Pigeon Island National Landmark?

TMaine

My wife and I went there last year and loved it. Sadly the Fort (Fort Rodney) was closed on our visit, but you can climb to the top of the headland if you have the energy...the views are fantastic, overlooking the Atlantic in one direction and the tranquil Rodney Bay beach to the other.

The little beach at Pigeon Island is quiet and pretty and the snorkelling was pretty good too. Well worth a visit.

Has anyone been to the Pigeon Island National Landmark? We were thinking about going there but weren't sure about distance and taxi fares. Thank you for any insight!

We were there 2 weeks ago on Victory. We inquired with the local woman at the information kiosk once off the ship. We told her we wanted a peaceful, quiet beach for the day, where the entire ship DOESN'T go. She guided us to Pigeon Island. OMG... what a dream! $5 pp entry fee, facilities, great snorkeling(saw angel fish, huge 15" starfish, urchins). A local, in his dingy came by, blowing his conch shell, selling, fresh mangos, coconuts, conchs, bananas. I jumped in the water, waist deep, and bought a coconut for $2. He lopped off the end with his machete and I drank and ate a fresh coconut right on the beach! How cool was that? It's a short ride past Rodney Bay, which is a zoo, from other cruisers! The vistas you will see when you take a short hike are ones for the history books. Absolutely amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Pigeon Island. The ruins are still standing and quite interesting to see. I believe the taxi was $30 one-way. St. Lucia is very high on transportation charges. Gas is over $5 a gallon there. But, it's well worth the trip! Pure serenity and tranquility! Enjoy!

We were there 2 weeks ago on Victory. We inquired with the local woman at the information kiosk once off the ship. We told her we wanted a peaceful, quiet beach for the day, where the entire ship DOESN'T go. She guided us to Pigeon Island. OMG... what a dream! $5 pp entry fee, facilities, great snorkeling(saw angel fish, huge 15" starfish, urchins). A local, in his dingy came by, blowing his conch shell, selling, fresh mangos, coconuts, conchs, bananas. I jumped in the water, waist deep, and bought a coconut for $2. He lopped off the end with his machete and I drank and ate a fresh coconut right on the beach! How cool was that? It's a short ride past Rodney Bay, which is a zoo, from other cruisers! The vistas you will see when you take a short hike are ones for the history books. Absolutely amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Pigeon Island. The ruins are still standing and quite interesting to see. I believe the taxi was $30 one-way. St. Lucia is very high on transportation charges. Gas is over $5 a gallon there. But, it's well worth the trip! Pure serenity and tranquility! Enjoy!

Was the taxi charge per person? I have looked into some things to do and I have been getting quotes of taxi services that were, very high per person charges. Thanks

We took the "Kayak to Pigeon Island" shore excursion from the Carnival Victory. You kayak for about 30 to 40 minutes or so, staying just a few hundred feet from shore. After you get to Pigeon Island, you are served refreshments. You then have three options: a guided hiking tour to a promontory for some good pictures; guided snorkeling or snorkeling on your own (they supply the snorkel equipment); or just laying around on the beach. You have between an hour and an hour-and-a-half for these activities. You are back on the ship a bit after noon.

Advantages: you get some exercise with the kayaking and you get transportion to and from Pigeon Island included in the price.

Disadvantage: you have to leave on THEIR schedule, so this would not work if you wanted more time at the beach.

Was the taxi charge per person? I have looked into some things to do and I have been getting quotes of taxi services that were, very high per person charges. Thanks

Oh yes... taxi prices in St. Lucia were the highest we paid in any other port, including Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Maarten and Puerto Rico. There's no escaping it, unfortunately. There were three of us going to Pigeon Island. So, figure on $20 round trip, pp. It took approximately 25-30 mins. to get there, but so worth the time and money!

Oh yes... taxi prices in St. Lucia were the highest we paid in any other port,

including Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Maarten and Puerto Rico.

There's no escaping it, unfortunately. There were three of us going to Pigeon Island.

So, figure on $20 round trip, pp. ===> That's not so bad..

It took approximately 25-30 mins. to get there, but so worth the time and money!

Higher than Barbados, huh? That's saying something! :cool:

Back in the 1980s when I had an Uncle living over there

I'd go stay with him for a few days, every now and then

and always found car rental terms and conditions to be a tight P.I.T.A.

I guess not much has changed, huh?

• 3 weeks later...

My day in St.Lucia draweth nigh,

so I started looking around on the internet for car rental rates in St.Lucia.

Somewhere quoted $50 a day -I reckon I could handle that,

so I kept on looking, and emailed Courtesy to see what they'd say.

Here's the response I got back.

Thank you for your interest in Courtesy Car rentals.

Since after the hurricane, the most appropriate vehicle for you for a few hours

would be a small 4X4.

The rates including Collision Damage Waiver, tax and Temporary Driving License US$121.00. :eek:

We will deliver and pick up the vehicle at the cruise ship terminal absolutely free.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Let's see now....for $121

what transportation/touring services could I get for me and the wife?

Also.. guess who's not getting any car rental business? :D

Had they come back with something reasonable, they might have got some $$ out of me,

but for that rate quoted, I'll see what's on offer at the pier and go with something for $25 a head,

- and if it turns out to be a 3 hour half-day tour, that's exactly what I want! ;)

Archived