Volendam vs Zaandam?

smalldog

Hi All, has anyone experienced both Volendam and Zaandam recently and can tell me how the two ships compare?

I'm thinking not just the actual ship, but condition of rooms and facilities, attitude of staff, expertise of cruise director, types of activities offered, attitude of captain, etc etc.

Would appreciate any thoughts! thanks! :)

Hi All, has anyone experienced both Volendam and Zaandam recently and can tell me how the two ships compare?

I'm thinking not just the actual ship, but condition of rooms and facilities, attitude of staff, expertise of cruise director, types of activities offered, attitude of captain, etc etc.

Just got off of the Zaandam a few days ago & the Volendam about 18 months ago.

Cabins - both about the same size

Volendam - no issues at all.

Zaandam - a/c did not work for 4 days - after 6 reports we finally got an engineer up & he fixed it in about 2 minutes. Was perfect after that. Toilet overflowed with clean water so they just adjusted the drain, so then it did not hold any water so there were some sewer gas smells. All in all it was just fine.

Both ships had tons of storage.

Cruise Director/Entertainment

Volendam - can't remember him- entertainment below standard

Zaandam - was Eric Dowis - best ever. We have never had a CD better than him. Entertainment - Excellent.

Front Desk Staff/Explorers

Excellent on both

Cabin Stewards

Volendam - excellent

Zaandam - acceptable

Captain

Volendam - awesome & very personable

Zaandam - stand offish.

but remember they are 3 months on & 3 months off, so you may have a different Captain.

Dining Room-Lido staff

Volendam - acceptable

Zaandam - excellent - always smiling & joking and happy.

Ships conditions

acceptable on both

Hope this helps

Between the two I have a slight leaning toward Zaandam The staff is wonderful and decor just seems to "work" a little bit more. They're both great and I've been on both several times. Activities are a little more standardized (not entirely though) but of course the Cruise Directors may take 15 different spins on the same activity across the fleet, so take that how you will

Just got off of the Zaandam a few days ago & the Volendam about 18 months ago.

Cabins - both about the same size

Volendam - no issues at all.

Zaandam - a/c did not work for 4 days - after 6 reports we finally got an engineer up & he fixed it in about 2 minutes. Was perfect after that. Toilet overflowed with clean water so they just adjusted the drain, so then it did not hold any water so there were some sewer gas smells. All in all it was just fine.

Both ships had tons of storage.

Cruise Director/Entertainment

Volendam - can't remember him- entertainment below standard

Zaandam - was Eric Dowis - best ever. We have never had a CD better than him. Entertainment - Excellent.

Front Desk Staff/Explorers

Excellent on both

Cabin Stewards

Volendam - excellent

Zaandam - acceptable

Captain

Volendam - awesome & very personable

Zaandam - stand offish.

but remember they are 3 months on & 3 months off, so you may have a different Captain.

Dining Room-Lido staff

Volendam - acceptable

Zaandam - excellent - always smiling & joking and happy.

Ships conditions

acceptable on both

Hope this helps

Excellent comparison! Thank you for taking the time to do that! :)

I have been on Volendam twice and had same captain both times - didn't realise they changed (but I guess they have to have a break like ordinary mortals!) He was an excellent captain, Peter Vos I think his name was. Always told us what was going on, and handled the ship very well in some rough weather across the Tasman Sea, hardly felt it.

Between the two I have a slight leaning toward Zaandam The staff is wonderful and decor just seems to "work" a little bit more. They're both great and I've been on both several times. Activities are a little more standardized (not entirely though) but of course the Cruise Directors may take 15 different spins on the same activity across the fleet, so take that how you will

Thanks, yes it is subjective - we all appreciate different things. :)

Archived