Getting to the Port

Tweetydee

With the price of airfare and the cost of gas, my family is thinking about going Amtrak to Ft. Lauderdale for our December cruise. Has anyone traveled via the train, and I heard there maybe a discount for cruise passengers. Any info is appreciated.

One of our group did the train to Elation and said never again. Cost as much as flying.

I checked the fares and no discounts for me, you have to be 62 to be a senior. $258 each way and it was like one day, 17 hours and 55 minutes each way!!! No savings.

It takes days to travel by train. We took a train from Flint, Michigan to Toronto. Less than a mile outside of Flint, the train came to a complete stop. We were told that they were working on the tracks and we would be delayed for four hours. We just sat there for the next four hours.

I have been told that most of the Amtrack trains use freight train rails. They have the right of way so if there is a freight train coming, the Amtrack train has to pull over and wait for the freight train to pass.

Money wise, it's not worth it either. If you have plenty of time to kill, it might be doable.

I have taken the train all around the country, from California to Florida, up through Chicago, then to Minnesota, North Dakota and back to California. It was a great trip for my children and myself. We went to Disneyworld for a week and the mall of America and to visit family in North Dakota. We had a sleeper anytime we were on the train more than one night. That was a month long vacation.

We take Aamtrak from our home in Irvine, CA to San diego, CA when we cruise. It is less than two hours and less expensive than driving and parking for 8 or 9 days.

I wouldn't risk missing the ship, to take the train that far. As another poster stated, the freight trains have the right of way. The train is not always on time...and it sounds expensive. They do offer some discounts like AAA. At certain times of the year they have some good specials.

With the price of airfare and the cost of gas, my family is thinking about going Amtrak to Ft. Lauderdale for our December cruise. Has anyone traveled via the train, and I heard there maybe a discount for cruise passengers. Any info is appreciated.

We travel by Amtrak, and infact are taking it to NYC on our May cruise. We looked into taking it to Disney next year and I have done a lot of research. It looks like you would be taking the train from Chicago, as do we.

Here are a few things to know. Chicago to FL is almost 3 days by train because you need to go through Washington DC. Say you leave Chi on a Fri, you will arrive in Washington DC on Sat, have nearly a 6 hour layover, then arrive in FL on Sun afternoon. This will add three days each way to your cruise. For three of us roundtrip from Chi to Orlando was $720, which isn't too bad. But remember, you will need to buy food which is expensive on the train (unless you bring your own or have a room). A room will add about $300-$1500/leg of the trip IN ADDITION to your fare. Meaning it would possibly add $3000 EACH WAY plus the $720. And the rooms are tiny.

I would fly to Florida ports. Amtrak is perfect for ports in NYC, Baltimore, Boston, or New Orleans because these are overnight trips. We are leaving Chicago at 9:30 pm on Wed and arriving in NYC at 6:30 pm on Thu. Our ship doesn't leave until Friday night. The cost for the 3 of us is only $440 roundtrip, so we are saving money. It's the Chicago to Florida that is the killer route!

If you have any other Amtrak questions, please let me know :)

We are planning on flying to our next cruise (Alaska) from Michigan, but coming home we will be bringing the train, as we are taking an extra few days off of work. It sounds like the trip from Chicago to FLL is even longer then the Seattle trip. Being you are from Chicago, and you have more options for cheaper airfare, I would fly. For us, we are going to be spending the same, either way we go.

In December? You think air travel is bad in winter - trains and buses - no thank you. Doesn't take much snow if there is wind to drift over tracks or interstates. Tried to get my boy home for Christmas on a bus once. His 14 hour route turned into 3 1/2 days to go from Kansas City to Denver. That was miserable and it wound up costing more than airfare because of having to buy more food and a hotel room. IMO - not a good idea.

If you've got the time and can afford a sleeping car, Amtrak is the way to go. They can run late so plan to arrive the day before your cruise. You really need to get a sleeping car room as coach is similar to Greyhound. The price of sleeping car ticket includes all meals in the dining car.

Ditto Genesis803. By the time you pay for a sleeping car it may very well be cheaper to fly. My brother and his wife took the cheap coach fare only from Charlotte, NC to Jacksonville FL. They said never again. Even the relatively short trip was difficult in coach.

If you've got the time and can afford a sleeping car, Amtrak is the way to go. They can run late so plan to arrive the day before your cruise. You really need to get a sleeping car room as coach is similar to Greyhound. The price of sleeping car ticket includes all meals in the dining car.

If you think heavy seas are bumpy, that's nothing compared to a train. But I love sleeping on a train. If you are planning to get sleepers be forwarned that most are singles or doubles.

One year we did a repo cruise LA-Vancouver and took the Coast Starlight south. We got the only family sleeper - it was fun but took a day and a half. Tickets were cheap, the sleeper was $2,000extra for the 4 of us, meals, winetasting (2x) & newspaper included.

Also done Los Angeles to New York. We were 36 hours late. Discovered that when the cars are unbuckled from the engine there are no emergency lights in the cars. Many stories from that vacation.:eek:

Archived