Security in Mexico

How do those of you cruising to Ports in Mexico feel about the Drug Cartels targeting Americans off of Cruise Ships in port?

I have not heard of one incident in regards to your comment. Where did you find such information that tourists are being targeted by drug cartels???

We live in Mexico for about 2 months a year (in Puerto Vallarta) and have fewer safety conerns in PV then we do at home. The reality is that the ports of Cabo St Lucas and Puerto Vallarta are very safe. Mazatlan has had some violence issues (but nobody is "targeting" cruise passengers) which has caused most of the cruise lines to cancel port calls to that port. Acapaulco is still on some itineraries, and this is the port where I think the cruise lines have made a bad decision. Acapulco has more then its share of cartel related violence and the city also has a pretty high crime rate. Although we love living in Mexico we would not consider visiting Acapulco at the current time.

Hank

I feel absolutley SAFE traveling to Cozumel on our cruise next week. There is no "targeting" of cruise ship passengers anywhere in Mexico, as far as I know or have heard of....

While some feel that American tourists in general in PARTS of Mexico have been targeted, I dont feel that they are cruise ship passengers.

Many of the problems in Mexico are caused by American's or (people in general) going off to places in Mexico that they shouldnt be.

If you stay where you're supposed to while in Mexico, there is no worry...

DO YOU REALLY THINK THE CRUISE LINES WOULD CONTINUE TO TAKE PASSENGERS TO PLACES WHERE THEY ARE "TARGETED"?....

And last night on the news they listed the top unsafe cities for Spring Break and the list included Miami, Daytona Beach, Galveston and New Orleans. You probably have more chance of a problem in the embarkation port city than you have in Mexico. We have been to Mexican ports 30 times and never had a problem.

If you take the Chaccohoben Myan ruin tour in Costa Maya, your tour bus will pass through a military check-point, complete with machine-gun nests.

Our tour guide told us that Mahahual/Costa Maya is fairly isolated and that road is the only way in or out, as it goes through mangrove swamps (but I don't know how true that is), and the check-point keeps the bad guys out of that area.

Archived