No jacket required?/What nights are formal?

LVMullet

The Elegant Evenings are always the night of the first full day of your cruise and then the fourth or fifth evening.

Carnival eliminated the term 'Formal Night' several years ago when they relaxed the dress code somewhat. Regardless, gentlemen are required to wear a jacket in the steakhouse on Elegant Evenings.

:)

Men don't need a jacket to dine at the specialty restarant do they?

Can we find out when the 2 formal nights are? We are sailing on the

Valor on March 27th.

Thanks

No jackets are required anywhere even on formal nights.

No jackets are required anywhere even on formal nights.

Not quite accurate...

Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrées, desert and the wait staffs' gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. The dress code requires that men wear jackets on the 'Cruise Elegant' nights of the cruise. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/MyReservation/supper_club.aspx?WT.mc_id=BSupperClubBlog

The Elegant Evenings are always the night of the first full day of your cruise and then the fourth or fifth evening.

Carnival eliminated the term 'Formal Night' several years ago when they relaxed the dress code somewhat. Regardless, gentlemen are required to wear a jacket in the steakhouse on Elegant Evenings.

You are not required to wear a jacket on formal night even the dining room. Just dress decently.We have been on the splendor numerous time and on the spirit and there many men with no jackets and no one has been turned away.

Not quite accurate...

Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrées, desert and the wait staffs' gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. The dress code requires that men wear jackets on the 'Cruise Elegant' nights of the cruise. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/MyReservation/supper_club.aspx?WT.mc_id=BSupperClubBlog

Well, I suppose what we may have here is yet another, "whats required" vs. "what's enforced". My wife and I enjoyed Davids on the Pride last July on the ships second Elegant night. One of the several reasons for why I enjoyed it included.....not wearing a jacket. There were several guys there also sans jacket......fwiw

Well, I suppose what we may have here is yet another, "whats required" vs. "what's enforced". My wife and I enjoyed Davids on the Pride last July on the ships second Elegant night. One of the several reasons for why I enjoyed it included.....not wearing a jacket. There were several guys there also sans jacket......fwiw

Yep... that happens but the dress code requires a jacket. I've seen gentlemen turned away from the steakhouse before because they lacked a jacket. I've also seen a few steakhouses that had 'spare' jackets for those who weren't so equipped...

Yep... that happens but the dress code requires a jacket. I've seen gentlemen turned away from the steakhouse before because they lacked a jacket. I've also seen a few steakhouses that had 'spare' jackets for those who weren't so equipped...

Just wondering if you know what sizes they have avail. Then i wouldn't have to pack mine....

Just wondering if you know what sizes they have avail. Then i wouldn't have to pack mine....

I have no clue... also, I've not seen it on every ship that has a steakhouse... luck of the draw, I guess or the whim of the Maitre d'...

It appears the appropriate dress is now a "formal" evening baseball cap verses a more casual day baseball cap. That was my recent experience on the legend. I suspect it has something to do with promoting proper digestion of the "gourmet" cuisine with adult males.

Wearing your baseball cap in the elevators with ladies present additionally is touted as an aid against vertigo problems.

It appears the appropriate dress is now a "formal" evening baseball cap verses a more casual day baseball cap. That was my recent experience on the legend. I suspect it has something to do with promoting proper digestion of the "gourmet" cuisine with adult males.

Wearing your baseball cap in the elevators with ladies present additionally is touted as an aid against vertigo problems.

Its war time. As you know during war time it is perfectly acceptable to wear a hat(helmet) indoors. We all know its war time on a cruise, fighting the holier than thou fashion police.;)

Men don't need a jacket to dine at the specialty restarant do they?

Can we find out when the 2 formal nights are? We are sailing on the

Valor on March 27th.

Thanks

jackets are only required in the steakhouse on elegant night,

What's the big issue with some people ?

Simply pack one coat and one tie. I just timed myself and it took about 30 seconds to put both on....that's not even a clip on tie.

Cruises have always had dress standards for the main dining rooms, so I can't understand the "debate" on how to dress, or those so grievously "offended" by having to dress up a little.

The Lido buffet affords one the comfort of wearing cowboy boots, flip-flops, torn t-shirts, cut-offs, bathing suits, halter tops, and so on.

Simply pack one coat and one tie. I just timed myself and it took about 30 seconds to put both on....that's not even a clip on tie.

Cruises have always had dress standards for the main dining rooms, so I can't understand the "debate" on how to dress, or those so grievously "offended" by having to dress up a little.

The Lido buffet affords one the comfort of wearing cowboy boots, flip-flops, torn t-shirts, cut-offs, bathing suits, halter tops, and so on.

A logical & reasonable answer. It makes way to much sense...........

:cool:

Hall of Fame nominee answer! This should be a must read before any discussion about "dress standards". This is usually a 500+ post thread from the....... "I don't wanna, so it should be crowd". Stopped cold at less than 20 posts.

:cool:

This is cut and paste directly from Carnival.com:

What to wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

Which Carnival ships have the Steakhouse?

With an elegant, but fun-filled, relaxed and somewhat casual atmosphere and a menu that includes steakhouse favorites, the Steakhouse is guaranteed to be a favorite dining spot. For a nominal fee of $30 per person, guests can take in the atmosphere and enjoy the amazing culinary creations of our chefs.

The fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs’ gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. The $30 fee also applies to children.

The Steakhouse is an alternative to eating in the Main Dining Room or the Lido Restaurant, open daily, 5:30pm-9:30pm.

The dress code for the Steakhouse is Cruise Elegant (Jeans permitted on Cruise Casual evenings).

Available on the following ships:

Carnival Spirit - Nouveau Steakhouse

Carnival Pride - David’s Steakhouse

Carnival Legend - The Golden Fleece Steakhouse

Carnival Miracle - Nick and Nora’s Steakhouse

Carnival Conquest - The Point Steakhouse

Carnival Glory - Emerald Room Steakhouse

Carnival Liberty - Harry’s Steakhouse

Carnival Valor - Scarlett’s Steakhouse

Carnival Freedom - Sun King Steakhouse

Carnival Splendor - The Pinnacle Steakhouse

Carnival Dream - The Chef’s Art Steakhouse

Carnival Magic - Prime Steakhouse

It may only take 30 seconds but thats not the point, to my anyway. First, I don't even own a jacket. Plenty of ties and so forth but no jacket. I'm not a fancy kinda guy. We're sailing on the Victory so I guess I don't have so much to worry about but a steakhouse would be nice. Also, a jacket is one more bulky object to pack. We're going on our first cruise to have fun and relax not to wear stuffy hot clothes.

It may only take 30 seconds but thats not the point, to my anyway. First, I don't even own a jacket. Plenty of ties and so forth but no jacket. I'm not a fancy kinda guy. We're sailing on the Victory so I guess I don't have so much to worry about but a steakhouse would be nice. Also, a jacket is one more bulky object to pack. We're going on our first cruise to have fun and relax not to wear stuffy hot clothes.

I understand that some may not own a sports coat. Perhaps one could call the cruise-line and explain the situation.

If you read post #20 on this thread, you will see that sport coats are suggested, not required!!!

You can quote all you want. Jackets ARE required ONLY on elegant nights and ONLY in the Steakhouse on such nights. All other dining areas on any night, and the Steakhouse on any night OTHER than elegant night, you don't need a jacket.

If you don't want to pack a jacket, just stay out of the steakhouse on elegant nights and you'll be fine.

Archived