to just not worry about anything else and relax...It's our first time without the kids and I know I will miss them so much I will need that phone call ;-)

Fully understand. We're both cursed and blessed with a very small family...only five of us in the whole world. Our son, my sister and brother-in-law are all in their thirties, obviously on their own, and healthy. They will know how to reach us in case of emergency through the ship but since our cats don't take phone calls we'd really have nobody to check in with. The other part of us enjoying stowing the phones away is that we're clued to them when back at home because of work so it's good to see they actually can be detached from our bodies. :D

My Iphone wouldn't work when we got to a port where I should have been able to make AT&T calls after more than a week on our last cruise. Rebooting started it up again with no problem, so don't panic that your phone has broken if it won't work. AT&T assured me that was entirely normal if the phone has been out of a service area for a length of time.

They will know how to reach us in case of emergency through the ship :D

Can you please advise me on this? What is the best way in case of emergency to be reached on the ship? First time leaving the kids so I am little nervous....:rolleyes:

Thank you

First - a bit of Iphone protection while you are traveling - it is a wonderful instrument but if you have not used it on a ship you can get a big surprise. When you are in port in Florida, San Juan and St Thomas - usage is the same as at home - no charges - when the ship pulls out you are immediately on ship charges and I do not think we had coverage at HAlf Moon. After lengthy conversations with ATT they said that to protect yourself - put the phone into airplane mode before the ship sets sail and do not take out until you are reported as docked. If you need to call - the prices is @2.50 a minute ship cost.

If you use texting - it is $.50 a message - and you can connect to ship internet for a fee which is pretty high. The warning for airplane is that if you check you voice messages - you get charged for them by the minute. We too add the international pkg when gone and drop it when we get home because if we need the phone then it does reduce the fees in other countries but will not with the ship fees. I have been traveling Internationally with my iphone for several years and have not had any problems.

According to their website - these are their emergency numbers available 24 hours a day with the second number for extreme emergencies only -you might want to double check this by calling HAL during business hours - 877-932-4259

these are the 24 hour emergency numbers - 888-361-8803, or 206-301-5293

Archived