Which Greek Isles itinerary

razerbackmom

There are at least two different routes going from Venice to Rome. I am looking to book one of these for next year. One goes to Rhodes, the other doesn't. Any recommendations? Also, should I book when the cruises open or should I wait to book when I am on the Island Princess in August?

Thanks.

Rhodes is fabulous but the harbor entrance is very narrow and tricky to get in and out of, so there are no guarantees that the ship will be able to dock there. I've been there twice and the first time, we were unable to dock due to strong winds; we docked the second cruise and I thoroughly enjoyed Rhodes.

I would wait until August to book unles you have a certain cabin you want.

While on board in August, visit the Future Cruise Agent and get a Future Cruise credit (FCC). You can only buy a FCC for the passengers onboard on that cruise. You can buy as many as you want if you know if you are going to be cruising in the future. They are good for the next 4 years and totally refundable.. You pay $100/pp and this will be applied as your deposit for your next cruise, each person has to have their own FCC. Each person will also receive an onboard credit for your next cruise depending on the length of the cruise and category of cabin from $25 and up per person. You can book your cruise while on board with the Future Cruise agent or they will ask if you want Princess to hold your FCC until you decide which cruise you want in the future or if you want it to be sent to your travel agent if you were working with one. The FCC's onboard credit is combineable with any onboard credit your travel agent gives.

Hi, we are doing the Greek Isles Venice to Rome 12 night cruise this June.

Ours includes both Rhodes and Santorini as well as Athens and Ephesus.

Any itinerary that includes Rhodes is a definite must for us. Rhodes Town is lovely. You don't even need an excursion there you can potter about the town and see plenty.

Berwyn

Santorini and Rhodes. That helps narrow the list. Any other suggestions?
If one of the itineraries includes Ephesus (Kusadasi), to me, that is the one place that I consider an absolute "must see." Santorini is nice, and beautiful, and Rhodes is historical, but Ephesus was a major stop in the trade routes and dates back 4,000 years. Far better and more historical than Pompei. I've been there four times and wouldn't hesitate to return. It seems I see something new each time.

Thanks to all of you who have shared your ideas. I am looking forward to Ephesus and Athens. My DH and I like to see something new each trip and don't mind seeing an old favorite. We have been to Venice and Rome and there are several things we missed because of time. Plan on booking a couple of days front and back of cruise.

I really appreciate the info and would love to hear more from those who have been there. We explore on our own mostly, but have done excursions when needed.

The itinerary I have been mulling over is: Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakolon, Athens, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Santorini, Naples/Capri, Rome. I would love to go to Istanbul, but can't find a sailing that includes most of the above. Thoughts?

The itinerary I have been mulling over is: Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakolon, Athens, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Santorini, Naples/Capri, Rome. I would love to go to Istanbul, but, can't find a sailing that includes most of the above. Thoughts?

Hi, that's the itinerary we are doing this June. We have visited several of them before on a RCL roundtrip cruise from Rome.

Berwyn

If I could make up an ideal cruise in that area it would include in descending order of importance: Kusadasi/Ephesus. a fantastic Roman city with great Bibical importance, of course; Santorini, though Rhodes would be a close third, and Crete, which, for some reason,is not easily reached by major cruise ship lines. Delos and Patmos are also interesting but I wouldn't go out of my way to revisit Mykonos. My first ever cruise was in the Greek Islands on a Greek lines ship, the World Renaissance. The ship was almost a rust bucket, the food was modest at best but the itinerary was fantastic and made up for everything else.

We want to sail to this area also & some go to either Split or Dubrovnik but not to both...any suggestions on which is best? :confused:

Haven't visited Split yet, but LOVED Dubrovnik.

The old city is beautiful, easy to walk around, and you can even walk on the wall all the way around the city.

It has beautiful narrow alleyways, and everyone is friendly.

Haven't visited Split yet, but LOVED Dubrovnik.

The old city is beautiful, easy to walk around, and you can even walk on the wall all the way around the city.

It has beautiful narrow alleyways, and everyone is friendly.

Thanks 'airboss'...did you get your CC name from being in charge of a carrier flight deck?

We been to Rhodes a couple of times, and the last time there we were lucky enough to overnight onboard and we were able to rented a car right at the cruise peir and spent one of the days exploring most of the island and going to the hill top town of Lindro (awesome)... In addition Rhodes Town is a charming pictureques walled city with many historical sights close by and a beautiful harbor.

Don't miss it

Srpilo

I also loved Dubrovnik. Everyone I know who has been there has loved it. Haven't met anyone yet who hasn't. Loved walking the walls as well as through the town.

The one place in that region I would say stay away from is Albania. Depressingly poor with everyone struggling to just survive. The main road isn't wide enough for a bus and a car in many places and it was as rough as driving on an unpaved road. Can't remember the port we went to (I can look it up) but about 1/3 of the city had empty and abandoned half-built buildings. It looked like abject poverty; pretty depressing. I'm glad we went and were able to pump some money into the economy but it wasn't a positive experience.

We were on NCL with people who were doing a back to back and they said Dubrovnick was much better than Split. We also loved Ephesus (better than Pompei, but BE SURE to go to the terrace houses there. Probably will mean a private tour. Athens was a disappointment because there was so much unrest last spring. We were delayed at the ship and then the Acropolis was closed for a while by a strike.We did get to see it, but it was an uneasy day.We have to go back so I can see Santorini and now I've added Rhodes. Enjoy!

Thanks to all of you who have shared your ideas. I am looking forward to Ephesus and Athens. My DH and I like to see something new each trip and don't mind seeing an old favorite. We have been to Venice and Rome and there are several things we missed because of time. Plan on booking a couple of days front and back of cruise.

I really appreciate the info and would love to hear more from those who have been there. We explore on our own mostly, but have done excursions when needed.

The itinerary I have been mulling over is: Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakolon, Athens, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Santorini, Naples/Capri, Rome. I would love to go to Istanbul, but can't find a sailing that includes most of the above. Thoughts?

I was on this exact itinerary in '09 on the Ruby. LOVED IT!!!!! Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Ephesus & Santorini are my personal favorites. Katakolon - least scenic but the 1st time there I toured the Olympic village which was cool. Some in our group used this port as a rest from a very busy itinerary (only 1 & 1/2 sea days).

O.K. Santorini -- you must visit the village of Oia. Can take the bus from Santorini. This was in 2006 but our family of four went for about $2 each way. Just wander around. I am looking right now at the pictures on my office way. Breathtakingly beautiful.

I would love to get back to Dubrovnik. We spent the morning at a winery near the Montenegro border and then the afternoon exploring the town. Prices were much cheaper here than in Rome or Venice. Example: gelato -- 1 Euro versus 4 in Rome or Venice.

Athens -- We booked a private car for our family of four. It was a bright yellow Mercedes. Booked through athens taxi. It was a SPECTACULAR day. Also ventured out to Cape Soujourn. Loved, loved, loved everything about our time in Athens. No problems here whatsoever and could do the same thing again. We hit all the early sites ahead of the ship's tours. Didn't miss a thing.

Want to get to Istanbul but haven't quite yet.

Venice -- the sailaway during the afternoon was complete romance. It ranks as my husband's and my most memorable cruise moment. Andre Bottecelli and then Josh Grobin were singing. It was like it was just the two of us. Both crying.

I also loved Dubrovnik. Everyone I know who has been there has loved it. Haven't met anyone yet who hasn't. Loved walking the walls as well as through the town.

The one place in that region I would say stay away from is Albania. Depressingly poor with everyone struggling to just survive. The main road isn't wide enough for a bus and a car in many places and it was as rough as driving on an unpaved road. Can't remember the port we went to (I can look it up) but about 1/3 of the city had empty and abandoned half-built buildings. It looked like abject poverty; pretty depressing. I'm glad we went and were able to pump some money into the economy but it wasn't a positive experience.

Was it Sarande?

I've always wanted to go to Albania -- I remember when I was a kid, it was just a pink blob on the map, no city names or anything. Totally closed country. Was utterly fascinating to me. One of the professors here does archeological work in the summer somewhere in the Albanian countryside and he loves it. Says the people are very nice and the mountains are beautiful. I'll get there someday . . .

Archived