Group Cruise: ES, OBC, and other ???

mscreneet

Im in the process of putting together our next group cruise. I have a few questions for those of you who may have put one together in the past directly with CCL. Normally I use a TA however this time I was considering booking directly w/ CCL.

1. Are you able to book a group cruise with the ES rate???? I see that the rate can sometimes changes a few times, especially when booking a good deal in advance, which we are doing. Ive also heard that sometimes you get a group rate which is pretty good.

2. What is the deal with the OBC limit??? Ive read a few post about certain limits that are in place now, however I still get emails from other TA websites that seem to still offer decent OBC.

3. Any benefit to booking w/ CCL vs TA when it comes to a group????

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Group rates are not usually as good as ES.

Yes, you can book ES but then you have to buy in to get the perks.

You didnt use to be able to book a 1A as a group, but now can do that too.

Group rates are only good for the group leader, no one else often...

cannot be combined with military. etc.

The main reason to join a group now on Carnival is if there are group activities you want to be part of ..not for the price. Better to have everyone book on their own.

Im in the process of putting together our next group cruise. I have a few questions for those of you who may have put one together in the past directly with CCL. Normally I use a TA however this time I was considering booking directly w/ CCL.

1. Are you able to book a group cruise with the ES rate???? I see that the rate can sometimes changes a few times, especially when booking a good deal in advance, which we are doing. Ive also heard that sometimes you get a group rate which is pretty good.

2. What is the deal with the OBC limit??? Ive read a few post about certain limits that are in place now, however I still get emails from other TA websites that seem to still offer decent OBC.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Our group TA for our Cruise Critic groups can include ES, Senoir, Military, etc discounts within our groups so I'm sure any TA can.......good luck.

Our group TA for our Cruise Critic groups can include ES, Senoir, Military, etc discounts within our groups so I'm sure any TA can.......good luck.

but do the military folks get perks at the military rate??

Yes they can be included in the group, I said it incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

OP. Great Questions. I am doing the same thing right now and have the same questions. Looking forward to the answers you receive. Please update this thread when you book and let us know how it went and what you learn. Good Luck. Have a great group cruise!

For my group-- you can book at any rate. BUT if you book using a early saver rate you lose the amenities.

ES rate is 60.pp cheaper then the group rate but you would lose the menity of 100 cabin credit. Each person gets to make the decision that is a better choice for them.

For my group-- you can book at any rate. BUT if you book using a early saver rate you lose the amenities.

ES rate is 60.pp cheaper then the group rate but you would lose the menity of 100 cabin credit. Each person gets to make the decision that is a better choice for them.

This is where I keep parting from group cruises..the rate is $60 per person cheaper ...but you get $100 OBC per cabin ...so at most you get $50 OBC per person (if there are 2 in the cabin) if you spend $60 more.

Group rates used to be great ...they no longer are great.

This is where I keep parting from group cruises..the rate is $60 per person cheaper ...but you save $100 per cabin ...so at most you get $50 OBC per person (if there are 2 in the cabin) if you spend $60 more.

Group rates used to be great ...they no longer are great.

I agree that the prices used to be better. BUT if a leader books early enough and locks in the price (as I did with the Valor) people that are looking in the summer time to cruise the Valor for Valentines day will see that my group rate is very cheap compared to what they can book elsehwere.

Already my group rate is a LITTLE cheaper then the carnival site.

People booking the ES rate usually do so in hopes the price will come down.

Only one cruise for this week for us ever came down and I think its because it was cruising in the Winter out of Baltimore. I really do not beleive this cruise will come down in price because it is a warmer ports of call.

We did!

If there is one thing true about Carnival ... its their inconsistency!!! lmao.

Since its the group leaders who are asking ...not those signing up, its always a good deal for the group leader, since they get the free berth.

We do group cruises for our charity. We add $15 to the ticket. Carnival matches up to $15. When we get the free berth money after the cruise that also goes to the charity. We have a fun weekend and get some money to a give to a good cause.

Of course it's all based on how may amenity points are available for the cruise.

We are closing in on 40 days till we leave. I had noticed a price drop on our category, and asked my ta to submit the es form, and she told me she originally booked us as a group ( there are 3 families that she booked together for us) and not es so I missed out on my $120 OBC. Is there any perks for being booked as a group she's not telling me about? I'm booking myself from here on out!!

Great info everyone..Thanks a bunch.

So a $100 OBC if we book as a group however we lose the savings of $60..which Im figuring actually we really only end up getting $40 since the discount will not apply (am I figuring that right??)

How we book the cabins should be fun as there are going to be about 4 cabins of folks who are military, 2 or 3 cabins of folks who are seniors and just about all of the cabins (except maybe 3 or 4) are past guest..LMBO. This should be interesting.

I forgot to ask...do you use your PVP when booking a group cruise or do you have to use someone in the group department. I dont care much for the PVP that they set me up with. I called in one time and he was assigned to me and I wasnt thrilled about the service he offered.

If there is one thing true about Carnival ... its their inconsistency!!! lmao..

And it really is not funny. I know they have to have rules but sheesh== be consistant with it.

The amenities for groups depend on the week sailing. For my week- the amenities can not be combined with other rates.

yes, people can book other rates--military rate, es rate or past guest rate. By doing that they lose the perks.

Group rates are not usually as good as ES.

Yes, you can book ES but then you have to buy in to get the perks.

You didnt use to be able to book a 1A as a group, but now can do that too.

Group rates are only good for the group leader, no one else often...

cannot be combined with military. etc.

The main reason to join a group now on Carnival is if there are group activities you want to be part of ..not for the price. Better to have everyone book on their own.

I completely disagree with you. My group has a rate that is about 450.00 less than if you booked it on your own, and they get 100 bucks OBC and they get to enjoy the fruits of my labor by discounted hotel rates, discounted tours, onboard activities, etc.

Group rate discounts vary from one group to the next. So saying a blanket statement like that is absolutely wrong.

I completely disagree with you. My group has a rate that is about 450.00 less than if you booked it on your own, and they get 100 bucks OBC and they get to enjoy the fruits of my labor by discounted hotel rates, discounted tours, onboard activities, etc.

Group rate discounts vary from one group to the next. So saying a blanket statement like that is absolutely wrong.

Actually, you are wrong, depending on when you booked. I booked early saver after considering booking through your group. At the time, I booked a 4k for the same price as a 4c or 4d in the group pricing, I forget the exact category, but I was able to book a french door inside cabin for the same price as your group price on a lower category. Also, because I booked early saver, I was able to upgrade through price drops. I now have a category 8k extended balcony and $230 OBC. If I would have booked through your group pricing I would still be in an inside cabin with only $100 OBC. So clearly, even in YOUR group, early saver was cheaper.

I just did the math. If I would have booked a balcony through the group pricing, I would have paid $380 more than I ended up spending with the early saver. In the end, with the upgrades, I have an 8k extended balcony, vs an 8c regular balcony through the group. Plus I now have $230 OBC vs $100. So my net total benefit is $510 saved and a bigger balcony...thanks to early saver

Clearly, every sailing is different. You may not always benefit as much from early saver, but in my case it is black and white vs the official group booking price on my sailing. From what I see, Early saver is almost always the best deal, especially if you are dedicated to checking for rate drops. But, again, every situation and sailing is different.

Great info everyone..Thanks a bunch.

So a $100 OBC if we book as a group however we lose the savings of $60..which Im figuring actually we really only end up getting $40 since the discount will not apply (am I figuring that right??).

The $100 OBC is per CABIN.

the $60 less is per person.

i.e. you lost out ..not gained.

Thats why I emphasised the per cabin, as it has to be divided among all the pax in the cabin.

I agree that the group rate is more expensive than the ES rate and also you have to put down the full deposit versus $25 per person reduced deposit. If you are interested in a thanksgiving cruise, see information below.

Actually, you are wrong, depending on when you booked. I booked early saver after considering booking through your group. At the time, I booked a 4k for the same price as a 4c or 4d in the group pricing, I forget the exact category, but I was able to book a french door inside cabin for the same price as your group price on a lower category. Also, because I booked early saver, I was able to upgrade through price drops. I now have a category 8k extended balcony and $230 OBC. If I would have booked through your group pricing I would still be in an inside cabin with only $100 OBC. So clearly, even in YOUR group, early saver was cheaper.

it will depend on when a person booked.

A person who is booking this group today will make out like a bandit.

compared to a person who like you booked a few months ago.

A person will have to do the math.

Today I checked the rates so I could do a fare comparisson.

For a person booking the Valor group- the group rate (8B) is the same as the early saver for an 8A.

it will depend on when a person booked.

A person who is booking this group today will make out like a bandit.

compared to a person who like you booked a few months ago.

A person will have to do the math.

Today I checked the rates so I could do a fare comparisson.

For a person booking the Valor group- the group rate (8B) is the same as the early saver for an 8A.

Early saver has to be booked way in advance. Also u don't get price drop opportunity with a group rate...only early saver

Hm, haven't cruised with Carnival in about 6 years, so am trying to get up to speed. We have a group considering doing a group booking. If you book ES, then you have price protection up to 2 days before sail date. From what I just read above if you are in a group booking, you cannot get any price reductions/obc? What if you book as past guest, would you be eligible to get obc on any price reductions:confused:

Thanks...I wasnt sure but I get it now.

OK...so my next question is ....is it going to be easier for me in dealing w/ Carnival directly when trying to obtain the best rate to go with using a TA

I just want the best rate possible and bast Catgeory for my money! Our sailing is not until July 2012. Im wondering if the price will even drop at all for a sailing during the mid. of the summer.

The $100 OBC is per CABIN.

the $60 less is per person.

i.e. you lost out ..not gained.

Thats why I emphasised the per cabin, as it has to be divided among all the pax in the cabin.

Thanks...I wasnt sure but I get it now.

OK...so my next question is ....is it going to be easier for me in dealing w/ Carnival directly when trying to obtain the best rate to go with using a TA

I just want the best rate possible and bast Catgeory for my money! Our sailing is not until July 2012. Im wondering if the price will even drop at all for a sailing during the mid. of the summer.

TAs are not allowed to discount, so it should not make any difference if you book with a TA or directly with Carnival groups.

Id still think its better for everyone to give them a PVP's number or a TA's phone number to call, and let them decide instead of you making the decisions ..it can come back to haunt you later on. They will blame you for getting a free berth if you dont share the money, if they book a group rate and dont know they cant get price drops etc.

Thats been the undoing of CC groups lately ...the TA who handles CC groups no longer can discount as she did before last Nov 1st. The discounted price on CC groups went away.

A TA can and will often throw in a gift, and some might under the table discount but its become a lot harder. A bottle of wine or whatever is still nice to get waiting in your cabin.

Archived