First-time cruiser - going on Jewel 07/02/11

layli

Hi... We've booked our first cruise for July 2. We are a party of 11 (5 adults over the age of 60, 3 adults between ages of 25-35 and 3 kids - ages 10, 8, and 2). We have 5 rooms booked on Deck 10 towards the front. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the Jewel, activities for kids and adults as well as overall experience.

Thanks

Wow, that's a pretty broad question. Between now and then just watching the many threads that are on CC about cruising would provide you a wealth of info. Cruising is different things for different people, with one common connection...it's wonderful. The ship is filled with many eating options, various types of entertainment, wonderful staff providing friendly service, port stops with tours, and so forth. Try maybe asking a few specific questions. Also, the NCL web site lists a bunch of info on cruising and specifically the variousl ships.

We are going on the Jewel on 7/2 also (out of NY?) and will also be on 10th midship. We will be a family of 4 and our first cruise also. I'm interested in the responses you get on your question and will check back now and again to check in.

Looking forward to the fun in T - 115 day!

The Jewel was our first cruise and we've had two more on her. It is an excellent ship with an excellent crew. You have a very big crowd where as we had only the two of us, but we loved it. The Jewel and the Spirit are our favorite ships.

We're cruising the Jewel in June.

Here are my three suggestions. First, at the top of this board there is a search function. Click on it and pick "advance search", then type in "jewel" and choose search titles. You will get a ton of information and can begin to gather the information you want to know.

Second, go to the board called "Norwegian Jewel Roll Calls" and see if there is a listing for your particular cruise. It is really fun to get to know other members cruising the same time and maybe they will have kids the same ages, etc.

Third, go to the Ports boards and look up the stops you will make and see what are the best excursions to plan. I would STRONGLY advise you against a Disney excursion in Port Canaveral because you will be there on July 4th. Between the crowds and the unbearable heat, you won't see or ride much and will spend a fortune to do very little. Also, the parks could be closed to capacity since you won't arrive until after 1pm.

The Jewel is a great ship and we've really enjoyed sailing on her. The children in your group will enjoy the Nickelodeon experience. The entertainment will be good. If Jean Pierre, the magician/comedian is stll onboard, you won't want to miss him. He's heart-attack inducing funny. There's usually a ventriloquist that the children will like, though the act is pretty lame for adults (just my opinion). The Band on the Run 70s act in the Stardust is excellent. The same group also performs Circque du Bijou, which is also good. The crew talent show is worth seeing. The Disco Destruction night in Spinnaker's is great fun and you'll learn how to dance like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. The White Hot party is also a good time. Pub crawl, martini tasting, and beer tastings are a lot of fun, if you're in to that sort of thing, which I most definitely am. You might enjoy the morning and afternoon trivia sessions, and a chance to win those spiffy NCL luggage tags. If you like Improvisational humor, you'll enjoy the Second City comedy group. Second City is the training ground for such comedians as Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radnor, Bill Murray, Bonnie Hunt and so on. Cagney's is my favorite restaurant while my wife really loves Tango's for Tex Mex. The spa onboard Jewel is terrific and I highly recommend you take the tour on boarding day. We always get the spa pass and make maximum use of that facility. Check NCL's website and look into one of the honeymoon/romance packages. You might find something you like there. Also, when you board see if there are any two-for-one specials being offered at any of the specialty restaurants; and keep checking the Freestyle Daily for such offers. Jewel has an excellent gym, a decent library, hot tubs, swimming pools, shuffle board . . . well, you get the picture. There's plenty of fun to be had and the best thing is that you're on vacation. You don't have to be anywhere or do anything.

Last year we were a party of 13 on Celebrity. I coordinated it for everyone. The best suggestion I have is getting everyone on the same page. Make sure that all adults have an itinerary - and know when and where to be places. Make sure that everyone has a voice when picking group activities. Find something special for every person traveling so that they feel that their needs are met. Look at the Freestyle Dailies to get an idea about activities. One thing my brothers and I do is give the moms and grandmas a gift certificate for a massage on board as a mother's day present. It is something to do on board and will be used. It was really appreciated. Good luck!

Thank you all for your tips and ideas. I just printed out the jewel dailies from crimmper's Feb cruise. gonna check it out to get ideas of who would want to do what.

Glad to hear the freestyle dailies are being used by future cruisers.

Happy reading and planning.:D

Archived