Question for Mendenhall Ranger

Deb in Cali

We will have 8 hours in port in Juneau. I would like to experience a glacier without doing the helicopter since we one in our group that will not fly (plane or helicopter) :(. If we have to we can go without him.

Last time we did the helicopter glacier landing in Skagway and it was an incredible experience. We also did the the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center and the trail to the falls. :p

But if we rented a car this time is there a location to drive to that we could do a short (1/2 mile) hike to touch a glacier.

BQ.

That wasn't the answering I was looking for. :D

Saw on another thread that you just got back from Hawaii. It looks like the volcano on the BI is deflating and may lose its umph in delivering lava for a while. Did you get to the BI and see the lava flow?

BQ.

That wasn't the answering I was looking for. :D

Saw on another thread that you just got back from Hawaii. It looks like the volcano on the BI is deflating and may lose its umph in delivering lava for a while. Did you get to the BI and see the lava flow?

Yes the lava was flowing well and easily seen on my trip. Are you headed there? I can't say enough good things about the NCL itinerary. It was my 4th time on it and I'm aready looking at another.

Which sailing on the Pearl in August?...We will be on the Aug. 14th sailing...Congrats on nursing school

Thank you 12 more weeks, but I am not counting. :eek:

We will be on August 7. You will be getting on as I am getting off, that is unless you want me to stay on and enjoy myself for one more week. :rolleyes:

Yes the lava was flowing well and easily seen on my trip. Are you headed there? I can't say enough good things about the NCL itinerary. It was my 4th time on it and I'm aready looking at another.

I have been to Hawaii twice, once on a land based trip and the other was a cruise with DM on the NCL Wind which included Fanning Island. My brother just called my Mom to inform her that she is to book a cruise and send him the bill. She loved Hawaii so much that she is considering a RT out of LA or SD. Currently she doesn't know if any of her friends are able to go with her. I could be available, but it isn't in my budget for two cruises in one summer since we are already booked for Alaska. She is going to call DB to see what her budget is. :p Perhaps I or my sister will be going with her.

On our last trip we did the helicopter flight over the lava flow. She informed me after the flight that it was the best thing she had ever done in her life. :D

We will have 8 hours in port in Juneau. I would like to experience a glacier without doing the helicopter since we one in our group that will not fly (plane or helicopter) :(. If we have to we can go without him.

Last time we did the helicopter glacier landing in Skagway and it was an incredible experience. We also did the the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center and the trail to the falls. :p

But if we rented a car this time is there a location to drive to that we could do a short (1/2 mile) hike to touch a glacier.

Yes there is...Though the hike(easy progressing to moderate) is closer to two miles...

(Look it up on Google Earth/Maps) -- Coming off of Mendenhall Loop Rd....Take Skaters Cabin Rd. to the end...There is a parking lot/trailhead...

The trail travels along the West side of the Lake/Glacier...It's roughly a 1 mile hike along the lake's edge and then the trail begins to climb and it's another 30-45 min. hike to to get to a spot where one can then hike down to the glacier from the trail...In total one ought to allow 3-5 hrs(total round trip) depending on how long one wants to hang out around the glacier...

Be advised that the glacier can and does calve and the danger is even more present in the warmer summer months so one should take extreme caution hiking close around the glacier's lowest levels...I would not recommend actually hiking atop the glacier w/out proper climbing gear...

Skai,

....A 2 mile hike would be a great adventure for DH and I, but not for the other couple.

I would definitely split up for your activities in Juneau. Alaska is too expensive to compromise what you want to see and do. JMHO.

West Glacier Trail is more like a 3.4-mile hike from the trailhead, 6.8 miles round-trip. There's a lot of elevation gain as well, with several rough and rocky sections.

There's a good third-party photo tour of the trail here, but be advised conditions may have changed since then.

http://www.panamintcity.com/alaska/westglacier.html

West Glacier Trail is more like a 3.4-mile hike from the trailhead, 6.8 miles round-trip. There's a lot of elevation gain as well, with several rough and rocky sections.

There's a good third-party photo tour of the trail here, but be advised conditions may have changed since then.

http://www.panamintcity.com/alaska/westglacier.html

In my opinion, if you have no glacier trekking experience, this is better off with a guided tour. One company that is highly recommended on this board to consider.

There's a tour out of Skagway that I think is called something like the Glacier Point Safari that puts you in canoes and takes you up close to a glacier. You can do something similar in Juneau, although Mendenhall is getting a bit raggedy looking these days.

There's a tour out of Skagway that I think is called something like the Glacier Point Safari that puts you in canoes and takes you up close to a glacier. You can do something similar in Juneau, although Mendenhall is getting a bit raggedy looking these days.

It is called Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and in the past, anyway, was only offered through the cruise ship. It gets good reviews, but it is pricey.

Archived