Paris "Must Sees" and "Off the Beaten Path" Highlights

MalibuCA

We are going to be spending two nights in Paris, and I'm looking for both the "must sees" and "Off the Beaten Path" highlights -- in other words, your most favorite things to do in Paris. In giving me your recommendations, please keep two things in mind: 1) We have spent time (3 full days) in Paris pre-cruise once before, and 2) our one full day of sightseeing this trip will be on a Monday when the museums are closed -- therefore, please eliminate the Louvre and the d'Orsay from your suggestion list. This visit to Paris is more or less an opportunity to soak up the Parisian atmosphere, visit the obvious sights like the Eiffel Tower, ride the Bateaux Mouche down the Seine, wander and get lost in Montmartre. Please share with me anything else that you have done in Paris that was unforgettable and an incredible memory. Please help me plan my one special day in Paris.

Thanks!

Shelley:)

I adore Paris and go quite a bit. My husband goes with me - and he has yet to see any of the normal tourist stops - i.e. the Lourve, D'Orsay etc - but we are busy and on the go. So here is my list of things i tell clients to do - when in Paris (shortened as you only have a day or so so i leftout things like Versailes, Chateaux in the Loire valley - or even closer, a trip to Champagne..i LOVE France)

My must see’s /must do’s in Paris:

1) Go and visit my My all time favorite museum ( just so you get an idea of what I like my #2 would be the Villa Borghese in Rome and #3 perhaps the Frick in NY)

Jacquemart-André Museum:

158, bd Haussmann

75008 Paris

The Jacquemart-André Museum is situated in the 8th arrondissement in Paris, close to the place Charles de Gaulle-Etoile and the Champs-Elysées. Open daily.

Quote from http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/small-wonders.html?c=y&page=3 : “More a mansion museum than a house museum, it was nonetheless home to connoisseurs Édouard André and his wife, Nélie Jacquemart, a fabulously wealthy couple who in the 1880s and '90s built their own self-contained world of art and beauty on the Boulevard Haussmann—a fashionable avenue on the Right Bank, not far from the Champs-Élysées—replete with masterpieces that Louvre curators undoubtedly covet to this day.

2) Dine at any of Chef Constants restaurants on rue Saint-Dominique, 7th. All the foodies write about his restaurants – Google him but do not get him confused with the baker of the same name (also in Paris…)

Les Fables de la Fontaine

Les Cocottes

Le Violon d'Ingres

Café Constant

3) AU PRINTEMPS. 64 bd. Haussmann. Metro: Havre Caumartin. Zoom to the 9th-floor terrace restaurant and take in the art nouveau cupola and a splendid view of the Paris skyline.

4) GALLERY LAFAYETTE. 40 Boulevard Haussmann. Metro: Chaussee d?Antin. This turn-of-the-20th Century department store has a vast, glittering Belle Époque glass dome viewed only from inside. On the first floor, Lafayette Gourmet offers plenty of places to snack and the second biggest wine cellar in Paris. (lots of fun to look at the food and prices – and buy food to snack on).

5) OPERA GARNER. Métro: Opéra Lavish monument to the grandiose period of the Second Empire and built 1861-75. Haunt of the "Phantom of the Opera" and the setting for Degas's famous ballet paintings, the Garnier is still the most opulent theater in the world. You can see the theater and lobby, without going to a performance. The stage is the largest in the world - more than 11,000 square yards, with room for up to 450 performers. Marc Chagall painted the glorious ceiling in 1964. Guided tours in English at once a day I think - if you do not do the tour you can run in and be out after only an hour or so…

6) Arc de Triomphe – the view from the top is great – and watching the traffic circle is a lot of fun as well.

7) Go and eat a Mille Feuille from PIERRE HERME 72 rue Bonaparte (Metro: Saint Sulpice). YOU can spot this shop from afar by the queue at the door. Pierre Herme, who once baked for Fauchon and Laduree, now has his own modern patisserie that is ultra trendy, not traditional. The store here is The Jewel Box and is a thing to see – it is like a jewelry store. We go and get a Mille Feuille (napoleon) and a croissant and take it across to the Luxembourg Gardens where there is a handy Rest Room in a little out building right where you walk in – we sit on benches near them and then use the rest room if necessary). A walk through the Luxembourg gardens - at lunch - when everyone else is outside there, enjoying being alive in Paris is just fabulous.

8) The Cluny Museum with the famous Lady and the Unicorn tapestries www.musee-moyenage.fr. Drop dead unbelievable – you have read about them – now go see them!

9) Jacques Genin - a chef - is worth reading about on the internet – and searching out his store will result in a food experience you may never forget. Journalists write about his famous caramels – but also articles have been devoted to his Mille Feuille pastry - made a la minute - according to your order - by the chef in his upstairs kitchen so that it is still crisp when the morsels meet your mouth. This is an expensive pastry but worth every cent. Jacques Genin 133 Rue de Turenne 75003 Paris tel: 01.45.77.29.01 Metro: Filles du Calvaire Tu-Sun: 11am-7pm Closed on Monday

10) A macaroon from Laduree on the Champs Elysee - may not be the absolute best (still great though) in Paris but just a thing that has to be done. You cannot go to Paris and not eat a Laduree macaroon. Oh – and keep the signature green bag!

11) On Sunday afternoon take the metro to Montmartre and climb the stairs - and watch all the people out and about - this place is crazy insane. And what a view of Paris!! There will most likely be a mass going on inside the church - and to be there - in such a beautiful building, with the choir singing - oh it is great to be in Paris

12) At lunch find a boulangerie with a very long line and get in it - you can be sure that the baguette (perhaps stuffed with ham and brie and butter?) that you buy once you get to the counter will be wonderful. That is why there is a line!

13) Take a cruise up the seine - takes about an hour for the narrated tour (discount coupons to be printed from the internet before you leave for France)

14) Visit the phenomenal Parisian perfume house - L’Artisan Parfumeur - what en expereince to buy a bottle of perfume herre (but you must!). Chic wait staff dressed in classy black helping you select the perfect scent. Ask for samples as well - they will give you these to take home. The store in Chartes is right next store to Herme..so you get the picture...What a memory this simple action will provide - buying your French perfume in a Parisian Perfume shop in Paris! Worth every penny. The biographies of the Artisans are listed on the web site for this perfume house - google it.

15) And walk, and walk and walk - every street has wondrous sights and great architecture - look at the windows and the doors – do not forget to look up as well for the architectural detail.

FLJoan

Cruises Inc

We are going to be spending two nights in Paris, and I'm looking for both the "must sees" and "Off the Beaten Path" highlights -- in other words, your most favorite things to do in Paris. In giving me your recommendations, please keep two things in mind: 1) We have spent time (3 full days) in Paris pre-cruise once before, and 2) our one full day of sightseeing this trip will be on a Monday when the museums are closed -- therefore, please eliminate the Louvre and the d'Orsay from your suggestion list. This visit to Paris is more or less an opportunity to soak up the Parisian atmosphere, visit the obvious sights like the Eiffel Tower, ride the Bateaux Mouche down the Seine, wander and get lost in Montmartre. Please share with me anything else that you have done in Paris that was unforgettable and an incredible memory. Please help me plan my one special day in Paris.

Thanks!

Hi

Just to clarify, not all museums are closed Mondays, some, like the Louvre, have a Tuesday holiday.

If you enjoy Impressionism, then the Orangerie at one end of the Tuileries Gardens is a delightful setting for some excellent Monet paintings and it has other exhibits, occasionaly some that are special for a limited time. The Gardens are an attractive spot for a quick lunch, glass of wine and people watching.

For truly off the beaten path, the walk from Sacre Coeur to the Gare du Nord provides a glimpse into a less touristy Paris. Lots of local shops. Don't know if I'd go there later in the evening, but then the Montmatre area and even Sacre Coeur are a little sketchy once the sun goes down.

Hi Shelley,

Norski is correct the Louvre is indeed upon on Mondays -- go to their website and see. The last time we were in Paris with our first granddaughter, we enjoyed the nighttime boat ride on the Siene with every building illuminated and our walk around Montmartre one afternoon.

To FLJoan,

Thanks so much for posting your "favs" of Paris. I did so much enjoy looking at the beautiful glass dome of the Gallery Lafayette. We will be going again to Paris with a second granddaughter in July and staying across from the Opera House. So, I certainly will take that tour this time. We also stopped at a boulangerie and ate our sandwiches in the gardens of Notre Dame. We didn't take the metro the last time, but took the buses since Paris was such a beautiful city, we wanted to see it all.

Sheila

Shelia

I did not take the tour as it was expensive and hard to get a spot on. That being said I had a ball at the Opera and was able to wander all over at my own pace and see what there was to be seen - and then get out in a reasonable time to keep on trucking through and around Paris. No matter how many days I have there is never enough time - as there is so much to see and do - even if it is just seeing how the people live and shop and eat ..etc.

I am an Anthropologist by university degree and have lived and traveled all over the world. One of my most favorite places to visit in any new country is the supermarkets - what a wonderful window on to that cultures lives. A supermarket or a department store can tell you so much.

FLJoan

Cruises inc

Our must see is La Sainte-Chapelle at the Palais de Justice. It has almost full height stained glass windows in a delicate framework of stone. If you like stained glass, you'll love being surrounded by the colorful windows. Elegant example of Gothic architecture. The last time we were there there was a poster announcing an evening concert, so we bought tickets and went back and enjoyed wonderful music in a beautiful setting. I think the stained glass is even more impressive than at Notre Dame, and this chapel is certainly less crowded.

To FLJoan,

When we were in Basel, Switzerland before our river cruise last July, we visited the big department store there and went to the basement food court for lunch. It was a real treat and we had lunch with the people who lived there. It was like a mini Harrod's food court. It also was the least expensive place to have lunch as Switzerland is very very expensive. I just kept taking photos of the wonderful produce, baked goods, meats and cheese. When we were in Kobe, Japan, and Berlin, we did the same thing. In Berlin, the food court is on the top floor and had many different types of sausage.

Sheila

I enjoy a boat ride a along the Siene at dusk - it's very pretty when the lights start to come on.

Try some steak tartare at a bistro. I am not a fan of French food in general but have had some wonderful steak tartares over the course of my 5 visits to Paris.

Visit a Monoprix store and pick up a bottle of wine and some of the wonderful cheeses, crusty breads, olives, etc. - a perfect meal to enjoy in your room.

Paris is lovely but really really expensive. I love the Jardin de Luxembourg after seeing all the crowded sites its like an oasis in the crowd.

I really enjoyed the top of the Ard de Triumph , its a long walk up the steps but the view is great .

As with many tourist points the street sellers wasted the Eiffel Tower for me but its worth a visit on a warm day . Be warmed though if its chilly that it will be FREEZING at the top.

No visit to Paris will be complete without going to the Louvre , a visit to Napoleons apartments in the Louvre make you realise why there was a revolution.

A visit to the area around the Moulin Rouge will open anybodies eyes !!!! won`t say any more than that .....

"Paris is lovely but really really expensive"....I must respectfully disagree. I, as well as other travelers, can fill up pages of free or inexpensive things to experience in Paris. For example, for only 1 euro you can get into the Rodin Museum Gardens, where you will find more Parisians than tourists, enjoying the statues and whiling away the day on park benches and, yes, passionately kissing in front of Rodin's "the Kiss". Even the Metro stop there, Varenne, has statues. If I only had one day, I would definitely spend some time here to get a true flavor of Paris.

This has been a very informative thread for someone like us who'll be in Paris from September 1st for 5 nights before we join our Tauck cruise in Amsterdam on the 6th. I've been taking copious notes and have added these suggestions to the extensive list we already have. We won't see it all in Paris but I'm sure we'll have a Wow! of a time.

I agree with the St. Chapelle post. I had been in Paris many times but never visitited. It is very near Notre Dame, and well worth the short walk, great bistro just across the street on the corner too!

EKML, I also went to an evening concert at St. Chapelle. What an amazing experience to listen to an orchestra playing while staring at the ceiling, stained glass windows, and statues, etc. I agree that St. Chapelle is one of the highlights of Paris.

Thanks!

An off the beaten path museum is close to the Eiffel Tower. It houses the Rodin art.

You didn't mention the must see of all, Notre Dame Cathedral (also, there is an underground museum under the parking lot).

Also, Napolean's toomb is worth a visit.

Versailles is just outside Paris, and a good visit.

An off the beaten path museum is close to the Eiffel Tower. It houses the Rodin art.

You didn't mention the must see of all, Notre Dame Cathedral (also, there is an underground museum under the parking lot).

Also, Napolean's toomb is worth a visit.

Versailles is just outside Paris, and a good visit.

Certainly agree about Versailles, but the OP is in Paris on Monday and the palace will likely be closed.

We will not have much time in Paris before our cruise. Is it possible to hire a cab to take you around to the highlights? We have done this in other cities, and although not a great experience, at least you get a glimpse of things. Anyone done this?

thank you

To Maggie Mae,

Are you checking into a hotel upon arrival in Paris? If so, ask the concierge. The concierge at our hotel arranged for a van with a tour company to take us to Versaille when we were there last. They have all kinds of tours available.

Sheila

We will not have much time in Paris before our cruise. Is it possible to hire a cab to take you around to the highlights? We have done this in other cities, and although not a great experience, at least you get a glimpse of things. Anyone done this?

thank you

Check out the Hop On, Hop Off tour bus-that may be your best bet if you have limited time. You can get off at any site you want, time permitting. They are also very good for getting you oriented in an unfamiliar city. Their route usually will include the major city sights.

Thank you for the advice but unfortunately, we will not be staying at a hotel as we arrive very early & go to ship but I can ask there.

My personal take on the Hop on/off buses.....

I have used the buses three times & have decided they are not worth the money. In Barcelona we waited over an hour at most stops just to get on the bus, in Copenhagen the bus broke down & we were stuck outside of the city for over two hours, in Rome we were snarled in traffic! Not great experiences. Our second day in Rome I found a cab driver who took us all around for the same price as the hop on. Now, with little time in a big city, I opt for the taxi tour.

Shelley, check out Fodor's "Barefoot Contessa--An Insider's Guide to Paris" (on-line). Also I found Bon Appetit magazine's article in the March 2011 issue, "The Snob-Free Paris Travel Guide" to be quite helpful. We, too, are spending the same amount of time in Paris before we begin a Mosel/Rhine River cruise. It's not enough time for 1st timers like us, but we are going to make the most of it. AMAWaterways offers tours, too, but we like to go off on our own most of the time.

Bon chance!!!

Our must see is La Sainte-Chapelle at the Palais de Justice. It has almost full height stained glass windows in a delicate framework of stone. If you like stained glass, you'll love being surrounded by the colorful windows. Elegant example of Gothic architecture. The last time we were there there was a poster announcing an evening concert, so we bought tickets and went back and enjoyed wonderful music in a beautiful setting. I think the stained glass is even more impressive than at Notre Dame, and this chapel is certainly less crowded.

I missed St. Chapelle when we were in Paris several years ago on a rushed one day visit from a cruise stop at Le Havre. I have told many people about this gorgeous church that I have only seen pictures of. I can't wait to see it in August.

Just remember you must go thru an airport style securtiy to get in. St. Chappelle is inside the local police station and courts building area. No big deal, just takes a while at certain times of the day. Enjoy!

Archived