Train to Seville

LostFan#1

DH and I will be in Cadiz for 12 hours (7am-7pm) Mon., April 25. I cannot find anyone (on the Trip Advisor forum or these message boards) who recently has traveled by train to Sevilla for the day. We are not foolish travelers; nor are we timid. If we can get off the ship right away, we should be able to get the 7:55am train to Sevilla and take the 3:35pm train back, leaving us a good hour before the ship sails. Five hours aren't much in Sevilla, I realize. Is this a doable plan? A wise plan? Are the train timetables reliable? Are train strikes posted ahead of time on a website? Finally, is this a pretty train ride?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

I checked Renfe schedules; here are your choices for Cadiz-Sevilla on Apr 25. 09317 ALVIA 08.05 09.50 1 h. 45 min. (Precio Turista: 23,30) 13005 MD 08.55 10.46 1 h. 51 min. (Precio Turista: 12,60) Your outbound time is correct. The trip is doable but rushed. Another alternative is organize your own trip or join others; check roll call for your sailing. On our cruise in 2009 this company was used http://www.lifestylesevilla.com/. 22 seater bus, Cadiz dock-Seville with guide; around 60 euro pp

Thanks for that idea - I went to their website, and that excursion is E95. Spain Day Tours is E79. Still, that is considerably more than the train (E25-40r/t, depending on regular or express train). I will, however, get back on my Roll Call and see what everyone is doing for Seville. Maybe someone has found something a little more affordable.

Thanks - anyone else with ideas?

We have been doing a lot of independent travel (on cruises and on land) for about forty years and would probably do the train to Seville, but with the following condition. When you venture this far from a port on your own (we do this all the time) you need to have a "Plan B." Is there likely to be a train delay that would cause you to miss the ship? No. But, and its a big but, it could happen. So you need to consider where the ship will be the following day. In other words, if you would miss the ship you should have a plan on how to catch-up. You also need to have the name and phone number of your ship's port agent...because if you do miss the ship it is advised to immedately call the agent and have them advise the ship. The other thing we have found in Europe is that some of the Guest Services desks will give you a cell phone number to call the ship....but you need to ask. Its also wise to carry a major credit card and a photo copy of your main passport page when going off on your own.

Hank

2009 price was based on the group rate. Someone organized it, prepaid and then collected on board. Everything was done through Roll Call. I think more than 22 people wanted to go but that was the bus capacity. If tour bought individually then the price is usually higher.

Thanks, Hank - we, too, have ventured far from ports before, but not quite this far. We do remember to take the port agent's number but never thought about a cell number for the ship. Will remember to ask. My tentative Plan B was to hire a taxi for the return trip. But that wouldn't work were the train to get delayed once we are aboard.

I am going to read through the Roll Call again to see what others are doing for Sevilla. If any of you have hired Spain Day or another group for a trip to Sevilla, 1) is there room left for two, and 2) what is the cost pp?

Thanks,

Debbie

Archived