BAGS program in reverse?

jmcdon7230

Thinking about how the BAGS program, where you check your luggage from the ship straight through to your home airport, is so convenient, I was wondering why cruise lines don't think about providing a reverse method wherein you could have FedEx or UPS pick up your luggage from your home and the next time you see the luggage it would be in your cabin on the ship. This would certainly eliminate a lot of the airline hassles.

Thinking about how the BAGS program, where you check your luggage from the ship straight through to your home airport, is so convenient, I was wondering why cruise lines don't think about providing a reverse method wherein you could have FedEx or UPS pick up your luggage from your home and the next time you see the luggage it would be in your cabin on the ship. This would certainly eliminate a lot of the airline hassles.

Several cruise lines have such a program - e.g. Cunard's 'White Star Luggage Service' uses DHL to ship luggage directly to the ship.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I see where it is offered by Princess:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/luggage.jsp

The prices are almost just stupid. $90 per piece and they pick up 7 days prior? 2 bags (1 for him and 1 for her) $360 round trip. You could buy the luggage a R/T ticket and get a seat assigned for your bags.

And CC people complain about airline baggage fees :confused:

The prices are almost just stupid. $90 per piece and they pick up 7 days prior? 2 bags (1 for him and 1 for her) $360 round trip. You could buy the luggage a R/T ticket and get a seat assigned for your bags.

And CC people complain about airline baggage fees :confused:

That's really not all that much. I got a quote from UPS of $250 a bag, from our house to Miami. My BIL thought it would be a good idea to ship our luggage to Rome when we went on our cruise, until after he got a quote of over $400 per bag.

I can see where it is useful for people who cannot handle their own luggage, but for many of us it isn't all that difficult...I'll just pay the airline fees and pack lighter so we don't go over the weight and number of cases.

That's really not all that much. I got a quote from UPS of $250 a bag, from our house to Miami. My BIL thought it would be a good idea to ship our luggage to Rome when we went on our cruise, until after he got a quote of over $400 per bag.

I can see where it is useful for people who cannot handle their own luggage, but for many of us it isn't all that difficult...I'll just pay the airline fees and pack lighter so we don't go over the weight and number of cases.

You're correct in the the prices are not that bad based on individual prices. However, as huge as Princess is, along with the fact that they are part of Carnival Corp, they could offer better pricing and still make loads of money.

I work for a HUGE conglomorate. Our deal is any package up to 50 lbs, overnight in US for $10 per package. Of course, we probably ship 100,000 pieces a day.

I wouldn't expect Princess to offer this good of a price but $90 per piece for 7 day ground service? Everybody could still make good money at $40 per piece for 7 day ground service.

I don't mind someone making money off of me, in fact I expect it. Just don't make so much off of my transaction that you can retire off of me.

Archived