Formal Night No Jacket?

singwithjoy

If you want a unique experience, do the opposite of what has been suggested. Wear a good suit or tux to the buffet.

You won't believe the dirty looks people give you - like you're offending them by dressing well ! :rolleyes:

I can't believe how many people dress formally and then eat in the buffet! Last cruise the buffet was crowded on formal nights--I'm guessing there was so much to do that people just didn't have time for the whole sit down meal.

My husband brings a jacket but no time. He has never had a problem.

8/99 Alaska –Celebrity, Mercury

8/01 Scandinavia/Russia –Princess, Crown Princess

1/05 Western Caribbean –Celebrity, Constellation

10/05 Hawaii –Norwegian, Pride of America

1/07 Panama Canal -Celebrity ,Constellation

8/07 Hawaii- Norwegian, Pride of America

1/08 South America – Celebrity, Infinity

10/20/08 Mediterranean – Celebrity,Century

6/11/09 Eastern Caribbean –Princess, Caribbean Princess

10/15/09 Mediterranean-Carnival Dream

6/24/10 Caribbean – RCCL Explorer of the Seas

12/3/10 Caribbean – Celebrity Millenium

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=retired1998&date=5-8-2011&text=&ship=Caribbean Princess

I agree. On one cruise, we were seated with 2 young men who were college football players and their mother. Summer in the Caribbean--HOT-- even in the dining room. I told the young men that I would be fine if they removed their jackets, but their southern mom glared at them. I personally would have been more comfortable if not seeing the sweat rolling down the faces of the young men opposite me.

Still waiting for our first cruise, and wondering about the temperature in the air con in the MDR during dinner. (Panama canal on the Coral). My husband has no issue with wearing a jacket in terms of packing, being polite etc however, if he is wearing a jacket and tie and eating in a restaurant he usually gets really hot and turns bright red and most uncomfortable, and more often than not has to take it off during the meal. Would people generally find that OK? Rosebery

Still waiting for our first cruise, and wondering about the temperature in the air con in the MDR during dinner. (Panama canal on the Coral). My husband has no issue with wearing a jacket in terms of packing, being polite etc however, if he is wearing a jacket and tie and eating in a restaurant he usually gets really hot and turns bright red and most uncomfortable, and more often than not has to take it off during the meal. Would people generally find that OK? Rosebery

A few of the staunch formalists might but no one from Princess will ever say a word. I always see many guys doing do just what you described.

I personally do not think that anyone minds if a jacket is removed during dining in the MDR. What people object to is the people who don't dress appropriately, such as t-shirts or shorts in the MDR in the evening. As for men with hairy chests or armpits, I still find it very offensive to see women who are scantly dressed. So, it works both ways.

Regardless, if you are a young person (who sweat), a man or a woman, follow the rules/suggested dress code. You are not at home.

If you want a unique experience, do the opposite of what has been suggested. Wear a good suit or tux to the buffet.

You won't believe the dirty looks people give you - like you're offending them by dressing well ! :rolleyes:

LOL ;)

doglaughing.gif

We just got off the Sapphire yesterday. We saw men in shorts being turned away at dinner on Smart Casual nights. We also definitely saw men without jackets being admitted on Formal nights. On the first Formal Night, we saw a man admitted who was wearing a short sleeved striped golf shirt over a long sleeved gray T shirt. His wife was wearing a white track suit. :eek: The majority of men had suits or at least a jacket and tie. The man at the table next to us was bragging about the compliments he was getting on his brown corduroy jacket. Overall I thought people were dressed "up", although lots of people were not technically "formal."

I'm confused. It seems you too are not following the guidelines (by bringing a blazer, vs a suit or tux). So are you pushing the envelope? Or do you feel that a blazer is proper, so you don't feel that is going against the actual dress code? Really..not being snarky..I'm trying to figure out what you are saying...if you are saying people are trying to push the envelope, or if you are saying you push the envelope.

My husband brings a Jacket and dress pants. Some were more dressed up than him, others were less. It's what it's going to be for us..that's as dressed up as he cares to be.

I can't help myself reading these formal night questions and comments, even though I have seen enough of it already.

Often, the question is how far can we push the envelope on the cruise line dress code. You don't want to follow the guidelines, why ask. Just show up in whatever it is you deem appropriate, and see what happens. There's always the buffet if it doesn't work out.

Personally, I bring a blazer, slacks, and 3 ties for variation. I like it. On an Alaska tour I left those at home to keep it simple, dined at the buffet on formal nights.

Otherwise, I follow the guidelines. Not rocket science.

My husband does not want to bring a suit. He plans to have a long sleeve shirt and a tie. This should be alright shouldnt it? No jacket just a shirt.

I was turned away from CASUAL dining from the main dining room on the Grand Princess because while I was wearing a polo shirt, I was wearing walking shorts. Not jean shorts, but a polyester/cotton blend short not too much unlike what some business men in Bermuda would wear to the office.

Depending on the Maitre D' or the head waiters they may turn him back at the door. In my case, I quietly turned to my wife and whispered for her to go on in, and I popped upstairs and changed and was back down in less than 10 minutes.

I'm confused. It seems you too are not following the guidelines (by bringing a blazer, vs a suit or tux). So are you pushing the envelope? Or do you feel that a blazer is proper, so you don't feel that is going against the actual dress code? Really..not being snarky..I'm trying to figure out what you are saying...if you are saying people are trying to push the envelope, or if you are saying you push the envelope.

My husband brings a Jacket and dress pants. Some were more dressed up than him, others were less. It's what it's going to be for us..that's as dressed up as he cares to be.

Paint me fashion stupid (see my earlier post LOL), what is the difference between a Jacket (Princess specifies "Dinner Jacket") and a blazer?

Sports Coat is another term...aren't they all the same as opposed to a suit jacket which is made of the same material as the pants?

Seriously I am fashion challenged so if anyone can explain the differences I would appreciate it...of course Mr. Google could help but he is so not with the style scene! :D ;)

Paint me fashion stupid (see my earlier post LOL), what is the difference between a Jacket (Princess specifies "Dinner Jacket") and a blazer?

Sports Coat is another term...aren't they all the same as opposed to a suit jacket which is made of the same material as the pants?

Nope...they're absolutely not the same. A dinner jacket is usually white, ivory, or black, cut differently from a blazer or sport coat, and is definitely formal wear, basically a tuxedo jacket (though it need not be worn with full tux regalia). It's considerably dressier than your basic dark suit, actually.

James Bond wears a dinner jacket. Thurston Howell III wears a blazer.

And it's really easy to Google. But...

http://www.google.com/images?q=dinner+jacket&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AviGTayrJoz6sAPTovz3AQ&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1589&bih=925

We just got off the Sapphire yesterday. We saw men in shorts being turned away at dinner on Smart Casual nights. We also definitely saw men without jackets being admitted on Formal nights. On the first Formal Night, we saw a man admitted who was wearing a short sleeved striped golf shirt over a long sleeved gray T shirt. His wife was wearing a white track suit. :eek: The majority of men had suits or at least a jacket and tie. The man at the table next to us was bragging about the compliments he was getting on his brown corduroy jacket. Overall I thought people were dressed "up", although lots of people were not technically "formal."

What you described is pretty much typical of most Princess cruises lately.

I was turned away from CASUAL dining from the main dining room on the Grand Princess because while I was wearing a polo shirt, I was wearing walking shorts. Not jean shorts, but a polyester/cotton blend short not too much unlike what some business men in Bermuda would wear to the office.

Depending on the Maitre D' or the head waiters they may turn him back at the door. In my case, I quietly turned to my wife and whispered for her to go on in, and I popped upstairs and changed and was back down in less than 10 minutes.

It was definitely the shorts that were the problem and not the Polo. When we were on the Grand in Dec. they were more lenient at the time.

What is strange that on even Caribbean night shorts a not allowed even though they are a part of typical island attire.

On one Caribbean cruise, the sun was streaming in the window by our table and it was hot! You could tell the men were getting uncomfortable. All the ladies quickly suggested that it would be fine if the gentlemen removed their jackets.

On other cruises, the temperature was fine, even cool.

Formal night has a party atmosphere and a certain ambience. Those dressed casually on formal night in the dining room, in my opinion, detract from that atmosphere, particularly if they are at at your smaller table, like a table for 6.

That being said, I think one formal night on a 7 day cruise is plenty.

Nope...they're absolutely not the same. A dinner jacket is usually white, ivory, or black, cut differently from a blazer or sport coat, and is definitely formal wear, basically a tuxedo jacket (though it need not be worn with full tux regalia). It's considerably dressier than your basic dark suit, actually.

James Bond wears a dinner jacket. Thurston Howell III wears a blazer.

And it's really easy to Google. But...

http://www.google.com/images?q=dinner+jacket&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AviGTayrJoz6sAPTovz3AQ&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1589&bih=925

Thank you that is helpful! Loved your examples - Bond vs. Howell LOL! That actually nailed it for me. I have been to a number of formal events in my life but more of the dark suit events and not black tie.

I must admit the Tuxes look great (wore one for High School Graduation and Wedding). I would be willing to wear one if Tuxes were strongly encouraged. Really not much difference packing wise.

That being said, I think one formal night on a 7 day cruise is plenty.

My husband's opinion is - if I have to bring the shoes (the worst part) and the tux, I want to get as MUCH use from it as possible. Formal, every night:D Bringing all that kit for just one use is a waste of packing space......

How much does princess charge for a tux rental? last year we were overweight at the airport but they let us get away with it (would have been 75 bucks overcharge). This year I dont want to pack the suit ...

Excuse the punny. DH is also stating the 'no suit/no tux' line for our next cruise. While he owns a tux and more than one suit, he has not worn any of them in over five years - retired ya know. ;) I'm not sure they'd even fit him; at the least alterations would be required as he's enlarged somewhat.

I am embarking him on a course where he learns the lines "Yes Dear" and "Whatever will make you happy Dear". He's pretty stubborn but I have almost a year to get him fixed up. :D At the least he will wear a dark suit. Perhaps we will rent a tux. One or the other will be happening on the formal nights we attend which will be a minimum of two of the four.

I like to 'dress up' and this is one of the few opportunities I have to do so. This cruise is not just about him and his wishes. For at least two out of twenty evenings, he can wear a suit, smile about it, and make me happy. Were he not to cooperate, it could be a verrry loooong 20 days plus. :(:mad:

I like to 'dress up' and this is one of the few opportunities I have to do so. This cruise is not just about him and his wishes. For at least two out of twenty evenings, he can wear a suit, smile about it, and make me happy. Were he not to cooperate, it could be a verrry loooong 20 days plus. :(:mad:

I like your way of thinking. It takes two in a marriage to compromise....so ITA...your DH can do this small thing for you... wear a suit on 2 formals nights. You goooooooooo Girl!

How much does princess charge for a tux rental? last year we were overweight at the airport but they let us get away with it (would have been 75 bucks overcharge). This year I dont want to pack the suit ...

Bamelin, you rent through this company and the tux is waiting in your stateroom when you arrive. http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

Let your husband wear what he wants it's his vacation and he's paying for it.

After umpteen of these threads, same old weak argument. Plenty of better restaurants have enforced dress codes, and it doesn't matter a whit that the diner will be paying for his meal. Even cheap restaurants reserve the right to toss you out if you arrive shirtless. And if hubby wants to wear a Speedo and a wifebeater? Hell, he's paying.

Let your husband wear what he wants it's his vacation and he's paying for it. After pictures and lights my guys are always hot and sweating so they all have their jackets on the back of the chair anyway.

You have added a new reason not to wear a jacket> Great! Now we can add to the list:

'After pictures and lights - men get hot and sweating.'

LOL

Excuse the punny. DH is also stating the 'no suit/no tux' line for our next cruise. While he owns a tux and more than one suit, he has not worn any of them in over five years - retired ya know. ;) I'm not sure they'd even fit him; at the least alterations would be required as he's enlarged somewhat.

I am embarking him on a course where he learns the lines "Yes Dear" and "Whatever will make you happy Dear". He's pretty stubborn but I have almost a year to get him fixed up. :D At the least he will wear a dark suit. Perhaps we will rent a tux. One or the other will be happening on the formal nights we attend which will be a minimum of two of the four.

I like the way you think! :D

Archived