Corona Beach? where is it?

tropics

Anyone know where Corona Beach is in Progresso? Is that the beach at the end of the pier? I was debating on whether or not to sign up for the Corona Beach Break w/ Carnival for 35.00. I don't want to pay 35.00 if this is a beach that I can walk to.

Hey Tropics:

The beach is at the end of the pier. You will see it from the bus as you enter town. When you get off of the bus, turn left at the next street and it is about 2 or 3 blocks. Be sure to bring your camera because the beach is gorgeous. When we were there in January the wind was too strong to stay on the beach without being sandblasted, so we loafed around town and saw the sights.

There is a plaza a couple of blocks from the beach that is pretty neat. This is a REAL Mexican town with real stores, meat shops, fish markets, heck, they even sell eggs by weight. It was an experience to remember. If you like cervasa, they sell coronas with a lanyard for $1 @. The food and the people are great.

Have a great time and eat a shrimp for me.:D

Clackey

The bus from the ship drops you off at a block of shopping boths. If you go to the street at the rear and turn left. toward the beach, and walk about three blocks you will be at the beach. In the last block, on the right, was an open air bar, with the Corona Girls dancing outside, where they have the low cost deals on beer. We got three beers, three lanyards, two hats and two tatoos for three dollars.

The bus from the ship drops you off at a block of shopping boths. If you go to the street at the rear and turn left. toward the beach, and walk about three blocks you will be at the beach. In the last block, on the right, was an open air bar, with the Corona Girls dancing outside, where they have the low cost deals on beer. We got three beers, three lanyards, two hats and two tatoos for three dollars.

Hey Dave;

So that's where the tatoos came from. Thanks, guy, I've racked my brain for 2 months, trying to remember where I got the tatoos. There is just one problem, Dave. I DON'T KNOW ANYONE NAMED RUBY!:D

Now all joking aside, Progreso was a neat stop. No rush, no worry, just a quite day on the beach and a stroll through a real mexican town. I hope you saw the plaza shopping center, it was like nothing that you will see in the states.

Looking forward to another adventure on the high seas.

Clackey

Thanks everyone for all of the help!

Please tell us about those THREE BLOCKS we have to walk to get there ... safe area?

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I thought it was a safe area, but you never know when some crazed tatoo artist is going to attack. There was one time when I was headed back to my palapa when someone stepped on my hand, and I don't know how I got all of these lanyards. But as a whole, I guess that you could call it a safe area.

This is a poor town with good people trying to make a living. Don't worry, just have a good time and drop them a little change for their trinkets. The shopping is great, the food and drinks are fantastic and who knows, maybe someday we will get to retire down there.

Now how did that tatoo get THERE?:D

Clackey

The area felt very safe and the people friendly. We walked back from the beach and for several blocks around the area where the bus back to the ship was. Progreso has not yet gone total tourist so there were lots of people going about their business on the streets.

Make sure you check out all the booths set up in the little area where they let you off. Lots of values. Some shops told me they are almost giving the stuff away.

We were in Progresso last year. DH and I walked around the town most of the stay there. Found the best pair of sandals I've ever had.

There is a really cool market - with a butcher shop that is totally cool. Caution - don't enter if you have a queazy stomach.

We enjoyed the town a lot but were not too impressed with the beach at the end of the pier. Love the shopping area - got some good deals.

The area felt very safe and the people friendly. We walked back from the beach and for several blocks around the area where the bus back to the ship was. Progreso has not yet gone total tourist so there were lots of people going about their business on the streets.

Make sure you check out all the booths set up in the little area where they let you off. Lots of values. Some shops told me they are almost giving the stuff away.

Thanks so very much! We love Spanish speaking ports!!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers

We were in Progresso last year. We enjoyed the town a lot but were not too impressed with the beach at the end of the pier.

Melissa .... Can you or someone PLEASE help me out? I'm confused!

Is the beach "at the end of the pier" CORONA BEACH???

HELP!!!! Happy Sailing! OCruisers

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...there is the Corona Beach Break and then I've heard about some other place that has restrooms, lounge chairs, restaurant, etc., El M something?

Is it just all "one" beach? I'm really confused about what to do in Progresso. Not sure about doing the Reef Yucatan resort that is offered on the shuttle bus. Someone that was in Progresso in late March posted it was $30 per person and there was no lunch. $60 is pretty pricey for 2 and no lunch in my opinion especially if you are not big drinkers. Toying with just going on our own and spending a few hours on the beach but not sure of facilities, etc. Would like a tiki hut, lounge chair and a place that we could get some snacks, bottled water, drinks and a clean restroom.

Help!

IS THERE A FREE BUS THAT RUNS FROM THE PIER TO THE TOWN OF PROGRESO?

PLEASE EMAIL ME AT FLAMINGOWIZARD@YAHOO.COM THANK YOU.

Anyone know where Corona Beach is in Progresso? Is that the beach at the end of the pier? I was debating on whether or not to sign up for the Corona Beach Break w/ Carnival for 35.00. I don't want to pay 35.00 if this is a beach that I can walk to.

• 2 weeks later...

Corona Beach is great!!! Very relaxing. You could by a corona with a necklace holder for the beer bottle--for $1. It was great!!! Yes it is definetly with in walking distace---and totally safe....it's kind of interesting seeing other peoples way of life....I would love to go back and just spend a few days there!!!:p

We are planning on renting a car and going to Chitchen. We've been to the Yucatan 6 times and have never seen the place, so this time we are destined to go. After reading the boards, I want to go to corona beach too! Will we have time? We port from 8-4. PS Whay don't they port people a little longer in this place? At least until 6??????

• 4 weeks later...
I just want to be sure I have this correct: When we dock in Progresso we can actually walk to Corona Beach? or Do we need to take the bus?

Hola Flash,

Take the Bus. If you look to your left when the bus comes off of the pier into town, you will see the beach. The bus will then turn left and stop at a small tourist market area. If you turn left at the next street you have a 2 or 3 block walk to the beach. The Corona Girls:D have a couple of tents there and there are several good places to eat on the Malecon (Main Street). The venders will bug the fire out of you but, what the heck, they live in a country where the minimum wage is around 50 cent an hour. If you want to explore, try walking off of the beaten path and go into the heart of town. This is real Mexico. Neat little shops and nice people. Some are peeling oranges while others weigh out eggs for sale. I've never seen eggs sold by the pound before. I guess they use the metric system so they probably sell them by the Kilo. How many eggs are in a kilo? Shoot, now I'll have to go back to buy eggs.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

• 3 months later...
Corona Beach is great!!! Very relaxing. You could by a corona with a necklace holder for the beer bottle--for $1. It was great!!! Yes it is definetly with in walking distace---and totally safe....it's kind of interesting seeing other peoples way of life....I would love to go back and just spend a few days there!!!:p

i'm going on the carnival tour to corona beach evryone tells me it's nice. can anyone tell me what the $35.00 covers? someone told me that it covers all u can drink there does anyone know if thats true? thank u. janey

• 2 months later...

Let me get this straight. The Corona beach is right off of the pier and the cruise line is charging you 30 for a free ride and "unlimited" drinks? I can just walk there with my family right? I am taking my wife, 2yo and 1yo in december. Will the walk be safe for the kiddos? Also how much is the beer and is there a charge to enter the beach?

Archived