Medical Emergency on Spirit

jenpan

Spirit will be late arriving back into New Orleans on Sunday due to medical emergency evacuation by Coast Guard Helicopter. We had to go off course, headed east and are now heading back NW to get back on course. Hopefully, the person will be OK. Do not know what the emergency was but I watched the helicopter from aft cabin 9710 balcony off the back of the ship lift someone into the helicopter using the basket.

Wondering what, if any comments here will be next week.

One time on a flight we had to set down unexpectedly to get a Diabetic to a hospital. The passengers were the nastiest bunch of (@@@@@@@@) I'd ever seen. But at least they held their their traps until the poor lady was off the plane. I have no doubt they would have preferred to let her die and just continue on without delay. I'm just so proud to be an American sometimes :(

Thank you for the posting guys! My daughter is on the ship with a lot of Spring Breakers and I had not heard a word. Nothing on the NCL website either. I called NCL twice and got that they will be in at 4:00 and the other guy said 3:00. Not sure why two answers but we all know that is how it is (which is why I called twice). Latest plane (flying Southwest) to get my daughter out on is 5:15; I really hope they make up some time and she is able to get on the flight. I am surprised and intrigued that the delay is so much. I would expect up to a few hours but this is a lot. As far as the people complaining...at least it is not my daughter on the medical emergency; I can handle a flight change. It can ALWAYS be worse. I hope the person is doing okay.

Wondering what, if any comments here will be next week.

One time on a flight we had to set down unexpectedly to get a Diabetic to a hospital. The passengers were the nastiest bunch of (@@@@@@@@) I'd ever seen. But at least they held their their traps until the poor lady was off the plane. I have no doubt they would have preferred to let her die and just continue on without delay. I'm just so proud to be an American sometimes :(

It always amazes me that people complain because they have been inconvenienced while someone's life hangs in the balance...

Okay, so I am frustrated with all of the misinformation I am getting. I have heard 3:00, 4:00 and then my daughter has been told 5:00. Crew Mom, do you have any other insight? I understand there is a delay and it is valid but they should know when they are arriving so we can plan!

I am on the Spirit right now. We are traveling at 17knots and have 415 nautical miles to go to NO. Earlier today in a meeting the captain told us arrival between 3-5pm but that could change based on the Miss. River traffic, etc. It is now 4:40pm as I type and remember daylight saving time starts at 2am Sunday morning, so we will lose an hour. I assume the captain's time estimation included accounting for daylight saving time.

We just need to be patient. I certainly would want an ill person taken care of, flights and hotel reservations can be changed. Ones life can't be given back!

I am on the Spirit right now. We are traveling at 17knots and have 415 nautical miles to go to NO. Earlier today in a meeting the captain told us arrival between 3-5pm but that could change based on the Miss. River traffic, etc. It is now 4:40pm as I type and remember daylight saving time starts at 2am Sunday morning, so we will lose an hour. I assume the captain's time estimation included accounting for daylight saving time.

We just need to be patient. I certainly would want an ill person taken care of, flights and hotel reservations can be changed. Ones life can't be given back!

Jenpan, thank you so much for the update. I had thought of daylight savings time also and wondered if it had been taken into consideration. I really appreciate your notification and updates. I will be holding my breath until you dock and she is on the plane.

hlsess...I hope your daughter has a wonderful time on her trip. Thanks for the update 'from the other side'.

Just a hypothetical question here....If one has cruise insurance but not flight insurance....would a delay such as this cover flight expenses due to a missed flight?

Godspeed to those who suffered a medical emergency!

Just a hypothetical question here....If one has cruise insurance but not flight insurance....would a delay such as this cover flight expenses due to a missed flight?

It depends on the policy but usually you would not be covered for any flight changes if you didn't include your flight with your insurance.

9876, I would recommend going ahead and booking your daughter a refundable hotel room for New Orleans for tomorrow - look for one that allows you to cancel up until 6pm. That way your daughter will have a room secured if she isn't able to catch that 5:15pm flight - and you'll know before 6pm if she didn't make that flight.

Frustrated because the captain can only estimate between 3 and 5, and others have said 3, 4 and 5? Wow. Now that is a low frustration threshold!

Bill

Wow, judge much? I was frustrated because everytime I call I get a different answer. I don't care what entity I am dealing with that is frustrating.

The best answer I have gotten is from this board. The only one who said between 3 and 5 is Jenpan on this board and her explanation makes complete sense. (thank you Jenpan!) Yes, I have issues that NCL rep cannot tell me that and I have to find the details on a message board. NCL is the one who gave me three times, not a window. Last time I checked they also have not posted a thing on the website about the delay.

When you are trying to figure out how to make it home a couple of hours can make a huge difference, especially when you are flying east and have a time change.

Unless you are in the situation don't be so fast to judge. Thanks for your concern.

Okay, so I am frustrated with all of the misinformation I am getting. I have heard 3:00, 4:00 and then my daughter has been told 5:00. Crew Mom, do you have any other insight? I understand there is a delay and it is valid but they should know when they are arriving so we can plan!

It will all be fine and you are getting the best information available out there. It's very difficult to pinpoint an exact time as it depends on currents, winds, tides, speed, river traffic, pilot availability, berthing etc. Too many variables to pinpoint a narrow time frame. I know they are doing their best to get there as soon as possible as they need to offload 2000 passengers (who are grumpy because they have to change their travel plans) and their luggage, garbage and recycling, refuel, clean the entire ship, remake rooms, reload 2000 passengers (who are also grumpy because they are late loading) and their luggage, plus food and produce and I'm sure a crew member or two in a timely manner. Normally they have 10 hours to do all this and tomorrow they will have to try to get it done in a couple of hours. No time off for the crew tomorrow. And yes, they are taking daylight savings time into consideration.

For some reason they medivac to Key West from that area of the Caribbean. I guess there are no other facilities closer. So the ship diverts toward Key West and they fly out and meet the ship. Long way to go for the passenger in a medical crisis.

I'm sure it will all work out fine for your daughter. Worse case scenario she gets to spend a few extra hours / overnight in NOLA. That could be fun! I'm assuming she's traveling with friends? At least you are able to take care of her flight changes for her so it will all be planned for her so she's not standing at the airport dealing with it like many other people will be doing.

If I hear anything different I will post here.

Thanks Crew Mom. I know it will all work out; again, she is safe and healthy. I have a back up to the back up right now. She has class on Monday and SHE really wants to get back for them. I guess that we did something right along the way. I do feel for the crew. That is a nightmare turnover. Not only are they delayed but they lost an hour. Sounds like they do a great job though...she has nothing but wonderful things to say about her trip. Thanks again for your help. I truly appreciate it.

They called mid day today to let us know not to show up until 5PM for check in. I have been tracking the ship on the net, but she has a ways to go. I hope the person who was airlifted gets better.

We will take advantage of the delay to see some of NOLA. If the ship truly comes in at around 4.... oh boy. Pax trying to get off, Pax trying to get into the terminal. This should be fun. Putting on a happy face and taking a deep breath. It will be all good once we get to our cabin. Wondering if we will lose a port or just report late to Costa Maya. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the updates and CC. :D

Since this is the SPIRIT, lets hope everyone on it tonight can be in good spirits tomorrow when they get off, and the staff can be in good spirits with such short time to clean and get ready for us who are boarding it tomorrow.

If we were the one who was airlifted, or one of their friends or family, we would understand the need to inconvenience so many other to save a life.

We will get on and be thankful we still can go and have a great cruise, but, that could also happen to us...just part of cruising, taking chances, hoping to have a great vacation.

Archived